• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake clearance question

1jonathan1994

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS
How much clearance do I need between a muzzle brake and the bullets?
The brake that came with my MPA 6.5 will pass a 308 bullet and I want to shoot a 7mm barrel.
I'll check with a caliper this weekend.

The Area 419 brakes I have in 6 and 6.5mm I bought to try for a 25 creedmoor are about .030 over iirc. I’m using the 6.5 as the 6mm is a little close for comfort with only .017 clearance on a QD brake.

The ZRO delta I have marked 6.5 and which I’m using on a 6mm has a lot more clearance and still seems effective. Going with a next size up has pretty minimal affect as tested as well.

The Area 419 brakes I have in 6 and 6.5mm I bought to try for a 25 creedmoor are about .030 over iirc. I’m using the 6.5 as the 6mm is a little close for comfort with only .017 clearance on a QD brake.

The ZRO delta I have marked 6.5 and which I’m using on a 6mm has a lot more clearance and still seems effective. Going with a next size up has pretty minimal affect as tested as well.
I'm not trying to get minimal clearance. Just trying to use what I already have.

We want a brake to have at least .030, and as our brakes get larger in caliber, the clearance increases. Not only is it a safety issue, we have seen it as an accuracy issue. We have shot 6.5s through brakes bored to about .270 (on the lathe while installed as to be confident everything is square and will clear) and rifles just don't like it. Once you get up to about 25 those problems seem to go away, so our brakes will always have more than that.

Reactions: b6graham