• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

muzzle brake

mcc308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2012
What's the best muzzle brake for a 308 bolt gun??

Re: muzzle brake

Personally, I like the Surefire 7.62SSAL/RE. MY friend has one on his 700p .300 win mag and it has less than half the recoil of my 700pss .308. Also has one on his DD AR15. His has literally no recoil. I know some will say why buy the Surefire if your not utilizing their suppressors, but I really like the look of it as well. I also like the Badger FTE brake. I like the tactical look myself.
But, I will say that you won't have many fans if shooting around others. Shooting next to his rifle, there is a huge concussion when he fires.
Guess it all depends on what your preference and usage of the rifle will be. I believe than some competitions ban the useage of muzzle brakes. I am no expert, just offering my opinion.

I've used several. For a .308, I'd use a Little Bastard from APA. VAIS brakes are also good.

I saw a youtube video that APA did with their Fat Bastard on a .338. Funny as hell!

do you plan to buy a suppressor later?

if so than i think surefire makes one that has a quick detach system.

i have an AAC 51T muzzle brake and it works pretty damn good and you can also attach a suppressor later (same brake as in video in my sig)

if you do not plan on using a suppressor later then i know that JP enterprise make a pretty damn good brake. my cousin uses it on his rifle and it has no recoil what so ever. i actually feel as if the rifle is pulling away more than it is pushing into my shoulder when i shoot his rifle.

there are many options out there though. you just have to find the one that suites your style and meets your demands.

I agree with all of the statements above. I personally prefer the Surefire brakes not only for their effectiveness BUT also for the ability to mount a suppressor. Like Bryan240 said tho...you wont have many fans on the firing line cause of the concussive blast.

Thanks for the opinions guys really appriciate you time. No in the darn state I live in were not allowed suppressors. So I wont be useing one. I am not shooting any matches so I wont be bothering anyone close by with blast.

I love my Vias brake on my 308. With many holes in multiple directions not as obnoxious to others around you. Does not reduce the recoil as much as bidirectional brakes, but still nice shooting.

I have a jp enterprises tactical compensator. I love it and strongly recommend it.

I have also looked heavily into rat worx brakes. The big and little chubby looked very promising.

I use the AAC muzzle brake it is awesome on my 16" AR10. The recoils is like an AR15 with an A2 flash hider. I believe they also have a non mount version

I ran a Near Mfg brake for a while before I changed over to a suppressor. Made my 308 recoil feel like a 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out R&D precisions brake. I really like that one and how easy it is to remove.

http://www.rdprecision.net/mrad.html
</div></div>

+1 on the MRAD. I am very happy with mine on a 300WM. Its small, light, very effective and QD if you want to run a suppressor or be polite to the people shooting next to you at the range.

The most effective brake you can put on your .308 is an APA Little Jimmy. Behind that is an APA Little Bastard. Pick the one of these that aesthetically you like best. Next in line for me is a Badger Thruster. The Badger will vent the gas more to the side where the APA products vent at an angle slightly back toward the shooter (actually, more where a spotter would stage up). So, to the shooter the APA products are just slightly louder.

These are my favorites for a tactical/match rifle with a Remington Varmint/Sendero contour or larger. For a skinny hunting barrel goes with the Vais.

Mark