• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake for hunting rifle

Dts51350

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020
This is my first post so hopefully this ends up in the right place. I ordered a .300 PRC a couple months back and it just showed up a few weeks ago. The problem is when it showed up I also found out I have compressed discs and pinched nerves in my neck. I was looking at muzzle brakes(APA, Area 419, APW, etc.) but in the size of brake I'd need, the diameter of the brakes is a decent amount larger than the barrel. The barrel comes in around .75" so I guess my question would be is there any .30 cal brakes close in diameter to that or would larger diameter brakes still look good? Don't want to spend the money just to have it look bad. Any help would be appreciated! Also I understand muzzle brakes aren't typically recommended for hunting, and the threads are 5/8x24. Thanks!

Worst place to post this, but a mod will probably move it sooner or later.

Yes there are brakes which are practically flush, they are usually timed and then buffed and polished to appear seamless. JP does this with some of their brakes. As far as an effective brake that is congruent with the barrel diameter, that might be a hard find, but I'm sure others around will have some good suggestions. Only one that really jumps out in my mind is a pepper pot style flash hider. Good luck.

Yea I was hoping someone could help and move it where it belongs. I guess I should have mentioned I'd like to go with a self timing brake. It doesnt need to be perfectly flush I just don't want it to look like I have a soda can on the end. Lol

Yea I was hoping someone could help and move it where it belongs. I guess I should have mentioned I'd like to go with a self timing brake. It doesnt need to be perfectly flush I just don't want it to look like I have a soda can on the end. Lol

Welcome to the Hide, Nubie.

You might want to try Sniper's Hide bolt Action rifles.

Id find a well recommended gunsmith in my area and talk to him about it.

Last edited:
Check out Vias.

It’s a radial brake do it will kick up some dust if prone.

Originally designed for hunting.

Check out Vias.

Nice looking brakes, thanks for the tip.

Check out Vias.

Vias brakes are nice and can be fit so you don’t realize it’s not part of the barrel.

Attachments

• D57524D7-1343-45D9-92DB-C525B517A034.jpeg
    D57524D7-1343-45D9-92DB-C525B517A034.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 762B83EC-F149-4D22-BB2D-303A0EA30390.jpeg
    762B83EC-F149-4D22-BB2D-303A0EA30390.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 115
This is my first post so hopefully this ends up in the right place. I ordered a .300 PRC a couple months back and it just showed up a few weeks ago. The problem is when it showed up I also found out I have compressed discs and pinched nerves in my neck. I was looking at muzzle brakes(APA, Area 419, APW, etc.) but in the size of brake I'd need, the diameter of the brakes is a decent amount larger than the barrel. The barrel comes in around .75" so I guess my question would be is there any .30 cal brakes close in diameter to that or would larger diameter brakes still look good? Don't want to spend the money just to have it look bad. Any help would be appreciated! Also I understand muzzle brakes aren't typically recommended for hunting, and the threads are 5/8x24. Thanks!
I just went through spinal surgery for the same issues. They replaced 6 vertebrae C3-T1. I went to a smaller caliber due to recoil issues. I'm now shooting a 6BR and I have the Extreme Duty M4-72 brake on mine. It literally has zero recoil.

*edit*
This is the first brake where I've been able to see my impacts and trace also. It's a really cool thing for sure to watch the bullet all the way to the target.

First two are of the brake. Second two are of my new neck.

Doc

20200919_093514.jpg
20200919_093524.jpg
20200527_110705.jpg
20200527_110616.jpg

Last edited:
I just went through spinal surgery for the same issues. They replaced 6 vertebrae C3-T1. I went to a smaller caliber due to recoil issues. I'm now shooting a 6BR and I have the Etreme Duty M4-72 brake on mine. It literally has zero recoil.

First two are of the brake. Second two are of my new neck.

Doc

View attachment 7427463View attachment 7427464View attachment 7427465View attachment 7427466

Glad youre doing better, brother. Keep it up. My 6.5 Creedmoor with brake is really easy as well.

Reactions: Doc68
I use the 419 and they are self timing. Welcome to the Hide.

I put a Vias brake on a 300 Weatherby mag. It made the recoil, tolerable...

