• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle brakes on .308 any regrets?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
I started shooting my .308 rifle alot and was thinking about adding a muzzle brake. It really doesnt kick that bad but its enough that I lose my target after the shot. I was wondering if anyone has wished they hadnt braked it or if its a once you brake youll never go back kinda thing?

Re: Muzzle brakes on .308 any regrets?

I brake everything.

You'll have to take it off if you decide to shoot F Class.

Get one, to each their own, wear ear protection for sure and make sure to get a thread protector just in case you no likey. Love em and hate em here.

I like mine alot, do not regret it one bit

Not to mention, it will already be threaded for a can when you decide you can't live without one.

Only when i shot a deer and i was prone next to a berm (little ringing that day)

I dont regret mine. I love it. I havent had any complaints at the range. Most people ask me what I am running.

Love the brakes. I double up all the time unless hunting then just elctro muffs.
I shoot A LOT, 6 days a week mostly and the recoil from thousands of center fire rounds a year will wear you down. Injury to the shoulder, back, neck, possible detached retina or double up on the ear protection.
Seems like a no brainer to me.

I used to not brake my AR's. It was a huge PITA re-indexing the bird cage and crush washers while swapping the 5.56 suppressor back and forth. This was always done in field conditions. I bought a $50 Miculek brake with indexing jam nut to try out and it made the swapping out quicker and easier. Not to mention it makes shooting an AR like shooting a Wii Zapper. I can watch round trace in an acog from the standing position with a brake. All AR's are braked now as well. For what it is worth.

I bought the brake when i bought my TRG-22, LOVE IT. 308's arn't the hardest kicking rifles,but that TRG just stays put when I shoot it. I have to reset my FN-SPR-A2,and my Kimbet ATR after every shot.

DSCN1110.jpg

this is whats on my 308 now it is the Tubb adjustable muzzle brake you will really want hearing protection when shooting with this brake and the people shooting next to you will hate you alot

I use no brakes, and contain my recoil control to chambering choices and wise judgement about which loads I employ.

So far, except for a few family heirloom hunting rifles I was asked to zero, nothing has put any marks on me.

I have what I consider valid reasons to limit recoil, yet even within those limitations, I believe I can accomplish anything with a firearm that I consider worthwhile.

Magnums warrant brakes. I believe that lesser chamberings don't.

I shoot next to braked mags and it's simply an exercise in character building and distraction tolerance for me. They exist, I endure, life continues. My objection would only earn me intolerance, and I don't need any more of that; my plate is already full, thank you very much.

Greg

I had a brake on my 308. I didnt get it because the recoil was too much to handle, but because I wanted to spot my own hits (or misses) more easily, and get back on target faster after each shot. Did it help me do those things? YES!

Badger Thruster is my brake of choice, for the price it cant be beat.

yes I do have one regret.............. Not putting it on there sooner. The badger FTE on my GAP rifle makes long round count days really easy to stay focused.

I must have posted my technique on these forums for halting bipod hop in its tracks at least a dozen times by now.

I guess you can lead a horse to water, but...

I'm done here...

I shot at a F-class match yesterday with a brake on my 308 and I know there were a few folks that were complaining, but I wasn't the only rifle with a brake there.

As Greg said above, when using a brake with Magnum cals it is warranted. On a 308 is it really needed, I guess it depends on the person driving and what they want from it.

I was able to set-up and shoot on lane 6 where Greg was and tried to keep as far away from the next shooter on the line as possible, hopefully I didn't cause to much of a stir. I need a lot more trigger time and am considering dropping the brake, time will tell though.

Yes I do.

I wanted a threaded barrel to run a muffler and instead of having a thread protector, I went with a brake. In addition, I hope the brake eliminates dirt spray shooting prone. I want the blast to go parallel to the ground and nothing down. Glacial silt flying in the air with even the slightest wind will cover rifle and scope glass and silt is very abrasive.

worth every penny...no regrets. keeps you more comfortable, see the impact, extra protection for the crown, plus a legal way to get your barrel threaded without expensive papers.

308_FRONTAL_VIEWJPG.jpg

the only REAL drawback to this oversized one is that if your on a stalk, twigs and grass tend to get stuck in it if your belly crawin' without a bag, or if uncovered, accumilates alot of snow in the winter.

you'll still be dusting a bit, roll out a mat to compensate for it, or spray vegetable oil or water on the ground before shooting to keep the dust down.

if you have any 2nd thoughts on getting one, put 'em to rest, and get one, you wront be sorry.

