Bart

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 13, 2005
Amarillo, Tx
Hello all!
Years ago, I won a bid on 10 day safari, then before I could go, Covid locked the world down....a few times!
Finally got to go a few weeks ago; my rifle of choice was the q fix in 308 with a swaro z6i 1-6, with my back up scope being a bushy LRSHi 4-22 with the circle of death reticle.
Things I really appreciated about the rifle:
-Light weight- that mattered more every day!
-Accurate
-short bolt throw, allowing for quick follow up shots
-fed from pmags (hunted with a 10 rounder, had a 20 rounder in case of spicy time)
-folder!!!! Space in the vehicle was at a premium, and it was super low profile while in town
-safety was very intuitive, as a follow up from a lifetime of AR usage
-trigger- but I really appreciate a two stage trigger!!
The grass was the tallest it had been in many, many years, so shooting was close (less than 200 yards, generally) and fast- with a premium on breaking the shot as soon as possible as one step and they were out of sight.
Shot out of a ground blind, off the rack on the truck, shooting sticks, kneeling, standing and a tree, so a great variety of positions.
Between shooting run and guns and a great train up from a fantastic friend, using the magwell as a brace off of any of the above was a just fantastic feature as was the nimbleness of the rifle in general.
The swaro was/is a fantastic scope, the illumination was just awesome- the fix and swaro was just a great package for me at that time, at that place for that range.
The only thing I would have changed was to have doubled down on the lightness by using a proof barrel.
Ammunition was Norma 180 grain bondstrike, with multiple PHs asking what I was using.
Anyway, just thought I would share a few thoughts with the hive mind, thank you for reading!
Jordan

Attachments

• 20220718_090245.jpg
    20220718_090245.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
  • 20220713_103234.jpg
    20220713_103234.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • 20220716_182443.jpg
    20220716_182443.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 226
  • 20220711_173400.jpg
    20220711_173400.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 237

D R A K E N B U R G

Hunting tool developer
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2021
New Zealand
Thank you for the review. That is some beautiful horns on that Kudu, congratulations! Hope you could bring some of the Biltong back to the USA.

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
And i was curious about the meat. I presume you could enjoy some onsite, but can you bring any, in any form back?

Bart

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 13, 2005
Amarillo, Tx
Sadly, no meat importation is allowed- but yes, we were able to eat what we shot and I can say with no doubt at all that zebra is so much better than horse (i was stationed in Germany, so horse was absolutely a thing).
Thank you all for the kind words, off to check out the 338 project referenced above! :)
Jordan

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Sadly, no meat importation is allowed- but yes, we were able to eat what we shot and I can say with no doubt at all that zebra is so much better than horse (i was stationed in Germany, so horse was absolutely a thing).
Thank you all for the kind words, off to check out the 338 project referenced above! :)
Jordan
Its a beaut of a rifle concept he has going

Bart

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 13, 2005
Amarillo, Tx
Tex,
I won the safari through Ubathi Safaris, and yes, I would absolutely recommend them- be aware, however, that i have no other comparison.
I can say that me and my son were treated very well, and the PH was fucking outstanding!
Thank you!
Jordan

Bart

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 13, 2005
Amarillo, Tx
Thanks, Nightman!

Not directed at anyone, just more background information:
I was on the fence about writing anything at all about the hunt/rifle, don't know the usefulness of the info.
I will say that i was going to take my Blaser rifle system, but in this case, the fix was absolutely superior due to the detachable magazines that are not expensive and hold a lot o'rounds, the folding stock (EVERY ride was a Drakar death rally, and I didn't wish to have the stock to throat-check my shit every day!) and the safety was....easy. The blaser is more accurate, with a slightly better trigger and one can change barrels and calibers far easier- but these attributes paled in this specific use case, by this specific individual.
The scope was amazing, and I will repot on that in a more appropriate posting area.
Thanks again,
jordan

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks, Nightman!

Not directed at anyone, just more background information:
I was on the fence about writing anything at all about the hunt/rifle, don't know the usefulness of the info.
I will say that i was going to take my Blaser rifle system, but in this case, the fix was absolutely superior due to the detachable magazines that are not expensive and hold a lot o'rounds, the folding stock (EVERY ride was a Drakar death rally, and I didn't wish to have the stock to throat-check my shit every day!) and the safety was....easy. The blaser is more accurate, with a slightly better trigger and one can change barrels and calibers far easier- but these attributes paled in this specific use case, by this specific individual.
The scope was amazing, and I will repot on that in a more appropriate posting area.
Thanks again,
jordan
Thanks for including that. Always good to see rifles being used in the field.