• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brakes poor form at the range?

Y'all sound like a bunch of range Karen's.

It is a rifle range for pete's sake.

Lord I want off this planet.

1709728179855.jpeg

So I was at an outdoor range today zeroing a new scope... I have a 7RM 26" heavy barrel with an APA Little Bastard brake on it. The people on either side of me got quite upset and some guy's wife said "WHAT IS THAT???" in that super bitchy tone of voice. They complained to the RSO and asked if I was allowed to do that. Normally, I do try to sit on either end of the firing line, but being the weekend, the range was pretty full and that wasn't an option.

I generally try to be courteous when possible, but that lady almost made me say what I was actually thinking.

At any rate, the RSO told her she probably needs better earplugs and moved the people on either side of me somewhere else.

Is there an etiquette to this? I was just sighting in a new scope for god's sake (and a few rounds for load development).
I break out my JP Comp Eliminator in self-defense; AR10 has a better blast than the ar15 ;) .. hats can fly
best breaks in the world, if you're the shooter..

Last edited:
Yes, and that exactly why top ports are pretty retarded.
Did you sleep through physics?
You do understand that a bipod isn't a solid object with no give?

Gosh, do I have to explain everything around here?

Now that we have brakes with top ports to control hop, bottom ports are needed to counteract the downward push from the top ports...

Gosh, do I have to explain everything around here?

Now that we have brakes with top ports to control hop, bottom ports are needed to counteract the downward push from the top ports...
That`s interesting. Knowing little to nothing about brakes myself ( other than stated purpose and their impact on adjacent shooters ), if brakes cause muzzles to jump, even with bottom ports, does that indicate that they`re really not very good at controlling muzzle jump? Thanks. Guy shooting next to me with a 300 Remington had a brake with holes all over it. Looked like his barrel was bouncing around pretty good.

That`s interesting. Knowing little to nothing about brakes myself ( other than stated purpose and their impact on adjacent shooters ), if brakes cause muzzles to jump, even with bottom ports, does that indicate that they`re really not very good at controlling muzzle jump? Thanks. Guy shooting next to me with a 300 Remington had a brake with holes all over it. Looked like his barrel was bouncing around pretty good.
The right brake controls muzzle jump quite well. Some of them are horrible at it. I want any remaining recoil coming straight into my shoulder. The problem is that we as humans are intuitive and it's natural to think that downward pressure from a muzzle brake will push down on your bipod and hold it nice and firm.

The opposite is actually true. I think I mentioned it somewhere above but this thread is getting long. LOL

Think of it like this... Your bipod is the pivot point of your whole shooting system. If you push down on the end of your barrel or your muzzle brake with your hand, the rifle will pivot around the bipod and the butt stock will raise up. Now imagine that happening in an instant with more force and the bipod legs flexing slightly at the same time. It adds up to bad medicine.

Any downward force at all at the end of your barrel will have negative consequences. The opposite is true as well and pretty obvious as to why.

Edit: I forgot to add that the gentleman with all of the ports was having problems due to the above. A lot of people buy stuff because it looks cool and is "adjustable". Plus that intuition I mentioned probably convinced him those ports everywhere would be stellar! LOL Not.

Those radial brakes are fantastic for blowing dirt and grass all over the guy downwind of you.

I think we should go back to the old school shit just for fun.

The right brake controls muzzle jump quite well. Some of them are horrible at it. I want any remaining recoil coming straight into my shoulder. The problem is that we as humans are intuitive and it's natural to think that downward pressure from a muzzle brake will push down on your bipod and hold it nice and firm.

The opposite is actually true. I think I mentioned it somewhere above but this thread is getting long. LOL

Think of it like this... Your bipod is the pivot point of your whole shooting system. If you push down on the end of your barrel or your muzzle brake with your hand, the rifle will pivot around the bipod and the butt stock will raise up. Now imagine that happening in an instant with more force and the bipod legs flexing slightly at the same time. It adds up to bad medicine.

Any downward force at all at the end of your barrel will have negative consequences. The opposite is true as well and pretty obvious as to why.

Edit: I forgot to add that the gentleman with all of the ports was having problems due to the above. A lot of people buy stuff because it looks cool and is "adjustable". Plus that intuition I mentioned probably convinced him those ports everywhere would be stellar! LOL Not.
Thank you sir. In the interest of full disclosure, even with the bouncing muzzle, and everything else on his table that wasn`t tied down flying about, that 300 Win Mag was having no problems printing sub-MOA groups at 500 yards on steel.

Reactions: lash
Bipod jump..

It’s called proper fundamentals

That whole loading the bipod against a board etc

Take a class and it all goes away

So I was at an outdoor range today zeroing a new scope... I have a 7RM 26" heavy barrel with an APA Little Bastard brake on it. The people on either side of me got quite upset and some guy's wife said "WHAT IS THAT???" in that super bitchy tone of voice. They complained to the RSO and asked if I was allowed to do that. Normally, I do try to sit on either end of the firing line, but being the weekend, the range was pretty full and that wasn't an option.

