• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MSA vs Sordin

DaChank

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
So I've been looking at picking up a set of new ear pro and noticed there are 2 different kinds of supreme pro x available. One branded MSA and the other branded Sordin. Is there any difference between these? Sordin branded is a bit cheaper and available on Amazon which is ideal

It was a result of an aquisition and name change in 2018. If it's just branded Sordin, then they are newer

Wikmanshyttan Safety acquires MSA Sordin and forms a new global leader in Hearing Protection Wikmanshyttan Safety AB today announced it has acquired MSA Sordin AB, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MSA Safety Incorporated (NYSE: MSA), to form a leading company in the global market for active and passive hearing protection. The new company group, which has adopted the name Sordin AB, has 90 employees in Värnamo and Vikmanshyttan, Sweden.

I think that companies name would be translated as:
White Man Shitting

At any rate, same units pretty much. The newer ones are much more reliable, but I can’t imagine you will find an old one still on the shelf anywhere.

Old units can be noted as they don’t have a tethered battery cap.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
If I recall correctly, Sordin is a subsidiary company of MSA. Have had a pair of Sordins for nearly a decade and they work well. Don't skimp on hearing protection.

I have a pair of TCI (I think rebranded) MSAs that I acquired and just picked up a new pair for the wife (she kept stealing mine) and they seem identical. Here
is the box they came in:

Attachments

• 606FB983-18EF-48D9-8EAA-E3352B26F7B4.jpeg
    606FB983-18EF-48D9-8EAA-E3352B26F7B4.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 287
  • F4817DF5-DA5F-47CE-BD92-823F5FA7B508.jpeg
    F4817DF5-DA5F-47CE-BD92-823F5FA7B508.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 404
I'm pretty freaking happy with my 26 DbA Walkers and I didn't pay $200+ for them either.

But I don't look OAF with them on

It was a result of an aquisition and name change in 2018. If it's just branded Sordin, then they are newer

Wikmanshyttan Safety acquires MSA Sordin and forms a new global leader in Hearing Protection Wikmanshyttan Safety AB today announced it has acquired MSA Sordin AB, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MSA Safety Incorporated (NYSE: MSA), to form a leading company in the global market for active and passive hearing protection. The new company group, which has adopted the name Sordin AB, has 90 employees in Värnamo and Vikmanshyttan, Sweden.
^^^ this
They are the same but Sordins are newer as others have said. Better waterproofing than some older models..Supreme-X anyway. I’ve seen MSA labeled Supreme-X though. One thing to keep in mind is Sordin warranty repairs have to be mailed back to Sweden on your dime unless you get them through a dealer that makes repairs. (See screenshot)
MSA are stateside. The place I bought from in FL fixed my battery compartment, which was loose and would shut off the muffs if recoil from the gun hit them. Now they don’t.
85B425BE-0F1D-4FD2-8D2F-B929B16CBF23.png

Reactions: DaChank
^^^ this
They are the same but Sordins are newer as others have said. Better waterproofing than some older models..Supreme-X anyway. I’ve seen MSA labeled Supreme-X though. One thing to keep in mind is Sordin warranty repairs have to be mailed back to Sweden on your dime unless you get them through a dealer that makes repairs. (See screenshot)
MSA are stateside. The place I bought from in FL fixed my battery compartment, which was loose and would shut off the muffs if recoil from the gun hit them. Now they don’t.
View attachment 7508875
That’s absolutely ridiculous

Man definitely making me rethink going w the Sordins. Any good alternatives in the same price range?

The place I bought from in FL fixed my battery compartment, which was loose and would shut off the muffs if recoil from the gun hit them. Now they don’t.

Mine just started doing that on my last range trip a few days ago. Happened three times in a two hour period. They would shut off and I would shoot a few more rounds and then push the power button and they would beep and come back on. My MSA product was shipped from overseas so I thought about just buying a new pair and keeping these as a back-up as the time and money to ship them back may not be worth it.

I might contact SRSTactical and see if they can fix them

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
Quote from Triad a month ago;

“Thanks for thinking of Triad, but we are no longer MSA dealers. MSA gave Amazon a smoking price that drove us out of the market. As always with the Sordin/MSA muffs, be sure that you are getting muffs imported by MSA(they should say MSA on the ear cups, NOT Sordin). MSA will not service/warranty Sordin muffs, since they were made for the US market since they can contain different electronics.“

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Mine just started doing that on my last range trip a few days ago. Happened three times in a two hour period. They would shut off and I would shoot a few more rounds and then push the power button and they would beep and come back on. My MSA product was shipped from overseas so I thought about just buying a new pair and keeping these as a back-up as the time and money to ship them back may not be worth it.
I ordered from SRS Tactical through Amazon and they replaced my battery compartment and no problems since. My right muff has a lot of scapes from recoil but works fine now.
7E62FB60-42A4-476F-9418-6596E06356B8.png

Reactions: sinister
I went ahead and ordered a new pair (same thing...SRS through Amazon) and I will send off the other pair and see if they can fix them.

