• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing mule deer question

motodog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
gillette wy
hey guys i saw a really nice buck today on public land.it was one of those as we were driving along a trail he just showed up stories. well i through the truck to park and bailed out after him as he bolted away.i noticed as he was running off he was draggin a portion of his rear leg.so i got to a position to get off a very quick shot and came up with a very clear miss as it was a super hurried shot,we checked the area for almost 2 hour and could find no trace of a hit or any trail.my question is do you think he may of stayed in the same area or close its snowing tonight and was hoping that would help track him.thanks

Re: mule deer question

Most likely he will have moved off between a half mile and three miles. This being the rut he could be covering a very large area. A lot of times they circle around immediately, but that is right after they spook, not the next day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: motodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys i saw a really nice buck today on public land.it was one of those as we were driving along a trail he just showed up stories. well i through the truck to park and bailed out after him as he bolted away.i noticed as he was running off he was draggin a portion of his rear leg.so i got to a position to get off a very quick shot and came up with a very clear miss as it was a super hurried shot,we checked the area for almost 2 hour and could find no trace of a hit or any trail.my question is do you think he may of stayed in the same area or close its snowing tonight and was hoping that would help track him.thanks </div></div>

Oh boy, your hunting where I always bag a mule deer aren't you? I come up to Gillette, WY unfortunatley I don't know anyone up there so I tend to hunt on the public land there. I have always bagged my mule deer there off 59 south of the city (if i am not mistaken). We also have decent luck off 59 north east of the airport.

Anyway, off that rant. From my experiences hunting mule deer in Arizona and WY I found they want LOTS of area, and cover a huge area. Here in AZ the Mule deer like the more open area's similar to that of Gillette, one day we tracked a mule deer over 6 miles. He was constantly over 1000 yards out, and at times we lost him, but found him again. It's not hard for me to imagine a mule deer covering 3-8 miles per day easy, but they do "come back around" at some point, you just need to know their pattern. In WY I found that they came back around 3-4 days later, here in AZ I found it was more like 4-5 in the low desert area, but 2-3 days in the mountains. If their is snow involved that usually doesn't scare them off, but when we get more than 12" on the ground, they tend to look for area's with less snow or no snow at all.

I need to come back up your way and drop a few more Antelope (please not in a sea of sage, they taste so nasty then), and a Mule deer! I've always had GREAT hunts there in WY!

keep in mind the rut is in full swing right now and will be thru the rest of the month. his injuries are probably from fighting and he may stiffen up if he lays down and not travel much. on the other hand he is thinking with the wrong head and my be balls to the wall chasing does and lesser bucks. Good luck!

well i got an update on the deer.i was out walking the property today and ran into a guy out in the woods and from the discription he gave me it sounds like him and his son got the deer.i guess according to him he shot it then after it ran off a bit he shot it in the head blowing an antler off then his son shot it from another angle finally ending its life.i just laughed at him that it took 2 guys a couple shoots each to get the deer.i do not claim to be an expert shot at all but ive taken 2 animals so far this year and only use 2 bullets,243ai 75v-max=antelope 308 178 amax=dead cow elk.thanks for the info guys..

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the deer, that would have been nice to come home with for sure! Those deer up there taste awesome!

Tell me, do you hunt on the public land up there or do you have the hookup for private land?

i have both actually.i mostly prefer to hunt on public though for deer and antelope hell i really havent seen any differance between public and private around here theres animals all over.that bieng said every day is differant and each season is differant.hell this year if it wouldnt have been for the guys shooting at the speed goats on public land i wouldnt have got to shoot one on our private land.gees the goats were skidish this year.