• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing mule deer hunting

finnwerke757

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
virginia
Im looking to put together a mule deer hunt for a buddy and myself for next year. Any suggestions on who to contact for a decent hunt. We arent interested in some $5000/ea hunt for a record buck. We are looking for a reasonable hunt for a reasonable price. And horseback isnt an option for packing into a camp.

Re: mule deer hunting

There are a number of options available. It sounds like you want a guided hunt. If that is the case, PGS on here has pics of some really nice deer he has guided. There is another fella, by the screen name Skinny that has some decent hunts in SD too. I am sure one of them will be along soon to help you out.

If DIY is what you are after, I would try to narrow your search down to a state or two then get on their DFG website and figure out what your draw odds are. Utah for example has some great mule deer hunting, but for a limited entry unit, which you would want....prepare to wait awhile. You may want to consider New Mexico for draw odds or Wyoming.

Good luck.

Might try over the counter tags from Idaho or Montana for a DIY hunt. It's tough to not bump into at least reasonable mulie bucks in Montana if you get more than a mile off the road during the rut. Most likely the same for Idaho.

If you're not tenting it, make sure you make hotel reservations early!

If DIY is of any interest PM me. I'll put you in contact with a place I've hunted for several years.

i've got plenty of area in western SD, and access 2 over 30K in the sandhills of NE, i can book you up if your intereseted in our asking fee, last night i had a 170" mule deer infront of my MX4 @ 15yds, he horned the doe in the rear, turned her the "wrong" way and they both smelled me... Sucks, but it was fun as hell... on a side note i just had two archery hunters fill their whitetail tags, one from eastern SD the other from Texas..., I put Texas in the ladder stand I set up in one of our canyons, when i came to get him that evening he came walking out with his jaw hangin, he said, "man, I've hunted Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, other countries, and this is the most beautiful place I've hunted yet."

Skinney, I tried to PM you but you are over your limit. Can I email ya and get some details from you. Thanks

I've dropped some AWESOME mule deer in WY over the past few years, if RHYS is offering TAKE HIM UP ON IT! Tags there are mostly easy to get, far easier than here in AZ (hence i go there to get a mule deer).

I've also had friends who have come out of Montana with Monsters as well.

Personally I prefer self guided stuff as much as possible, i work with game and fish for many months to understand the conditions there, and talk to many local farmers / ranchers over the phone about their lands and how the game looks around them (the ones who live close to public lands).