• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake Selection Help

JohnInTampa

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
I just ordered a Seekins Havak Pro Hunter 2 in 300 PRC that will be here this week, and I’m shopping for my first ever muzzle brake. Using the search function here I’ve determined that people recommend Area 419 & the Fat Bastard. After looking at these I like the aesthetics of the 419 Sidewinder better.

My questions surround choosing the right brake for the caliber and also for proper proportion on the rifle, as I’m trying to avoid an unnecessarily large MB. Is the Sidewinder the way to go for this particular rifle and caliber? Although I am a very experienced shooter, this rifle is my first foray into a magnum-type rifle so the advice and guidance is appreciated. This rifle will primarily be used for hunting but will also see time shooting steel in the off season.

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Check out the PX. There’s a good one there noisy listed this morning for 30 calibre.

I have an Area 419 Hellfire on my 6.5CM Savage FrankenGun and it shoots like an air gun. Virtually no recoil and follow ups are seamless.

VooDoo

I just ordered a Seekins Havak Pro Hunter 2 in 300 PRC that will be here this week, and I’m shopping for my first ever muzzle brake. Using the search function here I’ve determined that people recommend Area 419 & the Fat Bastard. After looking at these I like the aesthetics of the 419 Sidewinder better.

My questions surround choosing the right brake for the caliber and also for proper proportion on the rifle, as I’m trying to avoid an unnecessarily large MB. Is the Sidewinder the way to go for this particular rifle and caliber? Although I am a very experienced shooter, this rifle is my first foray into a magnum-type rifle so the advice and guidance is appreciated. This rifle will primarily be used for hunting but will also see time shooting steel in the off season.

I have a Piercision self-timing Muscle brake on a 6.5 Proof SS MTU and it works very well.

If it were me I'd be looking for something with minimal blast and concussion, especially on a 30 cal magnum. I really like the insight hethen brakes

I have a Piercision self-timing Muscle brake on a 6.5 Proof SS MTU and it works very well.

Thanks for pointing that one out. I especially like the titanium version.

My only dilemma right now is since the rifle is not in my hands yet and there are no specs that I can find regarding the barrel diameter, I’m trying to figure out which muzzle break will look “right” on the rifle. I’m trying to avoid having something that looks out of place or overly large in terms of diameter on there. With that being said, does anyone happen to know the diameter of the muzzle end of this barrel. It would be great if someone with the same rifle was able to chime in.

I appreciate the input as I’m trying to get this right and not end up with the wrong part.

The APA gen 3 little bastard would be my choice. It is loud but the recoil reduction is very impressive.

If it were me I'd be looking for something with minimal blast and concussion, especially on a 30 cal magnum. I really like the insight hethen brakes

Might be worth waiting on the new version with the built in barrel tuner.......

Should be ready soon from what I'm hearing......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 19.42.36.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 19.42.36.png
    846.8 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: giumau1
I have a sidewinder on a 300 prc build with a heavy varmit profile barrel. As you can see in the picture, it is big. The hellfire or little bastard would be my picks based on the size of those muzzle brakes vs the size of the barrel your rifle will have. I also have a little bastard, it will really cut your recoil down.
PXL_20201231_005440878.jpg

I run a 4 port Sidewinder on my 6 creed, it's obnoxious, but that beast don't move!!

Check out the brakes from Patriot Valley Arms. I just put a Jetblast one on a lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor and it literally feels like half the recoil of my 6.5 with a Thunderbeast supressor brake. It also has less back-blast. Best brake I’ve tried so far.

I have run an A419 sidewinder on a big 30, it does help with recoil but the back blast is pretty harsh.

+1 for PVA JetBlast....even my noise sensitive wife does not mind being behind it. But off to the side is a different story ;-)

Reactions: verdugo60
I have a Hellfire on my 300 PRC, which weighs around 10.5 lbs loaded down. Even at that weight, it controls it well enough to spot my hits.

I have a hellfire system for my silencers but I refuse to use the hellfire brake, its too mean and gives me a headache.

Sidewinder is big but very effective.
Heathen is a nice brake that has a noticeable reduction in concussion.

I use the brakes Elite Iron makes, same thing Harris uses on their rifles FWIW. Just sorta worked out that way, they make all my big bore cans. Definitely not as aggressive as these other brakes, but they for sure make a difference.

I have a Sierra SD suppressor so I'm married to those brakes for .338LM, .300NM, etc. on the MRAD. Basically a two chamber Harris type (or maybe it's the other way around and I should say Elite type?) but smaller, fits over the last two inches of barrel. They do amazing work, this one had to be fitted:

IMG_1402.JPG

Then I have the factory .338 Barrett brake if it'll fit anyone's rifle and they're interested in it.

While effective, both the APA and Area 419 brakes direct blast back to the shooter, making the concussion a bit obnoxious.

For a .30 cal hunting rig, I personally would primarily look towards a brake that doesn't direct the blast/concussion back to the shooter. The Insite Arms Heathen does a really good job of both being effective in reducing recoil, while not directing blast back to the shooter.

As someone else has pointed out, Insite is coming out with a tuner version of their brake. I'm assuming this rifle is for hunting, and I would keep things as simple as possible and avoid putting extra things like a tuner on the end of the barrel, but that's just me.

@JohnInTampa since deer season is winding down you'll have plenty of opportunities to break that rifle in correctly.

Head east of Tampa about 30 minutes and show up at JTAC. There's steel all the way out to 2k.

I am still on the fence about which MB to go with. Brought the rifle home today and the muzzle end of the barrel measures .700”, which means that a Sidewinder or similar brake is certainly going to look huge on the end of this barrel. I’m not too excited about putting something that large on the end of this rifle, and would like to know if there are any slimmer options that actually perform their function well.

Anyone have experience and feedback on Seekin’s ATC brake? I haven’t heard that one mentioned. The low price in comparison the others being discussed has me suspicious about it’s effectiveness.

I am still on the fence about which MB to go with. Brought the rifle home today and the muzzle end of the barrel measures .700”, which means that a Sidewinder or similar brake is certainly going to look huge on the end of this barrel. I’m not too excited about putting something that large on the end of this rifle, and would like to know if there are any slimmer options that actually perform their function well.

Anyone have experience and feedback on Seekin’s ATC brake? I haven’t heard that one mentioned. The low price in comparison the others being discussed has me suspicious about it’s effectiveness.

The heathen can be ordered with a 0.885" body with a 5/8x24 thread.

The heathen can be ordered with a 0.885" body with a 5/8x24 thread.

I wanted to update the thread and also thank you for your suggestion. I went ahead and ordered this brake and it should be here in a day or two. Looking forward to trying it out. Got the scope mounted the other night and looking forward to the first range day with this new rifle.

A965F94A-AA11-4F07-812E-D18FB78BCDD9.png

I wanted to update the thread and also thank you for your suggestion. I went ahead and ordered this brake and it should be here in a day or two. Looking forward to trying it out. Got the scope mounted the other night and looking forward to the first range day with this new rifle.

View attachment 7549734

Good choice, I'm sure you will love it!

View attachment 7549734
I think you’ll be happy with it.
It’s a nice brake.

Reactions: kthomas

Send me your information I'll send you a Tac Ops Brake no charge at all, I think you'll be impressed...

You'll have to have someone put it on though...

My paying it forward for today :)

Mike R.

Send me your information I'll send you a Tac Ops Brake no charge at all, I think you'll be impressed...

You'll have to have someone put it on though...

My paying it forward for today :)

Mike R.

I appreciate the generous offer, Mike. Private message sent.