• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brake that does not require threading

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
Want to install muzzle brake on my 308 win rifle that has a non-threaded barrel. I've heard the arguments against this, and how you don't need one for this caliber. Looking for "clamp-on" muzzle brake that does not require gunsmithing or threading the barrel.

The only one that I know of is Roedale's, does anyone have 1st-hand experience with this? Any other manufacturers make this type of muzzle brake? Thanks.

Re: Muzzle brake that does not require threading

Get the muzzle threaded and pick from the list of great ones. I run breaks on all my guns even .223 They work great regardless of caliber. Most gun smiths only charge around $50 to have it done and then you have something that won't move or worse come off. JMHO

If you simply MUST have a brake that clamps on...get just the Roedale Precision unit and be done with it. First class company and first class products!

HOWEVER...if I were you I would get the barrel threaded 5/8x24 and use any one of a multitude of quality brakes currently on the market and readily available. If later down the road you want a can...simply unscrew your brake and either thread on the can or install an adapter brake that will work with your can. Also, the cost of the clamp-on Roedale brake, plus shipping/handling to the USA, plus the wait-time...the clamp-on brake is going to cost you more than having your barrel threaded and purchase of any number of quality brakes.

Maybe just worried but I don't want gunsmith to mess up my rifle threading the barrel, unlikely, but it shoots under 1/2 MOA now

send it to a good smith as recomended on the hide and you will be good to go it will be better in the long run. The problem with a clamp on break is the exit hole must be larger because of the chance the bore is not cenral so extra clearence is neaded making the break not as efective. also if the clamps are tightened to much they can make the muzzle have a tight spot and shoot badly. a correctly fitted breah that is threaded on is a better option and will have more eficiency that a clamp on and will likley be more accurate as the projectile will also exit central to the break exit hole and not be effected by an overtightend clamp on break the clamp ons are also best on a paralell barrel if your barrel has taper on it you are best advised to have the outside skimed for a spiggot first anyway.

I would get your barrel threaded and a break fitted to it properly post your barreled action stripped down to a smith and they will index the break and thread the barrel then send it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe just worried but I don't want gunsmith to mess up my rifle threading the barrel, unlikely, but it shoots under 1/2 MOA now </div></div>

If it shoots that well now, I wouldn't F--- with it unless I needed to add a can! I know you said you didn't want to get into the brake vs. no brake for a 308 argument, but if you honestly have a solid 1/2MOA or better rifle on a light recoiling rifle like a 308, why do you want to mess with a good thing? Anything you do to the barrel could potentially alter the accuracy just by virtue of altering the barrel harmonics. This is true for clamping a brake down on the end of the barrel or threading it and screwing on a brake. Either way, you may (repeat...<span style="text-decoration: underline">may</span>) change how the rifle shoots.

Now, with that said, a quality/competent gunsmith (you can get a ton of recommendations here on the forum) will be able to thread your barrel 5/8x24, ensure that the threading is crisp/clean and concentric to the bore, and recrown your barrel if needed and you shouldn't have any changes in accuracy.

Got me thinking, does a suppressor decrease recoil?...Or increase accuracy? Would that be the way to go instead?

vkc yes cans reduce felt recoil

increase accuracy... not really... but if loud noises and muzzle flash make you flinch, then perhaps it might help you if you catch my drift.

vman,

Thanks for reply. No problems with flinching due to noise or muzzel flash. To clarify about increased accuracy with suppressor, some claim extra length added to barrel increases accuracy.

Never shot with a suppressor before, how much does it decrease felt recoil on average?

I would say on average most suppressors reduce recio or felt recoil by 20 %, and some go as much as 30-40%, depends on gun, ammo, and can used. I have 3 suppressors now, and love them.

I have been toying with the idea of installing a break on my new 300 RUM barrel, but the barrel life is only aprox. 1000 - 1200 rnds. In the first week I have already reduced that my 10%. I may get the brake just to reduce that recoil by 50% or I may not if it turns out to be a tack driver. The other thing to consider is how close you will be shooting to other people at the range. I have a friend shooting a .338 RUM and I have to be around ten or more feet to the side or I feel and really hear his blast.