• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors multiple tax stamps for an integral SBR upper?

uracowman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Quick question.

If you purchase just an integral SBR upper that is sub 16" (thus paying a tax stamp), do you need to pay a second tax stamp to construct the SBR? I'm assuming you have to.

The reason why I ask is because it seems kind of contradictory and redundant if you just buy the integral sbr from the manufacturer or dealer, subjecting the transferee to pay a single tax stamp.

Re: multiple tax stamps for an integral SBR upper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question.

If you purchase just an integral SBR upper that is sub 16" (thus paying a tax stamp), do you need to pay a second tax stamp to construct the SBR? I'm assuming you have to.

The reason why I ask is because it seems kind of contradictory and redundant if you just buy the integral sbr from the manufacturer or dealer, subjecting the transferee to pay a single tax stamp. </div></div>

You pay a single tax stamp for the integral upper as it is a suppressor.

If you do not have a SBR lower to put it on then you have to pay for another tax stamp to make the SBR.

Regardless that it has a silencer if the silencer does not bring the BARREL length up to 16" then its a short barrel or pistol upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StalkingRhino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question.

The reason why I ask is because it seems kind of contradictory and redundant if you just buy the integral sbr from the manufacturer or dealer, subjecting the transferee to pay a single tax stamp. </div></div>

You pay a single tax stamp for the integral upper as it is a suppressor.

If you do not have a SBR lower to put it on then you have to pay for another tax stamp to make the SBR.

Regardless that it has a silencer if the silencer does not bring the BARREL length up to 16" then its a short barrel or pistol upper. </div></div>

so if the integral upper is longer than 16 inches, it isn't considered an SBR, and you can put it onto a non registered lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StalkingRhino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless that it has a silencer if the silencer does not bring the BARREL length up to 16" then its a short barrel or pistol upper. </div></div>

That seems to either be misleading or written a bit confusing. I'm guessing that with your background, it's the latter. You

If it's an integral suppressor and it's PART OF THE BARREL, pinned/welded on....then it makes no difference what the original barrel length was, as long as the unified barrel/suppressor unit is 16".

If your integrally suppressed upper is going to have a final barrel/suppressor length of 16"...then it's one tax stamp for the "suppressor", and no need to register the lower as an SBR unless you choose to for future builds that would require it.

BASS -

You are right, I failed to explain it fully, when you deal with it everyday you forget sometimes that not everyone else deals with it everyday. Apologies.

This is what I meant. For it to NOT be classified as an SBR the silencer tube has to be permanent(pin/weld or silver solder) to the barrel bringing the combined length to greater than 16" . A setup like this is considered the "barrel" for measuring purposes for qualification of SBR or non-SBR only.

If it is an integral and the silencer tube is removable and the barrel of the weapon is sub 16" then the receiver must be registered as SBR.

Hope thats a little clearer.

I concur with Bass and Rhino....New here, but Class 3 for a looooong time. What caliber? If it's permanent to the barrel, you may want a can that you can disassemble to clean. I had an AWC Raider that weighed ~1 pound heavier than OEM spec when I sold it cause I shot a ton of .22 along with .223.