• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Multicam Ghillie Suit

alexzeph142

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
Is multicam a good replacement for flight suits or woodland camo BDUs? What's a current reliable place to buy netting, fire resistant jute/burlap etc?

Re: Multicam Ghillie Suit

I haven't seen FR jute/burlap for sale, just the additive spray/wash that you use after you assemble your ghillie.

Alot of the supplies can be found with a good eye at various Army-Navy type surplus store. My rule of thumb is that the more muskier the smell is, the clutter and unorganization is, is usually the best stores.

But if you dont have a store to look around in, go to Tactical Concealment Mfg , they should have everything you need.

As for a base layer (i.e. BDU's), why no love for the deserts? I know your probably going to use a ghillie in a woodland area, but think of this: You can't make dark colors lighter, but you can always make light colors darker. That being said, if you have woodland cammies, there is alot of dark colors, especially black. Also black isn't a natural color found in nature. If I was building another ghillie, I would use a desert base layer and dye with various shades of greens and browns lightly until I get the effect I am looking for.

This is just merely tools in the box. I'm not telling you what to you, but rather telling what has worked best for me.
Multicam is a decent camo, not suitable for every terrain, but works pretty good in most. Just play around with other type of camo to see what will work best for your situation.

Hope this helps

a multicam set is gonna cost u quite some money compare to a bdu/dcu set that will set u back for probably 15 bux.

you can also try custom concealment (ghillie.com) . I think there getting ready to move their facility and not selling suits till they get to the new place, but you should be able to buy the ghillie panels ready to sew to your suit, and they should already be fire resist treated. I had met the owner a while back and hes a heck of a nice guy Im sure he'd help you out. I have some of their stuff and its pretty top notch.

there are of course others out there, just one more for you to shop around
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a multicam set is gonna cost u quite some money compare to a bdu/dcu set that will set u back for probably 15 bux. </div></div>

this.
multicam is expensive when you are just gonna jump in a swamp pit anyway.... they sort of all turn into mud after a while.....

That was my biggest mistake building my last ghillie. For what ever reason, I fell in love with Camo X and dropped $90 on a base...kicked myself in the nuts for that one. Looked great until the ghillie wash...then Camo X was BDU was MultiCam was DCU and so on. Unless you are looking for "hollywood points", go with a cheap base. By the time you jute up and veg up, all that you will see of your base is about the elbows done and the knees down. If you can personally justify the cost then give 'er hell, but IMHO don't waste your money.

Im working w/ tri color desert, multicam is too expensive for a guillie suit, would rather spend the money on reloading supplys.

ideally, it is best to work with a mid-tone, monochrome color bdu base and canvas/nylon. coyote-type colors work best. patterns aren't that important, but you don't want to have something that will contrast heavily with either the skids or the garnish scheme.

you don't need to spend a lot on the base, but if want it to last, you do need to be mindful of the materials with which the base is constructed. avoid poly/cotton twills! best option is to go with a 50/50 nyco (nylon/cotton) ripstop.

you can find bdu sets made with 50/50 nyco in most of the popular mil. patterns.

I built mine with woodland base and wished I had gone lighter, a quick burst of some tan paint and a little mud lined it out though

I don't really see the point, when properly concealed your base should not be visible anyway. For netting and jute tactical concealment is good.

I was able to get a bunch of old shelterhalves which worked well....cut in stips and combined with burlap makes a good texture. Used it for skids too but I don't know how well that's going to work.

The BDU base just needs to be near the overall color of the completed ghillie suit. I think its a waste of money to get Multicam or digital BDUs and just cover them up anyway. Go with the standard woodland.

Another pattern to consider is the old Army desert camouflage night pattern. It's a OD green base color with a darker green grid work laid down on top of it. It's worked pretty good for me so far. Plus another bonus is you can pick it up for pretty cheap from an army surplus store. +1 to the old, musty surplus store btw. Old Sarge's here in Fayetteville is great for anything you need. Also for your materials, another place you might want to check is Hobby lobby. They have a lot of stuff there you could use for ghillie suit construction. Just use your imagination!!

why build a suit, just by the whole thing from tactical concealment, let them know if you are military or police and you will get one hell of a deal.

I have a multicam momba ghillie. Not much of the multicam is visible anymore, but i figure its still good for - .10 moa due to the cool factor lol. Any momba base is a great start but multicam isn't necessary imo

2nd the tactical concealment advice too, that's where i bought most of my stuff.