• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multicam colors

sititunga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2009
I'm thinking of getting one of my ARs painted in multicam. Can anyone tell me what the correct colors are? I've seen a number of examples. The top version seems to be more common, and is the one I prefer. The bottom one is also multicam according to the company that did the paint job, however the greens and other colors seem much darker.

PRS.jpg

multicam_aics003.jpg

Re: Multicam colors

The top is definitely a more true representation of the orginal multicam colors. It's looks just like the Crye Precision stuff.

Look at maybe getting your stuff hydro dipped.

As the poster above mentioned, hydro dipping will give you the exact Multicam pattern. If it is painted, by you or another applicator, then it will just be an estimation of both the colors and pattern. A few painters have gotten really close with their trial and error paint mixes, but the hydro dip is still the best way to get true multicam. The PRS stock above is dipped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elephantrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the poster above mentioned, hydro dipping will give you the exact Multicam pattern. If it is painted, by you or another applicator, then it will just be an estimation of both the colors and pattern. A few painters have gotten really close with their trial and error paint mixes, but the hydro dip is still the best way to get true multicam. The PRS stock above is dipped. </div></div>

Makes sense but hydrodipping isn't as durable I don't think, Surgeon and GAP seem to be close if you look at their websites.

I have been painting rifles, pistols, and accessories for several years, and can't find the exact colors myself. There are several companies out there that will paint, but very few who will do an excellent job, in my opinion.

As mentioned, I would probably go with a hydro-dip if you are wanting a 'Perfect' camo and don't want to spend $300 on a paint job. I've done paint like what you are wanting done for friends and family, but it takes a considerable amount of time and prep. That figures into the cost.

As far as durability. Are you going to be dragging it through the desert or gravel? If not, I would just go with a dipped camo. It is fairly durable, and will stand up to most hunter's abuses. Just because it isn't 'Mil-Spec' doesn't mean it won't handle most civilian abuses.
wink.gif

Lastly, any camo pattern can be duplicated with stencils. The amount of time that goes into the job will be reflected in the price. I once did a MARPAT desert pattern on an M40A1, and it took me 3 weeks just because I had to go in and color individual pixels with my airbrush. Now that was a headache, but it turned out perfect.

Lauer Weaponry (Duracoat) has a selection of colors they call " MultiColor ", which is a pretty good approximation of most of the MC color-palette. Here are some examples using their "MultiColor" paint:

2010_0730jBsAR01.jpg

2010_0828REPR03.jpg

Note: Lauer's stencils DO NOT replicate the MC pattern. I created my own stencils. I also added a 7th color for the light grayish/white MC color.

Ultimately, the final product is based largely on a particular painter's ability to replicate the MC pattern. With the amount of work/time (and thus, cost) that it takes to get it right ..., hydro-dipping is a more cost-effective and straight-forward way of getting your gun multicam'd.

I hate to say this but going with a dip for the multicam pattern might be easiest and cheapest.... they usually can turn them around quicker too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to say this but going with a dip for the multicam pattern might be easiest and cheapest.... they usually can turn them around quicker too. </div></div>

I agree with this except, it won't be as durable as say duracoat or cerakote. If this is something you just have to have done and you plan on keeping the rifle for a long time I would say get it painted by a professional.

Todd Jackson aka 30calsniper painted my rifle, and although it costs more and takes more time than the hydro-dipping, IMO it was definatley worth it. Plus it matches perfectly, for some reason the dipped method just looks too fake to me.

009.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to say this but going with a dip for the multicam pattern might be easiest and cheapest.... they usually can turn them around quicker too. </div></div>

I agree with this except, it won't be as durable as say duracoat or cerakote. If this is something you just have to have done and you plan on keeping the rifle for a long time I would say get it painted by a professional.

Todd Jackson aka 30calsniper painted my rifle, and although it costs more and takes more time than the hydro-dipping, IMO it was definatley worth it. Plus it matches perfectly, for some reason the dipped method just looks too fake to me.

009.jpg
</div></div>

Doesn't he work for GAP now?

Here's another one of Todd's Multicam job's.

mar309003.jpg

Some of those paint jobs are real close. You could possibly have the hydrographics clearcoated with something more durable once it is done.

I've painted several rifles but don't really go for specific camo patterns. One of my fellow LEOs has been talking with a local vender who does the Hydro-dipping and says the key to a lasting and durable dipping is to allow propper setting time which I'm told is about three weeks. Of course this is third hand info, but it makes sense. He told me the guy will guarantee the work, if you leave the firearm with him for the full setting time.