I am not a fan of vias brakes. I like a ported brake out the sides because the last few years most of my shots have been prone. I hate the dirt blown in my face with a brake that doesn’t need timing (radial). I’d look at Hawkins precision and the 5 port muscle brake, self timing unless You’re willing to pay a smith to time and contour it to your barrel. I put brakes on all my rifles. Helps big time with spotting the shot and making a follow up shot if needed

Reactions: Foul Mike
I am not a fan of vias brakes. I like a ported brake out the sides because the last few years most of my shots have been prone. I hate the dirt blown in my face with a brake that doesn’t need timing (radial). I’d look at Hawkins precision and the 5 port muscle brake, self timing unless You’re willing to pay a smith to time and contour it to your barrel. I put brakes on all my rifles. Helps big time with spotting the shot and making a follow up shot if needed
Horses for courses. I was looking for a brake in an oddball thread pitch (9/16-32), that could be installed without a gunsmith to time it, to go on a sporter barrel that would look weird with a self timing brake. And, for a rifle that belongs to a man that will never fire it from prone.

Reactions: Foul Mike
I'm looking to avoid radial brakes in case I ever do need to take a shot prone. Between the MPA, APA, and 419 is there a noticeable difference between the 3 of them or are they all close together as far as recoil management? I figure get one that looks decent cause even if I can't shoot straight at least the gun will look good! 😂

All of the ones mentioned are great I don’t think you’ll be dissapointed with any. There was a 5 port self timer posted on long range only.com for 90 bucks shipped would be a great brake for a big rifle

MPA, Little Bastard, 419
These are the ones/places to find the right tool for this job.
All brakes are going to be loud why not have ones that are very effective.

R
I actually watched a video on you tube. A guy did a recoil measurement of 30 brakes and I just picked the one with the most recoil mitigation from that.

Doc

Suppressor...

that way when the monster buck comes running by and you forget your plugs you don’t hear ringing for the next month after blasting off that 300 win mag with a 5 port brake, with out ear plugs in.... ask me how I know
Try being 3 feet away when a ma deuce opens up with no hearing pro in......

And yes, ask me how I know.

Doc

Suppressor...

that way when the monster buck comes running by and you forget your plugs you don’t hear ringing for the next month after blasting off that 300 win mag with a 5 port brake, with out ear plugs in.... ask me how I know

I know how you know via Barrett M82-1. Fuck.

I hunted once with an AR10 and a brake

I don’t like hunting with a brake- need ear protection.

either you are stalking with foam plugs in place... or you need to add plugs when you are in range...

too damn loud

everyone around you must also have ear protection.

no need to have permanent hearing loss to go with the neck injury.

I’d rather use shooting sticks and a 5 pound heavier rifle than a brake in the field.

and yes- I sold the Clinton era post ban upper with a brake and got a new upper

hermosabeach, do you have electronic earmuffs that fit good? They amplify what you are hearing but cut the blast out. I wear them when I hunt or shoot the range. Mine are comfortable enough that I sometimes forget I have them on. I hear things that I wouldn't if I didn't have them on.

I have a Witt clamp on brake on my hunting rifle. I love it and they are easy to install, just make damn sure of your measurements when you order. Easy on and easy off when you don't want it.

Witt is in the middle of a move from southern Colorado to someplace in Texas because after legalization of MJ in Colorado they had trouble finding workers that didn't rust the bottom out of the bucket when they pissed in it.

Thanks for all the feedback! I am looking at electronic muffs for when I am in the woods I think I might go with a PVA brake if they are like advertised and divert some of the noise away from the shooter.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
hermosabeach, do you have electronic earmuffs that fit good? They amplify what you are hearing but cut the blast out. I wear them when I hunt or shoot the range. Mine are comfortable enough that I sometimes forget I have them on. I hear things that I wouldn't if I didn't have them on.

I have a Witt clamp on brake on my hunting rifle. I love it and they are easy to install, just make damn sure of your measurements when you order. Easy on and easy off when you don't want it.

Witt is in the middle of a move from southern Colorado to someplace in Texas because after legalization of MJ in Colorado they had trouble finding workers that didn't rust the bottom out of the bucket when they pissed in it.
It's a shame that they can't find decent workers. Fuck CO

Thanks for all the feedback! I am looking at electronic muffs for when I am in the woods I think I might go with a PVA brake if they are like advertised and divert some of the noise away from the shooter.

The PVA does divert the blast away from you, meaning, it's not going to blow all your shit off the bench, but it is going to be far from quiet. It's still going to be frikkin loud. Get the muffs.