• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

muzzle brake legality in IL

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
selling a SR-25 MAMS brake to someone in IL. are they legal in that state? his zip code is 60478.

i tried looking real quick, but came up with one restriction for city of highland park.

Cook county (We call it CRook county) is just like LA county, they have so many ordinances that are specific to that county. Such as, No light/lasers on firearms, no +10 round mags, etc. Things the rest of Free Illinois don't have to worry about.

Reactions: Anb618
You are selling just a brake? I would not worry about it.
The Chicago area has so much stupid shit, the rest of the state doesn't even pay attention to them. I have seen some restrictions (ammo, mags, certain firearms) from online businesses for that area but never anything on muzzle brakes.

I live in cook county and have brakes on numerous rifles which I have purchased in cook county. I've never seen or heard of any rules regarding brakes.

Last edited:
Its legality is the buyer's problem, not yours.
This. Don’t worry about whether the muzzle brake is legal for the buyer or not; it’s not your problem. It’s not your responsibility, either legally or morally, to enforce unjust laws on someone else.

We all have to deal with enough restrictions already without trying to enforce more of them on each other. Don’t be that guy.

Preachin' to the choir, brother.

I WILL be a lot free er'r in a year and change. I am officially 364 and a wake up from retirement.
Y'all have a rough go of it there. A few years back I was working there (stayed in Olney) and I can't say enough good things about the people we met there. Sure wish it was different for you all there.

Mike

Reactions: A&8's
No state law regarding muzzle brakes. It might be up to the individual county/city. Ship the brake and let the buyer deal with it. He may have a zip code in crook county but there are people who live there and keep guns over the border in a free county and or state.

This. Don’t worry about whether the muzzle brake is legal for the buyer or not; it’s not your problem. It’s not your responsibility, either legally or morally, to enforce unjust laws on someone else.

We all have to deal with enough restrictions already without trying to enforce more of them on each other. Don’t be that guy.

Could not agree more. Tired of hearing: well, I've heard you have restrictive laws so I won't sell you anything. So much for MOLON LABE, etc.

Reactions: Yondering
Could not agree more. Tired of hearing: well, I've heard you have restrictive laws so I won't sell you anything. So much for MOLON LABE, etc.

While it's not hard, IL is especially stupid. I see it ALL THE TIME with ammo. We're lumped in with CA and NY for no ammo sales even though it's a non-issue.

I get that the greater Chicago area fucks everything up and every down up there has their own thing. In true 'Merican fashion...Too Lazy; Don't Read.

While it's not hard, IL is especially stupid. I see it ALL THE TIME with ammo. We're lumped in with CA and NY for no ammo sales even though it's a non-issue.

I get that the greater Chicago area fucks everything up and every down up there has their own thing. In true 'Merican fashion...Too Lazy; Don't Read.
Last fall I was in a Scheels in IL passing through on a road trip and there were signs everywhere you had to have a permit to buy ammo? There was a ton of ammo on the shelves.

Last fall I was in a Scheels in IL passing through on a road trip and there were signs everywhere you had to have a permit to buy ammo? There was a ton of ammo on the shelves.

Nope. IL residents need FOID card. Out of state doesn’t (resident state rules apply)

Last edited:
Reactions: A&8's

As said IL residents need a FOID, non residents don't. There sure the f*** isnt any ammo now!

It's a long fight for us to get rid of the FOID, this past year the State Government has fucked it up big time. State law states they have 30 days to issue, co worker waited 9+ months. Multiple law suits and injunctions have been filed, the state is it's own worst enemy, the courts take time.
I'm a 30 year transplant here, and I think the FOID is a unconstitutional crock of shit. We (lawful gunowners) deal with this all the time. Highland Park is the only place I know that has any ordanance restricting types of firearms. The rest of us buy and have guns and ammo shipped just like the rest of you, except we have to send a copy of our FOID and DL to most places (Midway, Natchez, Targetsports, etc).

Pardon if'n we get a little pissy when someone lumps us in with the NE fucktard states and California.

As said IL residents need a FOID, non residents don't. There sure the f*** isnt any ammo now!

Pardon if'n we get a little pissy when someone lumps us in with the NE fucktard states and California.
The guy at Scheels must not have wanted to sell ammo to a nonresident then as he gave me bad info as I would have picked some up. From WI to GA that store had the most ammo of any stop I made. Honestly, I hope you guys get your state back right but CA and NE are the only places with worse laws.

Makes sense non residents don’t, I mean any people who would be so child like
to the point they let their government make them have to get permission slips, well we arnt talking the best and brightest.

IL is for statists