No brake.

I can spot my own trace/impact. I can spot impacts at 100 yards in the prone. Not so much if I am in a unsteady/field position.

There are days I shoot 20 rounds. There are days I shoot 200 rounds. 308 is not a "shoulder pounder".

For competition where every advantage counts, I could see needing one. For general shooting or training, I see it as a crutch. If you are having trouble getting back on target, fix your technique not the rifle.

Just my $0.02

i have three identical tactical rifles chambered in .223, .308, .300WM. the .300WM has a brake installed by paul day of fort gibson lake oklahoma. the work is beautiful! i like to tell folks that the .300 and the .223 are in contest to see which one kicks least! other than noise, the shooter has no idea which one he is shootin. they make the .308 look like a stompin mule!

Sign up for the online training, with a brake it's a lot easier to spot your hits, but with the right technique it can be done without a brake, as always I recommend the Tubb brake, if my AR15 bad a bigger diameter barrel it would have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was wondering if anyone has wished the hadn't braked it </div></div>

No.

Forget the proper form / spotting your hits debate for a moment and ask yourself this. Why would you not want less recoil???

I even brake my .243's....

Reactions: Lucky1

I know it is not the OP's original question but if you love your brake throw a pic of it and let us all know about the blowback. Shooting in field conditions is what SHWW gets...and with a few brakes running around on our last shootout I had my drag bag and rifles costed in shit....I don't have a brake and am considering one for my 17lb 300WM but am hesitant because of all the dusting from shooting in field conditions...we can't all shoot from a nice grassy area or use huge tarps. I noticed that another shooter's 308 5R almost had a fire under his muzzle after 150+ rounds...with a side/up discharge brake this hazard could be avoided.....if you love the brake please let us see it and report how the discharge did as far as dusting the firing line.

Joe, this is the Badger FTE I have on my .308. I mostly shoot prone, in the dirt, at the range I go to. It dose not kick up any more dust or dirt than a rifle with no brake. I wear bolth ear plugs and muffs when I shoot and have shot right next to this type of brake and did not think it was too loud. In your case a 300WM may kick up more dust due to more muzzel blast. Over all I've had only positive experiences with this brake.

215umv.jpg

Thanks for the info...been looking at those but not sure how well it kept the blast horisontal...thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it is not the OP's original question but if you love your brake throw a pic of it and let us all know about the blowback. Shooting in field conditions is what SHWW gets...and with a few brakes running around on our last shootout I had my drag bag and rifles costed in shit....I don't have a brake and am considering one for my 17lb 300WM but am hesitant because of all the dusting from shooting in field conditions...we can't all shoot from a nice grassy area or use huge tarps. I noticed that another shooter's 308 5R almost had a fire under his muzzle after 150+ rounds...with a side/up discharge brake this hazard could be avoided.....if you love the brake please let us see it and report how the discharge did as far as dusting the firing line.</div></div>

I dont mind post those pictures

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was wondering if anyone has wished the hadn't braked it </div></div>

No.

Forget the proper form / spotting your hits debate for a moment and ask yourself this. Why would you not want less recoil???

I even brake my .243's....

</div></div>

AMEN!

With the right technique you can drive railroad spikes with a tack hammer, but why would you want to?

I put together my first 308 recently and I love it. I watched Lowlight's video on loading the bipod and have no issue staying on target other than when my shoulders are not aligned right and it goes to one side or the other a little. When I got my AICS stock I put a Holland's Brake on it.

I got the brake because I wanted the look. Added bonus will be if I can move out of IL and get a supressor. I still use the loading of the bipod. I plan to get a thread cover made and shoot un-braked to make sure my technique is correct. I'm not a pro shooter, I'm a wannabe that enjoys shooting paper. Maybe someday I can take a proper rifle course and maybe do a comp. I love rifle, it feels like a 223 or less now. I've only shot from a bench so far, so I can not report on the dust factor.

If you're braking just for controlling the rifle, watch LL's videos on Youtube about loading the bipod and practice that.

I sat directly behind SR15Match as he fired his strings, and I mean I was just off to the left and even with his ankles. I had a few things on my mind (mostly related to my own piss-poor performance). The report from his rifle was noticeable, but not in any way disturbing to me. In fact, more and more of my thinking was related to admiring the workmanlike manner in which he shot is strings. In the end, it got my mind off my own dumb stuff and was relatively therapeutic.