Reactions: db2000
I'm pretty freaking happy with my 26 DbA Walkers and I didn't pay $200+ for them either.

But I don't look OAF with them on

if i didnt have an excuse to write off a pair of Peltor Comtacs as a business expense....ide still be rocking Howard Leight Impact Sports

the only real benefit Sordins and Peltors have over cheaper brands is how they muffle sound....cheaper brands just shut off the microphone when they detect a gun shot.....peltors take that gunshot and reduce the volume, so you never lose hearing.

unless you need to communicate when you are shooting.....youd never notice the difference honestly.

as far as actual hearing protection....i feel like Howard Leights actually offer better protection than Peltors do.

peltors take that gunshot and reduce the volume, so you never lose hearing.

Not these cheap ass peltors that I used to have till I lost them at a range somewhere. They shut right off but not until the amplification had let one shot get through.
1608694107266.png

These are miles better
1608694238170.png

^^^ this
MSA are stateside. The place I bought from a place in FL off Amazon call SRS I believe.
View attachment 7508875
Response I got to the question if there’s any difference in MSA, MSA Sordin or Sordin muffs, specifically electronic components.
06384DA2-F307-4E1F-80F7-782668229C3E.png

The cheap ear pro sucks. The electronics are trash, you cant have a good conversation, they lag/mute sound instead of deleting it, and hurt if you wear them alot. They are also made in china.

Make sure you buy Sordins from an actual dealer. There are cheaper grey market dealers out there, but they come with no warranty.

The 3 Ear Pros that is worth buying is the Sordin Prox X, Peltor Comtacs and the Ops Core. Buddy is USAFSOC and was issued all 3, and currently wears the Ops Inc as they are his favorite.

Anyone who says their howard lights or other cheap crap works fine doesn't know what they are talking about. Its like someone who has only eating macdonalds before saying Steak is overrated. They don't know what they don't know. We have all run the cheap stuff, and compared to those listed above, they suck ass.

Reactions: Gil P. and Mr.Kirk
I've had nearly two dozen sets of MSAs serviced or repaired by SRS in Florida. A great operation and bunch of dudes.

The newer ones seem to have better electronics than the set I bought around 2010.

I received my new set (sordin) from SRS a few days ago and today I sent off my other pair (msa) to them for repair.

No one asked, but I don't Covid care anymore. Someone might think it useful.

I found one of the frustrating aspects of changing batteries was getting the damn things out easily, particularly the lower battery, as well as seating the lower battery in the compartment.

So, I used red loctite to secure a super magnet to a simple bore-squeege to easily snatch the battery out and then a simple aluminum sight punch (Dawson) that is exactly the AA diameter so one end pushes the lower battery partially downward, the barrel end of the punch is inserted to properly seat it in the lower position.

I now happily smirk every time a battery change is needed.

IMG_5481 copy.jpg
IMG_5482 copy.jpg
IMG_5483 copy.jpg
IMG_5484 copy.jpg
IMG_5485 copy.jpg

SRS in Florida has repaired several sets of these for me by putting new/thicker shrink tube over the cables to prevent ultraviolet (sunlight) / dry-rot cable sheath deterioration:

Sordin.jpg

No one asked, but I don't Covid care anymore. Someone might think it useful.

I found one of the frustrating aspects of changing batteries was getting the damn things out easily, particularly the lower battery, as well as seating the lower battery in the compartment.

So, I used red loctite to secure a super magnet to a simple bore-squeege to easily snatch the battery out and then a simple aluminum sight punch (Dawson) that is exactly the AA diameter so one end pushes the lower battery partially downward, the barrel end of the punch is inserted to properly seat it in the lower position.

I now happily smirk every time a battery change is needed.

View attachment 7522606View attachment 7522607View attachment 7522608View attachment 7522609View attachment 7522610
How often do you change batteries? I have a pair that are used daily for work and still on the original batteries after three years.

The cheap ear pro sucks. The electronics are trash, you cant have a good conversation, they lag/mute sound instead of deleting it, and hurt if you wear them alot. They are also made in china.

