• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multiple Unknown/known distance shooting.

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty simple. How do you shoot at multiple unknown and known distance targets??

UNKNOWN DISTANCE:
Find the target.. Mill it out.. Take your time make adjustments and send it out?

-Or-

Find it.. Guess a shot and make adjustments in scope until you hit it??

-Or-

Guess a shot hold mills and guess again with out making scope adjustments (using mil hold over)??

KNOWN DISTANCE:

Check dope card. Made adjustments and send it.

-Or-

Hold zero and send it and hold mills.

I'm planning on try out hitting several 5 to 10 different range targets at unknown and known ranges but don't know how to approach them.

This hopefully will have some time restraint on it. Almost competition style reason why I wouldn't just take time and calculate distance ect. Top Sniper Style basically. Just a small scenario to work on stress and getting quicker shots out.

Using a bolt action. Ranges from 200 to 800 yards.

Re: Multiple Unknown/known distance shooting.

UKD: mil it before sending it; assuming you have good dope use your hold overs/unders. B is a bad idea, always. If your mixing UKD & KD in the same string still use hold over/under. Unlimited time & KD's dial it in.

short answer, what she said....but I'll add the long version, why not go out and try different methods and come up with which way is fastest for you.

I know the distances a little but but I'm just going to walk out and drop them randomly. I have a general idea but no they'll be all Known or Unknown distances in the sets. I figured you would probably mil it but I know that takes time and I didn't know if there was a technique in comp shooting or not. I'm not too great at hold overs because I just broke out my rifle not to long ago so I've just been pushing it to 600 800 yards.. See how she shoots. I'm just now trying to mix it up.

This and getting past that 1k mark is my goal for now.

Mixing it up is great. My MO is to find a nice secluded patch of flat BLM with a nice straight stretch of road that I can drive up or down, set up steel at random spots, and then drive away to no certain distance from which I will engage said targets parallel to the road. Then just drive back up and pick up my steel, rearrange and repeat, shoot it from the other direction, or pick it up and go home.

That would be ideal but due to me living in SoCal thats not exactly possable. I go out about 2 hours to a spot some friends of mine found. Its near the AZ border and the only spot beyond 300 yards is hike only. Its mostly trail riding/4 wheeling park but they allow shooting as long as its not over or around any roads reason its a bit of a hike. I kinda of enjoy it because that hike out to the 800 yards isnt easy in 90 degree weather. But its the best we got and actually isn't that bad of a shooting spot.

Our short 100 yard range.

photo57.jpg

Then if you go on top of that hill^^
You get our 800 yard range
grin.gif

photo54part2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice shooting mat! </div></div>

Haha thanks.
wink.gif
Actually worked out great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that at the end of Split Mountain road by Ocotillo Wells? </div></div>

No. Up by Barstow, California

CK_32, if you want to try hitting multiple UKD targets you may want to mill out all your targets first, dial your elevation to whatever you need for 5 or 600 then make a calc and place card so you know what to hold over for further targets and under for closer ones. With practice this will allow you to engage targets of various distances as fast as you can aquire them.

Whats a place card? Is it any different than a dope card?

It is different than a dope card in that you are calculating your holds from a point where you have already dialed to on your elevation. For example if you are shooting targets between 200 and 800 yards set your elevation for your 600 yard dope (4.5 mils). To hit your 200 yard target hold under 3.9 mils, 300 hold under 2.9 mils, 400 hold under 2.2 mils, 500 hold under 1.1 mils, 600 dead on, 700 hold over 1.3 mils, 800 hold over 2.7 mils.

Oh nice never thought of making a card for that. I always thought that was made on the fly..

Yea so how do I figure that out. My dope card has mils and MOA figures but that's all to get to the range from my 0. Would this work..

Target range: 400 yards
I dial for 600 14 clicks.. Would be 4.3 mills.. The target is at 400 so that dial in mils would be 2.1 mils..

Do I just take the 2.1 and subtract it from the 4.3
-----

Then it would be -2.2 mils held over from my point of aim?

Or is there some other way of doing it?

I think you have the right idea just think of it this way you're already at 4.3 mils for the 600yd target so you are adding or subrtacting mils on your reticle to establish hold points for various targets. For the example you stated if you're shooting a 400yd target with your dope set for 600 you would hold under 2.2 mils.