BTW, two firing positions to his left, there was a .300WM firing in the same relay. While being a bit noticeably louder; hey folks, a match firing line is loud, it's supposed to be loud, so get over it. If the heat's oppressive step outside the kitchen. If the sound's too loud, put on double hearing protection. 'S what I'd do...

Many years ago, a fellow came by the line (a different line in a different state) and set up with a braked magnum. It was my first such experience, and I innocently commented that it was surprisingly loud. The guy got all belligerent about it, and indulging the better part of valor, I quietly packed up and went home. I got the feeling the guy was trying to piss somebody off, and I managed to fit the bill. I chalked it up to 'it takes all kinds...' and made a point of carrying an extra set of plugs in case I'd be needing them under my sound muffs. I figure If I can't handle the line environment, it's my problem, and not somebody else's.

Greg

Why would anyone want more recoil?. . . . Kind of a loaded question. I don't think anyone "wants" more recoil but at what cost are you arresting your own rifles recoil?

My opinion is that it is not worth the trade offs to brake a freakin 14 to 17 pound .308. We are not talking about a 9 pound hunting rifle. We constantly see small statured people performing excellently in back to back days of shooting without a brake on such rifles. Would a brake improve their scores? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on a lot. While it may be obvious that I am not a fan of brakes, there are certain types of rifles (.338LM/.338NM and many big .30 Mags) that I will almost always install brakes on. But by definition (brakes on .308 title of thread) that is not what the discussion centers on.

Some of you say that it improves your score. What does it do to the scores of the shooters on either side of you? Seriously. I would like to know. Have you thought about it? Do you care? When you are out shooting by yourself, the welfare of others may not be on your short list of worries. When you are in the presence of other shooters, it should matter everytime.

I can assure you that there is a large and growing group of competitors that are complaining and pushing for some type of segregation on the firing lines. You may say they are just whining. My opinion from being there constantly is "bullshit". They have a legit complaint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> While being a bit noticeably louder; hey folks, a match firing line is loud, it's supposed to be loud, so get over it. If the heat's oppressive step outside the kitchen. If the sound's too loud, put on double hearing protection. 'S what I'd do... </div></div>

I'm going to pick on Greg (sorry Greg) cause his post is the closest for me to quote.

Question for you Greg. Would you get pissed if I were shooting next to you and while we were both trying to do our best, I reached over and slapped your hat half off or grabbed a handful of whatever is on the ground and threw it at you and your rifle? Not kidding here. Serious question.

Every year, I have seasoned as well as new shooters commenting about the extremely hostile environments that come with being squaded next to a brake. I personally have had my cap turned sideways on my head numerous times from that same horizontal muzzle blast that you all say keeps "dusting" down. Oh, and by the way, several times that rifle was a .243Win. This has happened from just about every type of popular brake out there. I'm sorry Greg but being noticeably more loud and having your own gear filled full of sand/grass/mud or feeling like Metro just flashbanged you in a bathroom stall is not the same.

Shooting in open air ranges with benches and gear having good seperation may minimize the effects but doesn't make it go away. Put those same shooters on a crowded line or stacked in close on the deck of a tower and have everyone shoot under the same buzzer. Very, very different game. Even when shooting one at a time, there are instances when a brake will even bite the owner in the ass such as shooting from within a structure, vehicle or next to an object that will put that blast back on you.

Funny that most of the top finishers at most of the top tactical comps are not shooting brakes. Brakes are good money makers for many shops. Some shooters think that brakes look cool. Brakes do cut recoil. None of those three things are bad. However, most of what we do is a group sport and we all strive to do the best we can in stressful situations. Many people spend a large amount of money and even more valuable time off to go the range for practice or to a competition and do the best they can. I absolutely, positively can guarantee you that your brake is having a negative effect on your neighbors compared to an unbraked rifle.

I personally was approached by 5 shooters, 4 of which finished in the top 10 at this Springs SHC. The other was a lady that is just getting into this sport and is showing great promise. Everyone of them had stories from that weekend where they were squaded next to brake and compensators that were knocking them senseless and making it very difficult for them to get a shot off without flinching. I also personally had at least 3 shots that went somewhere into another zip code due to an explosion from the side right about when I was trying to get my own shot released. None of this is the fault of the SHC or RO staff. It is just the results of our sport allowing a wide range of equipment.

