• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Must be nice to have a math brain

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    So I went shooting with my stepson yesterday and I pulled out a 6.5 creedmoor AR with 18" barrel I built awhile back and just for fun I decided to try a shot at 1000 cold bore. I looked over at him and asked what dope he thought I should use and he thought a few seconds and said try 10.8. Was a miss low and he said try 11.1. So I hold 11 on this IPSC at 1000 with a 1-8x VCOG and get a hit. I was kind of stunned. We haven't been shooting 6.5 at all, and never out of an 18" barrel.

Asked him how he did it and he said he remembers a couple of numbers for a caliber, and then just adjusts for barrel length and I guess an estimated velocity as well, all in his head.

Maybe not impressive to some, but I can't remember what I held at a certain distance 5 minutes ago, much less figure that shit out in my head on the fly. :)

Not sure of his age but our kids do surprise us sometimes. My son is doing CyberSecurity stuff that I understand, it's just VERY hard to understand just exactly HOW he does it.

Everyone asks me why I always zero all my rifles 2-3" high at 100yds....it gets complicated to explain at the range. LOL

My stepdaughter is a math prodigy so I’ve had to deal with someone who can math pretty hardcore for a long time. I’m pretty good with the basic math I need every day but she’s a few orders of magnitude above me.

That shouldn’t be a big deal for you though, it should only take a few seconds to use a calculator or app. I was told years ago by someone at a training class to “never try to memorize something that you can easily look up”.

Q: How are math and sex the same?
    A: I don’t get either one.

Reactions: Pbgt
    horrible at math and most things I should remember but cannot a stoke on top of being pretty mentally handi caped one cell in a wheel chair the other in traction , so keep at it and use a note book to write information down i could not remember 1/3rd of what I did the day before let alone the dope for the different rounds I brought to the range without notes ( 3 x 5) cards are great laminate them and they should last a while . you could always try a larger hammer to pound them in there lol best of luck

Huh, wonder why my 17” 6.5cm is only 8.1 mils up at that range?

If my HS math teacher had told me that Math would let me kill things from 1000 yards out…. I’d have paid attention in math.

Sirhr
    i had a math teacher that couldn't do the problems in the book. he gave us the teacher's addition and basically let us teach ourselves.
    had a physics teacher that was really smart but easily sidetracked. if you weren't ready for a test, you could ask him how a wankel engine works and get an extra day to study.

Reactions: Maxwell
    He's the kind of American we need in politics. Imagine someone in office being able to think on their feet and know what they're talking about.

Reactions: BLEE
    He's the kind of American we need in politics. Imagine someone in office being able to think on their feet and know what they're talking about.
    Come on man Biden is still using cheat sheets , he finished last in his class in college and that was using cheat sheets so you know he is as dumb as the day is long.

Two quick stories. First, high school math word problems. The question was if John could dig a garden in 3 hours & Jim could dig a garden in 2 hours, how long would it take if John & Jim to dig the garden together? I answered I do not know but get a John Deer. My parents were called into the math teachers office for a ‘conference’. Dad was ticked.

Lived with my father for the last ten years of his life. Came home from work one day, Dad was upset as he was almost 100 years old. All of his Calculus, diff q’s, and trig books were on his study floor. I asked him what was wrong. He said he was losing his mind because he could not do calculus in his head anymore.

Never could do math but get me in front of an IBM machine & I could make it do high wire acts.

Maxwell

i had a math teacher that couldn't do the problems in the book. he gave us the teacher's addition and basically let us teach ourselves.
    had a physics teacher that was really smart but easily sidetracked. if you weren't ready for a test, you could ask him how a wankel engine works and get an extra day to study.

I had a biology teacher the same way. He was an avid, almost rabid, deer hunter. Get him started talking about deer hunting at the beginning of class, we were done for the day. 😄

• Haha
    Reactions: theLBC
    Huh, wonder why my 17” 6.5cm is only 8.1 mils up at that range?
    Because you were shooting 130 bergers you loaded yourself who knows how hot and I was shooting factory 144s listed @2720?

Just a thought though.

Because you were shooting 130 bergers you loaded yourself who knows how hot and I was shooting factory 144s listed @2720?

Just a thought though.
    I figured you were shooting heavies. Rl26 seems magical on 6.5cm. It isn’t as temp stable as other super popular powders but it is faster while being safe. I have no signs of pressure. Even when its 115* out. But it is slower in the cold.

I gotta stop being lazy & get off this factory ammo train, haha!
    If you can find primers…. Its nice shooting ammo thats made for you, if you can afford it, but jokes on me, cause you spend a ton of money up front on reloading gear and have to factor that into your ammo. I will take reliability over speed, but in short barreled guns and custom shit, it gets a lot cheaper per performance to reload. I am lucky, i bought the gear and my buddy loads for me, so he gets to use high end shit and i get my loads built.

Reactions: J-Ham