Make sure you buy Sordins from an actual dealer. There are cheaper grey market dealers out there, but they come with no warranty.

The 3 Ear Pros that is worth buying is the Sordin Prox X, Peltor Comtacs and the Ops Core. Buddy is USAFSOC and was issued all 3, and currently wears the Ops Inc as they are his favorite.

Anyone who says their howard lights or other cheap crap works fine doesn't know what they are talking about. Its like someone who has only eating macdonalds before saying Steak is overrated. They don't know what they don't know. We have all run the cheap stuff, and compared to those listed above, they suck ass.

I agree about the Howard Leights... I never understand why they get such great recommendations on forums.

I will add Pro Ears Gold to the good list. I think their noise cancellation is as good or better than my Sordins. And I have 4-6 pair of each

How often do you change batteries? I have a pair that are used daily for work and still on the original batteries after three years.
I put a lot of range time on them so usually every 3-4 months, and I only use lithium batteries so the alkaline types don't randomly swell-leak-explode and destroy the electronics.

SRS in Florida has repaired several sets of these for me by putting new/thicker shrink tube over the cables to prevent ultraviolet (sunlight) / dry-rot cable sheath deterioration:
I find I need to use either electrical tape or marine grade shrink tubing to maintain- protect the cables in FLorida as well.
Currently two of these are at SRS to troubleshoot on/off switching issues.

I put a lot of range time on them so usually every 3-4 months, and I only use lithium batteries so the alkaline types don't randomly swell-leak-explode and destroy the electronics.
I should change the batteries out for some lithiums. I think I got the best set of alkalines ever if that's what is in there now. I can't remember.

I shot in walkers since 2011 and had non electronic ones before that. (I’ve never shot without ear pro, ever) I wish I got quality ear pro sooner. As all of us know there is certain price point in which you know quality isn’t skimped on. It’s sucks but it’s true. If someone is selling ear pro for <$100 you can kinda bet it doesn’t offer the same protection. I’m 35 and when a fire truck passes me on the street my right ear crackles like a blown speaker. And I can’t hear the tv if a fan is blowing towards me. The only thing in my life that exposes me on a regular basis to loud noises (hearing damage level) is shooting. I read for weeks it seems about the factors that come into effect when choosing ear pro (there is a lot more than just the number rating) before I went with my sordins. I’m super happy with them. I’ve never had muff so comfortable also (the gel cups are awesome) At this point I’m trying to not have hearing aids by the time I’m 40. Spend some money. Even if you have to spend it every 2 years who cares. (They cost the same as an 8lb jug of powder with hazmat) What you can get at bass pro doesn’t cut it long term. Walkers are shit!

Not to hijack, but what are you fellas putting on your kid’s head? All the children offerings seem shitty.

View attachment 7522635

This is the only problem I ever had with my MSA, after 10 years os use. Next time in Florida I will probably contact them to have new cable protection installed.
Thanks for the tip.

I had Peltor, but now i am using Sordin.
Why.
5 year warranty againsta 2 of Peltor.
Also Sordin is waterproof, Peltor not.
And i have quite big ears, Peltor was made for midgets, i am 6´4" :D
Also like that multicamo on Sordin.
SO9.JPG

^^^ this
View attachment 7508875
Re: (from the attachment) "I shoot almost daily and have competitions coming up."

Seriously you need to have a backup unit of any critical gear -- everything breaks.

Re: (from the attachment) "I shoot almost daily and have competitions coming up."

Seriously you need to have a backup unit of any critical gear -- everything breaks.
Thanks for the lecture, dad.
I was just bitching to customer service.

First, I don’t complete so that was a lie.

Second, do you really think I don’t have more than one set of muffs? 🤣

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Thanks for the lecture, dad.
I was just bitching to customer service.

First, I don’t complete so that was a lie.

Second, do you really think I don’t have more than one set of muffs? 🤣
I may well be old enough to be your dad, however, without a paternity test, I'm gong to deny it!
Carry on.

• Haha
Reactions: db2000
Ive owned two pairs and i thought they were overrated

cool kids gear

Standard Peltor Tactical work fine for me now, along with a few lower priced e-muffs

some things like TBAC cans, Arcteryx kneepads, and AI rifle actions seem like cool kids gear until you own them

i didnt see the fuss using these muffs ($$ though), communication was clear overall, suppression/reduction wasnt great

mine were both reliable and comfortable with gel pads, but wasnt worth the $ to me

(batteries could be a pain too)

just one opinion from a non-cool kid