I know of a couple of shooters that had wins with a brake. Great shooting and congratulations. BUT. . who is to say that one of their fellow shooters to either side may have had the winning score but was hobbled by the next door muzzle brake? Guess it's like how many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. . . we will never know.

I have always thought that one of the main rules of competition conduct is to perform the best you can but never at the expense of another competitor. Well, it is my opinion that every brake on the line violates that very rule. <span style="text-decoration: underline">I will be using up valuable time at the shooter number squading part of our sniper comp in December but we are going to be the first ones to squad all brake shooters together. No penalties or changes in the way the match is shot for them except for being side by side with others that choose to equip their rifles with a brake. </span>
I challenge every competition out there to do the same type of segregation. No handicaps or rule changes against the shooters using brakes except to have them enjoy each others company throughout the events. This little experiment would cost the ones putting on a comp nothing and take very little extra time on the front end.

It is my opinion that after about a year of this, the ranks of shooters using brakes will shrink enormously.. . . at least those that are actually shooting their rifles and trying to improve themselves. Not only will they experience competition from a different perspective but I predict that with few exceptions, they will witness most of the top finishers around the country will be running rifles witout brakes.

I am working on a special brake with some adjustable side ports that I can actually aim. Next time I am having to eat dirt while next to a certain type of rifle, I will adjust it so I can share the love back.
smile.gif

Everybody have a safe Labor Day.

I put brakes on pistols that are chambered for rifle calibers, so that I can use rifle scopes on them.

With a .308 rifle, it's all about body position, prone or otherwise, unless you have a 6lb rifle.

Brakes don't help 'spot shots'. I don't have any brake on any rifle except the Surefire adapter on my .308 Gladius-type-thing (but that was a Spec build). No brakes on custom barreled AR's, no brakes on my .308's, and no brake on my 300Win Mag ELR gun. I have no trouble spotting my hits at 100 or 1800 with a 300 Win Mag and 210VLD's at 2975fps.

shooting next to a brake is an inconvenient just like a 100+ degree day is or the rain on my scope lens is. we shoot tactical competitions, not bench rest. i see no problem with there being one more bit of stress when shooting this style of match. my 300 win mag wiht no brake probably has more dust signature and sound than many of the 308's with brakes. our gear is designed to be used in the field. a bit of blowing dust or debris shouldn't hurt it. we should be able to handle these conditions as well.

Terry makes a good point. While I am a brake lover, I do concede that they can be rude, and sometimes I regret it when on the line with all the other brakes...

Last match I shot, I was next to a 7BAT shooting my Creedmoor. Both of us had brakes, and I will say that on benches side by side, me shooting left handed, him shooting right, neither of us were loving life... We were face to face, about a foot apart, and I can say that I was tired of being pounded in the face by that cannon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put brakes on pistols that are chambered for rifle calibers, so that I can use rifle scopes on them.

I don't have any brake on any rifle except the Surefire adapter on my .308 Gladius-type-thing (but that was a Spec build). No brakes on custom barreled AR's, no brakes on my .308's, and no brake on my 300Win Mag ELR gun. I have no trouble spotting my hits at 100 or 1800 with 210VLD's at 2975fps.

Brakes don't help 'spot shots'. With a .308, it's all body position, prone or otherwise, unless you have a 6lb rifle. </div></div>

Graham,

My wife has the Surefire brake/adaptor on her 20" 308 and I think there is a bit more "punch" when standing or shooting next to her compared to my Ops Inc brake but it's not a situation where it's bad enough to effect my concentration. Do you shoot yours with a can attached or leave it open? Just curious on your take of that brake.

I can understand appreciate the complications and issues that can come from shooting next to a weapon with a brake. Every situation is different and yes Terry gave some very good examples.

If I am shooting where there is dust/dirt or anything else that can be kicked up I'll be sure to position myself to an end lane, move out of the way or wait if it's allowed. I know this isn't always an option for all shooters in all situations but common sense and courtesy plays into it, I try to be a nice guy.

Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shooting next to a brake is an inconvenient just like a 100+ degree day is or the rain on my scope lens is. we shoot tactical competitions, not bench rest. i see no problem with there being one more bit of stress when shooting this style of match.
<span style="color: #3366FF">I think you are totally missing the very point I made in regards to competitions or public ranges. 100+ degree heat and rain and ants crawling up my ass is just natures way of showing us who is boss. Everybody has to deal with that and any associated discomfort was not brought upon by other shooters next to you. Big difference. </span>
my 300 win mag wiht no brake probably has more dust signature and sound than many of the 308's with brakes. our gear is designed to be used in the field. a bit of blowing dust or debris shouldn't hurt it. we should be able to handle these conditions as well. <span style="color: #3366FF">Agreed. This type of equipment should be able to handle those conditions. But again, when in a group environment (competition/training or play day at the public range) is it fair to put your neighbors rifle and gear to the test because of the debris from <span style="font-weight: bold">your</span> rifle. It would only be fair to invite those on either side of you to test your own gear by letting them dump a hand full of debris in your action and scope objective. Not being an ass, just trying to play good guy/bad guy and get everybody to think. </span> </div></div>

sr15, I don't have a can for it.

The Surefire brake/adapter works quite well as a muzzle brake, and it's not as annoying to other shooters as some brakes are (or, as annoying to the shooter as some brakes are, like the Vais that is vented downward and kicks up dirt from the ground).

That said, the side blast from it will blow a bacon-wrapped scallop from the plate onto your data book; another good use for write-in-the-rain paper.
laugh.gif

i have not really looked down the line but i would guess it is close to 50%, if not more of the rifles have brakes on them now. i personally concentrate on what i am doing while on the line and don't even notice the guy next to me firing off a round even with a brake. after my shooting is done and i am no longer paying attention to my shooting, then sure, i notice the blast from a brake. i have yet to have a rifle problem because of blowing dust or debris from a neighboring shooter's brake. i shoot with a brake now and will most likely put a brake on every tactical rifle i build for myself from now on. once it gets to 75% or more of shooters using a brake, it is going to be very hard to hold a match while segregating the shooters using them. it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the majority of rifles at a match using a brake before too long. not a week goes by that someone doesn't ask if i can install a muzzle brake for them and i'm not even a gunsmith, just a guy with a lathe in the garage. i am sure the real gunsmiths/rifle builders, such as yourself get several requests per day.

i think muzzle brakes on tactical rifles are here to stay. most of us have learned to deal with that. if you have the ability to segregate those with a brake, that would be great. that would be difficult at most matches, in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i think muzzle brakes on tactical rifles are here to stay. most of us have learned to deal with that. if you have the ability to segregate those with a brake, that would be great. that would be difficult at most matches, in my opinion. </div></div>

It's not difficult at all, in F-class. They're simply banned entirely...and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Equipment will never make someone into a shooter. If you can't hit shit without a brake, the brake will not make the difference.

But, as stated, a brake will tame ANY cartridge.

I am not having trouble hitting my target, its more of an annoyance to lose the target after the shot, especially since its a 12-lb rifle. I don't see how I can load up a Harris bipod when there is no rearward give like an Atlas bipod.

Work on your NPA: with a 12lb rifle you should not be losing sight of the target after the shot.

Loading the bi-pod has nothing to do with slack in the bi-pod itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i think muzzle brakes on tactical rifles are here to stay. most of us have learned to deal with that. if you have the ability to segregate those with a brake, that would be great. that would be difficult at most matches, in my opinion. </div></div>

It's not difficult at all, in F-class. They're simply banned entirely...and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Equipment will never make someone into a shooter. If you can't hit shit without a brake, the brake will not make the difference.

But, as stated, a brake will tame ANY cartridge. </div></div>

my bad. i though we were discussing tactical type rifles, not f-class. good luck trying to ban muzzle brakes from all tactical matches.

i don't think anyone ever stated that a muzzle brake would turn a shitty shooter into a match winner. i don't feel my 15 lb 300 win mag shooting 210 vld's at 2950 <span style="font-style: italic">needs</span> a muzzle brake. i don't have one on it now and will shoot 50 rounds in an hour and a half without issue. i have no doubt a brake will get me back on target faster though. i will put a brake on it when i rebarrel or build a new 300 win mag (not sure which i am going to do at this point).

