• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake for competition use?

Ranger413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
SE Georgia - USA
My local range is ramping up for more and more scoped rifle matches. I'm in the process of putting together a Savage in .308 for that very purpose. Maximum distance will be 600 yards.

I foresee several shooters at a time proned out on the line for most of the matches. What I don't want to have is something obnoxious to the point that I'm asked to not compete in future matches. I heard the match directors bitching about a guy that showed up with a M1A Scout or Soccom rifle once and how they hoped he never shot again with it. I don't want to be that guy.

The Savage has a 24" factory barrel that's been threaded 5/8 X 24. Are there any brakes out there that might fit my needs. I was also cosidering just adding a flash suppressor (like the looks of the Vortex) instead. Gotta have something other than a boring thread protector out on the business end of the gun ya know.

Tell me what 'cha think.

Re: Muzzle brake for competition use?

i own a socom and the only reason it would piss off the person next to me is because it throws brass at them and its not accurate at long range so the guy may have been hitting other peoples targets or hitting them with hot brass. the muzzle blast from a SOCOM goes strait up not out to the sides and is not designed to reduce the recoil but instead reduce muzzle rise.

the 308 doesn't recoil enough to need a muzzle brake IMHO. personally i only have a muzzle break on my .308 because it allows me to quickly attach an AAC suppressor which i will hopefully be buying myself for x-mas.

heres my SOCOM. notice how the muzzle blast is directed upwards.

http://youtu.be/Vzng7ba0aC0

if you are worried about it then just go without a brake. its only a 308 it won't hurt you that bad. i shot 2000 rounds out of a M240G laying in the prone in about a 2 hour period and my shoulder was fine. you'll be ok

Yeah, I'm not recoil sensitive. A couple of weeks ago I shot over 70 rounds of 50 BMG over the course of two days for competition. When this Savage is finished I bet it'll top out over 12 pounds so I don't think recoil will be an issue anyhow. I've heard of the advanatages of being able to see the bullet impact and thought that the brake would be a nice addition (plus it looks cool) for not too much money. I think I'm leaning heavily toward the Vortex flash suppressor. I've seen some rifles with that on the end and I think they look pretty sweet. Still have to get 'er bedded and duracoated before I think too much about the muzzle device though.

Personally, I don't mind being "that guy" at all.

This year at my local 600 yard matches, I not only used a braked rifle, I used a braked <span style="font-style: italic">338LM</span>.

Last I checked, we shoot at a gun range, where all the guns make a lot of noise, and everyone is wearing ear protection. I am, however, polite enough to position myself far enough away from the other folks on the line that my muzzle blast doesn't slap them in the face. I also extend the courtesy of only firing when the folks on either side have already fired, and are loading their next cartridge.

Anyway, if it matters to you, run no brake at all. As you said, the 308 is hardly a punishing rifle to shoot unbraked. If you decide to run one though, a radial type brake like the Harrels or the VAIS do a pretty good job of diffusing the blast and not bitchslapping your neighbors.

The brakes that vent out the sides only, such as the APA "bastard" series, or the Badger "thruster" are the worst in terms of bitchslapping your neighbors.

I have a Vortex on my AAC SD, looks sweet but adds two inches of length and rings like a bell. I have been looking at brakes and the only one I have seen that don't add at least two inches is the non mount from AAC. I'd like to reduce recoil and keep it short. As for the blast out to the side, any brake is going to increase that. I like to think I'm pretty considerate but it's a gun and they can be loud, get over it or donate to my can fund. I have been next to folks shooting BOSSs and other brakes on the range and it can be a bit annoying but again, it's not golf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger413</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...I heard the match directors bitching about a guy that showed up with a M1A Scout or Soccom rifle once and how they hoped he never shot again with it. I don't want to be that guy.

</div></div>

Sounds like that match director is an ass. Either you allow brakes or you don't, and if you do you deal. I shoot F class so there are no brakes, but if the MD allows then those are the rules and you shoot or you don't. The MD needs to decide if the impact to the match and number of shooters is positive or negative and make a decision.

I love using my surefire on my 260 in matches, it throws dirt in both the scopes/eyes of the guys shooting beside me and scares the shit out of them while also somewhat disorienting them when they are about to shoot. This makes it much easier for me to win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I'm not recoil sensitive. A couple of weeks ago I shot over 70 rounds of 50 BMG over the course of two days for competition. When this Savage is finished I bet it'll top out over 12 pounds so I don't think recoil will be an issue anyhow. I've heard of the advanatages of being able to see the bullet impact and thought that the brake would be a nice addition (plus it looks cool) for not too much money. I think I'm leaning heavily toward the Vortex flash suppressor. I've seen some rifles with that on the end and I think they look pretty sweet. Still have to get 'er bedded and duracoated before I think too much about the muzzle device though. </div></div>

that is a good point about being able to stay on target when you shoot with a brake. i completely forgot about that. i did notice how my crosshairs pretty much stay right on target when i shoot which is nice when your shooting the steel targets and can't hear the PING sound due to other shooters around you but you can see the target swing. the looks cool factor is always nice as well lol

Ranger413,

Being one of the Match Directors who listens to the complaints about brakes, the Vais style is probably the least offensive. Admittedly, I was one of the original obnoxious MB users at our matches with a Browning Eclipse 2000 with a BOSS. I haven't shot that rifle in competition in eight years or more. Anything directing muzzle blast/concussion backwards towards the line is annoying. Up/Down only bothers the shooter and the folks adjacent to the shooter, but I haven't ever seen one and probably won't.

HTH,
DocB

Put a pack or anything that could be used as a noise buffer between you and other shooters ....beyond that, tell them to man up or go shoot a .22
Brakes keep optics on target period

You could always get a suppressor. More effective than a brake, and quiet as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could always get a suppressor. <span style="font-weight: bold">More effective than a brake</span>, and quiet as well. </div></div>

???

What do you mean?

More effective at mitigating recoil???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love using my surefire on my 260 in matches, it throws dirt in both the scopes/eyes of the guys shooting beside me and scares the shit out of them while also somewhat disorienting them when they are about to shoot. This makes it much easier for me to win. </div></div>

I purposely braked my match rifle on a recent re barrel for this^ and to see my own splash. The first big match I shot a had a braked ar 10 chuckin brass at me on one side and a braked wsm one the other...decided right then that being "that guy" was ok at a tac match.

The precision rifle community for the most part is a very generous and respectful community that have shown good sportsmanship and character i'd hate to see it infested with the kind of people that would purposefully blast dirt into another competitiors optic, those kinda guys usually arent in the running anyway i guess.

As far as recoil it def changes the impulse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The precision rifle community for the most part is a very generous and respectful community that have shown good sportsmanship and character i'd hate to see it infested with the kind of people that would purposefully blast dirt into another competitiors optic, those kinda guys usually arent in the running anyway i guess. </div></div>

I agree.

I hope he was kidding.

Ordered a "Big Chubby" yesterday. Was impressed by their videos showing such little movement on the target! Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it performs.

A lot of shooters are using MB's, so it's up to each individual to deal with the noise factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love using my surefire on my 260 in matches, it throws dirt in both the scopes/eyes of the guys shooting beside me and scares the shit out of them while also somewhat disorienting them when they are about to shoot. This makes it much easier for me to win.</div></div>

I honestly laughed out loud... this is awesome.
Who needs caffeine with a Surefire?

In all seriousness, don't most muzzle brakes have the gas release upwards...?