It would help if you had a drawing of your reticle, then you could just mark your hold points after you have done all your math. This should serve as a good learning aid as well.

We just ran a UKD class. Some of the exercises were focused on relative distances.

A nice skill for the toolbox is to be able to assess distance from a KD target to a closer or farther one.

If you have a KD target (or one that you've ranged), dope for the KD target. If you hit it, I would hold the dope difference between that target and the relative distance estimated UKD one.

Hope that makes sense. Basically use the nearest KD as a baseline.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you have the right idea just think of it this way you're already at 4.3 mils for the 600yd target so you are adding or subrtacting mils on your reticle to establish hold points for various targets. For the example you stated if you're shooting a 400yd target with your dope set for 600 you would hold under 2.2 mils. </div></div>

Yea I meant under. Thanks man that's just the info I was looking to get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would help if you had a drawing of your reticle, then you could just mark your hold points after you have done all your math. This should serve as a good learning aid as well. </div></div>

I have a mil dot reticle and I know it pretty well. When I get bored I make drawings and mil them at work haha
grin.gif
and I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched movies with mills and ranged them out just to kill time and keep my mil skills on par. So it would be fairly easy for me cause mils are second nature to me now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the distances a little but but I'm just going to walk out and drop them randomly. I have a general idea but no they'll be all Known or Unknown distances in the sets. I figured you would probably mil it but I know that takes time and I didn't know if there was a technique. </div></div>

Forgive me for assuming, but do you understand how to convert your milled targets into ranged distances? Do you use a mildot master, calculator? Is your scope FFP?; what type of are you using? Do you have an LRF for confirmation? Do you understand the simple formula's for range math? "It takes time" - no really not alot, but it does need some practice. Where is your range and do you have a shooting mentor? Please fill out a profile and see who can who is near you, maybe to guide a little. And just curious, what setting to you see yourself going from YKD to KD? Comps? Hunting?

Yes I do know how to calculate and range out targets with mil dots. I use a I-phone calculator and the mil dot formula and my good ol noggin..

I'm using a Bushnell 3200 Elite tactical 5-15x. I do not laser range find for confirmation because im just too dam broke to afford a good one but usually its confirmed when I hit the target. And it takes some time when "rapid engagements are moving in" I doubt they'll say ok guys hold on he's ranging us lol minutes don't count when you only have seconds to react.

I have someone spotting me only dilemma its only with a shotty pair of binos. I like to keep my range to my self because its kind of my own little secrete spot of paradise I'll keep as my little secrete. The reason for trying this is just to try something different and get that stress level up and polish up some different skills and change it up a bit. Same reason we all go past 100 yards. Never hurts to gain a new skill and its just nice to know you can do it if you have that chance. Also lets me and my cousin have another little competition to show how much better I am than him
grin.gif

And just in case for that day the zombies come attacking
blush.gif

All I wanted was a freaking shooter with a laser attached to it!!! Get a laser range finder!! Or borrow one, or find a friend who has one!!

Why would I put an ACOG on a 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh nice never thought of making a card for that. I always thought that was made on the fly..

Yea so how do I figure that out. My dope card has mils and MOA figures but that's all to get to the range from my 0. Would this work..

Target range: 400 yards
I dial for 600 14 clicks.. Would be 4.3 mills.. The target is at 400 so that dial in mils would be 2.1 mils..

Do I just take the 2.1 and subtract it from the 4.3
-----

Then it would be -2.2 mils held over from my point of aim?

Or is there some other way of doing it? </div></div>

Yes, that's the easiest way. Its easiest to dial in for your KD, and then hold under for the shorter UKD.

Alright thanks man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would I put an ACOG on a 700?</div></div>

Your first post alluded to a need to solve a problem. Your problem could indeed be solved with a BDC or an ACOG. In fact, your problem has been solved fully with these sighting devices on the M4, M16A2/3 and A4, as well as on the SDMR. If you anticipate the reality of ranging needs as you described, perhaps, you might want to look into getting a more appropriate rifle than what you're now shooting.

I'm not looking to get a whole new rifle.. This was all meant to challenge me with THIS rifle and its set up.. I'm just looking for the best way to dial in all my shots in the shortest time.. Not change set up.. I'm looking to widen my ranges and skill with this particular rifle and the way its set up..