• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake for a 300. win mag

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Im about to rebarrel my 300. win mag and i am running a PWS on one of my rifles as it was given to me! As of now it will be a Sendero Contour barrel and im looking at JP tactical Compensator, Badger Ordance Thruster, JEC muzzle brake. Anyone have any suggestions on muzzle brakes for the 300. win mag?

Whatever brake you choose make sure it is timed with ports at 3 and 9. I've had the brake with holes all the way around and a 300 can kick up a lot of dirt and dust.

I put a Vais brake on a hunting 300 Win Mag and it does a good job. It's not terribly loud like some.

At what point do you decide on a muzzle brake? Small rifle weight? Heavy bullet? Recoil energy?

I have a 300 H&H and opted out because the recoil is about 17 ft/lbs with 190 gr. bullet @2910 MV. Rifle weights heavy 15 pounds. With bipod prone the sight picture isn't lost. But I get the same problem shooting an 8 pound .308 Win with aluminum butt plate. That is, a little sore the next day. Similar to shooting trap all afternoon with a 12 ga.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Score High Hunter put on my Sako/Douglas hunting rifle and it works great ( 210 grain Bergers ) , Charley also make a tactical muzzle-brake . Both are reasonably priced and turn-around was fairly quick .

I have a Vandenberg custom brake on my Savage 300WM, my brother who usually doesn't shoot anything bigger then .308 loves my 300WM. In fact our last range trip I brought 80 rounds of my 208 amax hand loads and he fired almost 60 rounds.

Take a look at the OPS R3E2C. I use them anytime I have the choice. Very effective on braking and the only impact on accuracy is to the positive.

If you aren't shooting much prone, VIAS is the way to go. Makes my 300wm soft as a puppy…can shoot it all day long.

I just ordered a S.A.C. in 300 win mag. and I spoke to Mark Gordon about which brake he thought would be most effective and without a doubt he said the APA Fat Bastard, but what does he know? It's good looking too.

I have a Badger Thruster on my 300 WM and am impressed. Very little felt recoil and muzzle rise. Only have shot 44 rounds so far of 190gr Fed GM and still getting to know her but very happy with the brake.

Muzzlebrakes aren't that complicated. They all work pretty well. If you shoot from the prone, then avoid brakes with bottom ports. Otherwise pick one that appeals to your aesthetic sense or your budget. Ross Schuler's brakes work very well and are cheap too boot.

I used to run the JP. Now I use the VIAS. To me, the VIAS is the best one. It actually reduces recoil better than the JP and most importantly, it doesn't need to be timed and is very easy to remove so I can swap in a suppressor.

I've used a whole bunch of different ones from JP, Tubb, Seekins, etc and now they are sit in the drawer in favor of my VIAS. The only other brake I would consider would be the muzzle brakes that thread into suppressors. I run a Templar Tactical one on my .308 bullpup rifle.