• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Muzzle Brake Indecisiveness

DeepEastKilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
S/E Minnesota
www.youtube.com
Ive spent the past few weeks researching muzzle brakes and have decided I want to have one made. Ive found a guy whos willing to do it and Im all set to buy, BUT... I cant decide what size I want.

I have narrowed it down between two sizes Ive come up with, #1 (1.000"x2.000"-tapered to .800") or #2 (1.250"x2.500"-tapered to .800")

I even went through the trouble to draw up the two and put them over the threads and I still cant decide. I think the smaller one is probably more practical and I like the look to but the bigger one looks good to me too! So here I am unable to decide, I know its my choice in the end, but Id like some opinions, What # would you choose?

16m80fq.jpg

whe0g.jpg

24eb4ep.jpg

Re: Muzzle Brake Indecisiveness

I'd go withthe smaller one. From my understanding the fifth port won't give you any discernable additional recoil reduction, just a slightly bigger, heavier piece of metal to tote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nauta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go withthe smaller one. From my understanding the fifth port won't give you any discernable additional recoil reduction, just a slightly bigger, heavier piece of metal to tote. </div></div>

Ditto!

I do believe they would both have 4 ports after looking closer at the guys info, but nonetheless the smaller one seems to be a bit more of a realistic size.

If you're buying it and not making it yourself, neither.

Badger thrusters are only $65, and work GREAT.

They're our favorite for barrels .800" - .950" at muzzle because you can blend them to the barrel OD for a seamless fit that wont get hunt up on straps and barricades.

I have done some high pressure air testing and found that on baffled brakes even with no bullet involved about 90 percent of the gas goes through the first port. 10% out the second and almost nil out of the 3 and out. Don't be a sucker for more is better. Take a look at Jim See's CSR brake. Clean and simple. Here are a couple recent ones.
img4684h.jpg

Why reinvent the wheel? Badger thruster, APA little bastard, Holland, and many others that work great with great prices are ready to chose from. As already mentioned, if you are making one from scratch, then it's really up to you what it should look like and it's dimentions. I personally like small as possible that will still do the job. Just trying to save you headaches.

I just installed a Ross brake on my new 300 win mag, thought I had pick up my 223 by mistake.It works so well I am ordering 3 more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done some high pressure air testing and found that on baffled brakes even with no bullet involved <span style="font-weight: bold">about 90 percent of the gas goes through the first port</span>. 10% out the second and almost nil out of the 3 and out.</div></div>

I made a run of single port brakes that are basically like a badger thruster with the front two ports cut off.
They only add about 1/2" of length and 3/4 ounce of weight to a remington varmint contour barrel.
They work very well...

1port.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeepEastKilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2a99xc9.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like the bigger one. I like it.

LOL it is. I hate to be the hard headed douche who makes thread asking a question just to go on and do what they want anyway, but I actually made the thread while i was getting ready to order and when I talked to the guy who was making the brake for me he said that he thought the larger one would look better and ,still being on the fence at that time, thats what I went with. I also expected the brake to have 4 ports per side from the description and wanting a 3 port brake was the only thing that kept me from ordering from him sooner. In the end I like the way it came out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mr22250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just installed a Ross brake on my new 300 win mag, thought I had pick up my 223 by mistake.It works so well I am ordering 3 more </div></div>

Yes, the Ross brakes do a great job. Great price to boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeepEastKilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL it is. I hate to be the hard headed douche who makes thread asking a question just to go on and do what they want anyway, but I actually made the thread while i was getting ready to order and when I talked to the guy who was making the brake for me he said that he thought the larger one would look better and ,still being on the fence at that time, thats what I went with. I also expected the brake to have 4 ports per side from the description and wanting a 3 port brake was the only thing that kept me from ordering from him sooner. In the end I like the way it came out. </div></div>

I was one of the hard headed that voted for the bigger one, and that was after reading all of the other post. Sometimes it just goes back to what you want. Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done some high pressure air testing and found that on baffled brakes even with no bullet involved <span style="font-weight: bold">about 90 percent of the gas goes through the first port</span>. 10% out the second and almost nil out of the 3 and out.</div></div>

I made a run of single port brakes that are basically like a badger thruster with the front two ports cut off.
They only add about 1/2" of length and 3/4 ounce of weight to a remington varmint contour barrel.

They work very well...

1port.jpg
</div></div>

Do you have any pictures with this brake installed?

This thread is old, but I just ordered a Ross brake for a 300 win. I am very interested to test performance, mostly because I have been through a few brakes I have not been satisfied with, and thought I would give this a shot.

Why reinvent the wheel? Badger thruster, APA little bastard, Holland, and many others that work great with great prices are ready to chose from.
Amen brother. I used to make brakes cuz I thought it was cool and my own invention. Turns into waaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooooooo much time making them when you can buy a nice brake for change compared to my time. I get an occassional customer who needs a custom brake and thats fun. But on a daily basis, buy a premade and fit to the contour. On the other hand, good for you making your own. Good experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done some high pressure air testing and found that on baffled brakes even with no bullet involved <span style="font-weight: bold">about 90 percent of the gas goes through the first port</span>. 10% out the second and almost nil out of the 3 and out.</div></div>

They work very well...

1port.jpg
</div></div>

Do you have any pictures with this brake installed?

Not sure where but I have seen these being made as muzzle thread protectors. I wish some one like Chad Dixion would build a jig for one gun and caliber and just test every break we could send in. Then we would have the friggen answer we all wanted for years what is the best design.... There are more muzzle break designs than who knows what! It can't be then hard to come up with a standard test!,,, what the hell really! We got devises that can pick up earth quakes on the ocean floor, but we can't figure out what break design is best.....

Why Chad, because I trust people in the mid west?!!

"Someone like Chad". Preferably several someones, testing independently of each other. In various regions of the country and/or world if that makes you feel better.

Ya, best thing would be a standardized test that all brakes could be tested against. Anywhere in the world by whoever...