I generally try to be courteous when possible, but that lady almost made me say what I was actually thinking.

At any rate, the RSO told her she probably needs better earplugs and moved the people on either side of me somewhere else.

Is there an etiquette to this? I was just sighting in a new scope for god's sake (and a few rounds for load development).

I have an APA Little Bastard on my .300 wm, and usually warned people who were setting up next to me or I would ask before setting up next to them. Unless they were goat fuckers shooting AKs (which happens in Austin), then I would bang away at it to run them off.

If someone got extra Karen with me, I'd say something like "Look bitch, complaining about noise at the range is like wanting to fuck and complaining about getting cum in your hair."

Bipod jump..

It’s called proper fundamentals

That whole loading the bipod against a board etc

Take a class and it all goes away
That all goes out the window when you're prone or shoot where they don't have a board to load your bipod. I guess I could ask a heavy set girl to sit on my rig.

Reactions: JAS-SH
This thread affected me, so much so that when I went to the range range this week I ask my fellow shooters if they were offended. They said you were a bunch of pussies, rock out with your cock out.

We had a disrespectful dipshit purposely set up a 50cal next to us on a 100 yard while we had a NRL22 match going because he was butthurt. Muzzle blast was interfering with our match.

We had a disrespectful dipshit purposely set up a 50cal next to us on a 100 yard while we had a NRL22 match going because he was butthurt. Muzzle blast was interfering with our match.
That’s was just and inconsiderate asshole. I would have talked to somebody and pointed that out. I’m not saying that you should have, just that that ain’t prudent.

That’s was just and inconsiderate asshole. I would have talked to somebody and pointed that out. I’m not saying that you should have, just that that ain’t prudent.
At our range they don't allow any other shooter on that range when a competition is going on. Which bugs me because they are there almost every Saturday. But setting up next to a competition out of spite isn't helping at all.

At our range they don't allow any other shooter on that range when a competition is going on. Which bugs me because they are there almost every Saturday. But setting up next to a competition out of spite isn't helping at all.
Well, if that were the case and me being the MD of the match, I’d be calling the owner or whoever thinks they’re in charge and shut that shit down. You act like an asshole, you get the asshole treatment.

He’s been shooting for a minute…

Post in thread 'Introducing kids to shooting'
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/introducing-kids-to-shooting.7208572/post-11431161
Again, my apologies for my mistake. I really wasn't paying much attention to the person and was watching the gun. Plus I can't see for crap these days. LOL I don't know the Kung Fu and I'm sure the kid could flip me around like a sack of potatoes.

Also, I think I got lost in the shuffle of this thread. I wasn't trying to say that you can't control a rifle on a bipod with a brake on it. My rig doesn't have any barrel jump with the muzzle brake that I use. The "quieter" ATS one that I bought and tried did take a significant amount of effort to control and was annoying because my APA doesn't.

My latest effort at trying to be nice. I put up my box of reloads as a diverter, but the blast kept slamming the lid shut.

Attachments

• Blast Diverter.jpg
    Blast Diverter.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Haha
That all goes out the window when you're prone or shoot where they don't have a board to load your bipod. I guess I could ask a heavy set girl to sit on my rig.
All the bellybenchrest guys in Fclass F-TR use skis on their bipods like the one below. There is a really good reason for that. It make shooting from a bipod like shooting on a benchrest with front bag.

I use the round skis available for my Atlas bipod and they are game changers.

1710113301860.jpeg

I was at an ELR shooting class this weekend and the guy next to me was shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor with a brake. I was spitting out sand the whole time and it was only a 6.5 Creed. I shave my head, so not a bad hair day, but I was covered with sand. It was a mess.

However, it wasn't upsetting me at all. Just part of the game. But it did suck.
My braked 7RM was pelting him equally well or worse.
We figured out our rhythm, took turns and got on with it.

Great class and a ton of fun.

I was at an ELR shooting class this weekend and the guy next to me was shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor with a brake. I was spitting out sand the whole time and it was only a 6.5 Creed. I shave my head, so not a bad hair day, but I was covered with sand. It was a mess.

However, it wasn't upsetting me at all. Just part of the game. But it did suck.
My braked 7RM was pelting him equally well or worse.
We figured out our rhythm, took turns and got on with it.

Great class and a ton of fun.
Grim`s, if you were " spitting out sand ", I assume you both were prone right next to each other. You say that you took turns, did you try to back off a little bit to get out of the way or did you just lay there and take it?

Grim`s, if you were " spitting out sand ", I assume you both were prone right next to each other. You say that you took turns, did you try to back off a little bit to get out of the way or did you just lay there and take it?
We both just took it because it would have been impractical to keep moving back and forth. "Spitting out sand" was a bit gratuitous. It was little pieces now and then, not a mouth full of mud. I did breath through my nose after a few episodes however. LOL

another redneck solution for just blast is, plywood and 2x4s and make the 'wall(s)'..... and if you angle them in a bit and build a box along the lower inside edge it catches brass and is an improved stand.