• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRP barrel extension

long range sponge

Not quite OAF, more App-erator AF
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Springfield OH
Anyone ever had luck getting one of the barrel extensions off? I've got a 5.56 barrel I'm willing to sacrifice for a grendel conversion. Am I nuts or is it a viable possibility? Any advice is appreciated.

I personally hadn’t thought of doing it myself, because the system simply isn’t designed for it. It’s probably more trouble than it’s worth. I had a link to a guy that did conversions, but it’s no longer a valid address. Possibly an other member has an up to date link. Definitely a weak point in that particular weapons system IMO.

I love my MRP 10.5”, truly does what it’s suppose to and doesn’t complain. I’ve been looking at getting a pair of the new Mloc LMTs but am hesitant to due to the continuing lack of after market barrel offerings.

I think I emailed the same person I believe El XOLO is referring to years ago and never got a reply about adding a MRP extension to a typical AR barrel.

Long range sponge,
Now that I think about it. I’m curious as to what would it take to remove the extension. If you’re willing to sacrifice the barrel, and post your experience online? I think it could be a good lesson. All in the ghetto science right?

RampedRaptor,
That’s unfortunate. It’s a good system for sure. I gave mine to my brother. Logistically it looks like stock piling barrels from LMT is the most practical solution. It’s also the reason why I’m building a more tradition style SPR.

Tuesday is my next day off. I'll pull the 5.56 barrel and look at it. My wife's uncle is a machinist so I may have him check it out next week. Maybe he can fiddle with it and make relief cuts to release the extension. If we come up with a plan or actually make some progress I'll definitely take pics/video and post it.

Reactions: El Xolo Mexicano
The mrp extension is the same length and diameter as a standard ar15 extension, minus the locating pin.

I did some 6.5G barrels by dremelling the locating pin off, installing the barrel-getting the feed ramps lined up, marking, and round filing the front bolt slot. Not elegant, but it works.

Of course a smith could do a much better job.

Std. extension measured with calipers. Dia.=.999”, length to flange=.987”.

Last edited:
Laseredge,
That’s actually good to know. It’s probably a good idea for anybody with this weapon system to know these things. That way we can throw something together in a pinch, or God forbid in some kind of emergency.

There’s ways to modify existing ar15 barrels to work with mrps ...no need for the mrp extention.

BHW barrel on top. MRP barrel on bottom. I would essentially need a sleeve over the BHW to allow for the cut for the retaining screw. Correct?

Attachments

• 20180904_161622.jpg
    20180904_161622.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: tjdaley
Looks that way. Getting a proper fitting sleeve is probably the biggest issue. You can probably do the cut with a hand file like Laseredge stated.

Reactions: tjdaley
I had a barrel done by the guy on ar15barrels.com. Randall is his name. It turned out great. All he did was thread the portion in front of the extension and then put a sleeve on. Then the notch is installed for the cross bolt. Only thing it’s missing is the little thing that supports the gas tube. No big deal as long as you’re careful with it. No need to cannibalize anything. I had a stainless Grendel barrel done this way. Shoots great. I love the LMT setup.

I got a hold of Randall. He sent me a quote of approx $250 to thread the outside of the barrel near the extension and make the sleeve. I'll post up if I have it done.

Looks great. Let us know. I have a proof barrel I want to get converted.

I got a hold of Randall. He sent me a quote of approx $250 to thread the outside of the barrel near the extension and make the sleeve. I'll post up if I have it done.
Interesting. I figured they'd just turn a sleeve a few thousandths under then heat it, drop it on then cut the groove

You're missing a space between these 2 words. theirbarrel
This Pre-Order is open to ten people that would like to send in theirbarrel for the conversion.
To clarify... the website states that "You will need to supply: AR15 barrel, MRP upper, Cross bolts". Does this mean that the MRP upper needs to be sent to you along with the AR15 barrel?

Got the typo fixed.

Correct, you’d need to supply those three things. No modification is done to the upper, just to verify fitment.

Reactions: SpeedyR
Are you re-parkerizing the barrel after it is turned down for the MRP sleeve?

They are looking great! I am considering a V7 barrel conversion to send you or a Stretch 16 very soon.

Looks good!!! Are those threaded on or press fit? Also it looks like the sleeve goes over the chamber area in the front when the barrel tapers down, is there a gap there?

Just got done making a prototype. Plan to offer this in the near future.
View attachment 7233369
Have you done a 7.62 barrel for the MRP-H MLOK 15.5 LM308BML4A or MRP-H MLOK 12.5 UPPER LM308BML1 monolithic upper? I have confirmed D. Wilson will not do conversions for those uppers.

I do not have an existing barrel and was hoping to use one of these or something similar:
Barrels with rifle gas length
BrandLDescriptionPN/SKUTwistJournalMaterialContourMSRPGas BlockGas Tube
Ballistic Adv18".308 HEAVY PROFILE RIFLE LENGTH AR 308 BARREL, MODERN SERIESBABL308007M1:10".7504150 CrMoVChrome$240.00
Ballistic Adv20".308 HEAVY PROFILE RIFLE LENGTH AR 308 BARREL, MODERN SERIESBABL308006M1:11".7504150 CrMoVChrome$250.00
Criterion18"DPMS PATTERN 308 HYBRID BARREL, RIFLE GAS, NITRIDE1018S-HYR-N1:10".750SS-416RNitride$359.99Badger Ordnance TDX Gas Manifold 0.750″ Stainless SteelBCM Gas Tube
Criterion20"DPMS PATTERN 308 HYBRID BARREL, RIFLE GAS, NITRIDE1020S-HYR-N1:11".750SS-416RNitride$359.99
Criterion18"DPMS PATTERN 308 HYBRID BARREL, RIFLE GAS, CHROME10180-HYR1:10".7504150 CrMoVChrome$359.99
Criterion20"DPMS PATTERN 308 HYBRID BARREL, RIFLE GAS, CHROME10200-HYR1:11".7504150 CrMoVChrome$359.99
Criterion18"DPMS PATTERN 308 HYBRID BARREL, RIFLE GAS, STAINLESS1018S-HYR1:10".750SS-416RStainless$339.99
Criterion20"DPMS PATTERN 308 HYBRID BARREL, RIFLE GAS, STAINLESS1020S-HYR1:11".750SS-416RStainless$339.99
Fulton Armory18.5".308 AR, Medium Weight, 1x10, Stainless, Match Quality, FA by CriterionFA-TU-0031:10".936410StainlessM110$374.95Gas Block, Adjustable, Low Profile, .936, Clamp On, SLR Sentry
Fulton Armory20"Barrel, 20", .308 AR, M110, 1x10, Stainless, Match Quality, FA by CriterionFA-TU-005-TM-SS1:10".875410StainlessM110$369.95Gas Block, Adjustable, Low Profile, .875, Clamp On, SLR Sentry
Fulton Armory20".308 AR, M110, 1x10, Stainless, Threaded, Match Quality, KriegerFA-TU-007-SS1:10".875410StainlessM110$634.95Gas Block, Adjustable, Low Profile, .875, Clamp On, SLR Sentry
I already have the MRP-H MLOK 15.5 LM308BML4A monolithic upper, so I would need a low-profile gas block to fit under the rail. The gas blocks in the table above are just representative of what is available.