Reactions: carlos-danger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">npa? </div></div>

natural point of aim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have not really looked down the line but i would guess it is close to 50%, if not more of the rifles have brakes on them now. <span style="color: #000099"> Yep. At the SHC, I would say more rifles had brakes than not.</span> once it gets to 75% or more of shooters using a brake, it is going to be very hard to hold a match while segregating the shooters using them. <span style="color: #000099">Nope. Not hard at all. Check by the name of each brake user, Sort the list and then spin down the shooter number in Excel prior to assigning the shooter numbers. Quick and easy. </span> it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the majority of rifles at a match using a brake before too long. not a week goes by that someone doesn't ask if i can install a muzzle brake for them and i'm not even a gunsmith, just a guy with a lathe in the garage. i am sure the real gunsmiths/rifle builders, such as yourself get several requests per day. <span style="color: #000099">You are correct. There is a lot of money to be made making and installing brakes. I know of a local smith that makes his house payment putting brakes on everything from a 22LR up. I get a lot of requests for them and will install them. I just don't endorse their use for most circumstances. </span>

i think muzzle brakes on tactical rifles are here to stay. <span style="color: #000099">I absolutely, totally disagree. If by "tactical" rifle, you are talking about a true working rifle for use by L.E. or Military, you will never see them use a brake on any entry carbine or non-magnum sniper rifle. While there may be some exceptions out there, my money is on them dropping the idea the first time they go "live" with any poopoo. To do so would hobble them in several different ways. Try taking your 223 into a Kill House with a popular muzzle brake. Opens up your sinuses and kills any communication with team members at the same time. Ditto for any sniper/spotter set up in a hide where S.O.P. is to not have your muzzle extending past any windows, doors, etc. If on the other hand you are using "tactical" rifle to define some of the game guns we all tend to drag to the line, you may be temporarily right. I personally think most of this will follow a natural process of evolution. </span> most of us have learned to deal with that. if you have the ability to segregate those with a brake, that would be great. that would be difficult at most matches, in my opinion. <span style="color: #000099"> Again, segregation, not to be confused with being punished or penalized, would be easy per above. Even if 90% of the shooters showed up with brakes, the remaining 10% should have a reasonable opportunity to compete without penalty from other shooters.</span> </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099"> Again, segregation, not to be confused with being punished or penalized, would be easy per above. Even if 90% of the shooters showed up with brakes, the remaining 10% should have a reasonable opportunity to compete without penalty from other shooters.</span>

if you have a match with 60 shooters and 90% of them have brakes, what are you going to do? have the 54 braked shooters on the line at one time and then have the remaining 6 take their turn? i am not sure how your match or matches you shoot at are run so i am probably not seeing something obvious. even long before i used a brake, i just never found shooting next to someone with a brake as a penalty.

<span style="color: #000099">If on the other hand you are using "tactical" rifle to define some of the game guns we all tend to drag to the line, you may be temporarily right. I personally think most of this will follow a natural process of evolution..</span>

yeah, i guess i do mean "tactical" rifle like you describe above. i usually try to use "tactical", <span style="font-style: italic">tactical</span> or tacticool when describing the rifles that the majority of use on here use. while i know there are users on this site that have working guns, i am pretty sure the majority of us that actually use our rifles on this site use them in competitions, not in life or death situations. probably an even bigger portion of the rifles posted on this are not used for much more than taking pictures and bragging. i agree that muzzle brakes in competitions will follow a natural process of evolution, i just disagree with you on which direction that is.

I have had 1 weapon with a brake on it. It was a DPMS lr308. It did help with the recoil but that gun didnt need it. It was on there when I bought it. I did have a few people walking behind me while I was shooting. It was a hot line and they had no ear pro in. I dindt know this and shot a 3 round string fairly quickly. They commented on this by shouting HOLY F***!. I stopped shooting apologised to them but also told them they were on a hot line and they needed ear pro. They were kind and said it was their fault for no ear pro. Neither of my bolt 308s have brakes on them but I am seriously thinking about one. It will be mainly for my wife. I do not have the money to buy and feed another gun. She cant hardly take the recoil so it is my way of getting her shooting with out having to feed another gun. I see it that if i can make it more comfortable for her the better. I also have been having problems with my shoulder after my wreck and I am not sure if I can take any recoil. If it makes me more comfortable and able to shoot them I will have no problem installing one.

I do not shoot comps so I have zero experence with that train of thought. I do feel the need to be kind to other shooters though. I am not out there trying to piss this or that guy off. He/She is just trying to enjoy a sport that I am as well. If i were to bother anyone while shooting no mater what reason I will try to solve the problem. If you are kind it will come back to you. The same holds true if you are an asshole.