• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MSA Sordins best vendor?

Elnino31

Spanish for The Nino
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I don’t think that my Howard leights are getting the job done any longer. Looking at finally ordering a set of quality Sordin muffs

Any leads on the best vendor? I’d prefer not to use Amazon.

Problem is finding em, honestly after running a set for the last 7-8yrs they're still going strong I just bought another set at the best price I could find. A lot of stocking dealers didn't have any available.

I’ll try SrS tactical.

Always looking for a reason to place a Triad order, but they’re sold out

Thanks guys

Triad.
Also great for replacement parts...like when a chipmunk eats your gel pads.

Reactions: Duc
Thanks for thinking of Triad, but we are no longer MSA dealers. MSA gave Amazon a smoking price that drove us out of the market. As always with the Sordin/MSA muffs, be sure that you are getting muffs imported by MSA(they should say MSA on the ear cups, NOT Sordin). MSA will not service/warranty Sordin muffs, since they were made for the US market since they can contain different electronics.

Reactions: sleeplz
SRS Tactical will take care of any repair needs. I had an old Sordin MSA that was on the fritz. SRS made a speedy, inexpensive repair and returned them ASAP.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
Thanks for thinking of Triad, but we are no longer MSA dealers. MSA gave Amazon a smoking price that drove us out of the market. As always with the Sordin/MSA muffs, be sure that you are getting muffs imported by MSA(they should say MSA on the ear cups, NOT Sordin). MSA will not service/warranty Sordin muffs, since they were made for the US market since they can contain different electronics.

Well dang. Went to Triad to order a pair finally and saw you didn't have them anymore. Searched Google but it doesn't seem like many people stock them other than Amazon.

Came to the hide to find info.

Is it better to forget about them at this point and find an alternative? Not wanting to buy from Amazon but also not wanting a spendy pair of ear pro with zero support here in the states.

Well dang. Went to Triad to order a pair finally and saw you didn't have them anymore. Searched Google but it doesn't seem like many people stock them other than Amazon.

Came to the hide to find info.

Is it better to forget about them at this point and find an alternative? Not wanting to buy from Amazon but also not wanting a spendy pair of ear pro with zero support here in the states.
I don't understand. Did you read the rest of the thread? SRS Tactical has them.

I really like my Supreme Pro-X headset....my favorite ear pro after sorting through a bunch that reside in the closet and in the range bag as backups. The Gel ear seals are very comfy, I can wear them for hours.

I did read on their website that SRS does repairs. And I'm reading 5 year warranty against water damage. I'm not sure how it shakes out with Sordin being acquired. But since someone paid for their brand/company, I would imagine they want to keep making money on the good products.

Here is some history and things as explained to me by MSA brand managers for North America over the years:

SORDIN was purchased by MSA, MSA started distributing SORDIN muffs, branded MSA in the USA though the MSA Authorized dealer network.
SRS Tactical was not a MSA dealer, but they were importing SORDIN branded muffs from SORDIN's European dealers. There was nothing illegal about this that I was ever aware of, MSA just didn't like it. Since these were being imported into the US outside of the MSA network, MSA considered them to be "grey market" products and MSA North America would not cover them under the warranty. This meant SORDIN branded muffs from SRS were not covered and would have to be sent back to the last authorized dealer point, which in this case somewhere in Europe, for service.

If you were shopping for muffs in the US and saw SORDIN on the ear cup, you could be pretty certain in was a grey market import. If the ear cup said MSA on it, you were getting something that came in through MSA authorized dealer network.

So why does it matter? MSA had standardized the electronic components on models they had submitted for testing(OSHA?) and NRR certification in the USA. These were the models they were prepared to warranty and service in the USA. SORDIN could, and apparently did, change certain components in the Euro models they were distributing over there. This would mean the US service center would be unable to work on these muffs if they ended up in the USA.

I heard from a lot of people that bought Euro SORDINs that tried to get service from MSA in the US and were told they had to ship them back to Sweden for service. Just a couple hundred dollars in shipping. I did also hear from a few people that had sent broken muffs back to SRS for service. I don't think they were serviced, but replaced since they had no way to service them.

I used my first pair of SORDINs in 2005 (still use that pair all the time BTW) and Triad became MSA dealer a couple years later. I was constantly pushing MSA to improve the offerings to include the OD ear cups, the headband models to the US market (which they did). Triad was the first US authorized dealer to offer the silicon gel rings as a factory installed option. Triad sold a lot of MSA muffs over the years, but we parted ways over the Amazon thing.

I have not looked at the status of MSA/SORDIN for a couple years, no dog in the fight anymore, but as always buyer beware.

Just order from SRS Tactical. They have MSA/Sordin and Sordin branded products. When I ordered another pair of MSA I received Sordin. SRS repairs both and the newer Sordin is claimed to be an updated model. My MSA was over five years old so I paid full price for the battery box to be replaced.

Just order from SRS Tactical. They have MSA/Sordin and Sordin branded products. When I ordered another pair of MSA I received Sordin. SRS repairs both and the newer Sordin is claimed to be an updated model. My MSA was over five years old so I paid full price for the battery box to be replaced.
You ordered MSA, but got Sordin? I guess it doesn't matter if SRS going to warranty either/both.
Interesting to see MSA brand on their site, I still dont see them on the MSA dealer listings.
Anyway, Hairball, I hope your muffs have a long and use-full life.

Yes, the description and pic on the site showed them as MSA but Sordin is what arrived. I thought about sending them back until I found out that they are basically the same and they repair both so it should not be an issue. My MSA pair would started to shut off under recoil. Had the battery box replaced and they seem to be good now. I used them at the February class put on by Frank and Marc and they did not have any issues so hopefully they will last. I keep the newer Sordin pair as a back-up.

Reactions: Triad