• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brakes poor form at the range?

I really don’t view brakes as making people assholes.

To me, it’s more comparable to smelling bad. I won’t hold it against them, it’s not illegal, been known to myself, and unless it’s really bad (like the guy with the RPR I posted about previously), I won’t even remember it. I just don’t want to be seated next to them.

Also, much like smelling bad, there are multiple alternatives available in 2024 to most people who shoot, but every now and then, it can’t be helped.

The steel matches off the benches at Dead Zero allow brakes, so our little crew shoots together and tries not to put anyone next to a braked rifle. The worst are the guys that show up with their braked 7mm Mag “deer rifle” (they’re practicing for that 1,000 yard shot on a white tail they’re gonna get in middle TN😂). Nothing quite like trying to shoot with a trash can over your head while someone randomly hits it with an axe handle.

I’d guess PRS comps are different because usually no one is right next to you. Only ever shot one, and that was rimfire, so I may be totally wrong there.

BTW, I do recline my seat. It’s an 1-1/2”. And only the top 1/2 of the seat goes back (at least on a 737). Doesn’t bother me if someone reclines in front of me. Not real sure when this became such a societal issue.

1709225005009.png

1709225036911.png

So I was at an outdoor range today zeroing a new scope... I have a 7RM 26" heavy barrel with an APA Little Bastard brake on it. The people on either side of me got quite upset and some guy's wife said "WHAT IS THAT???" in that super bitchy tone of voice. They complained to the RSO and asked if I was allowed to do that. Normally, I do try to sit on either end of the firing line, but being the weekend, the range was pretty full and that wasn't an option.

I generally try to be courteous when possible, but that lady almost made me say what I was actually thinking.

At any rate, the RSO told her she probably needs better earplugs and moved the people on either side of me somewhere else.

Is there an etiquette to this? I was just sighting in a new scope for god's sake (and a few rounds for load development).
I'd say you were fine. I wear plugs and muffs at the range and I suggest that to everyone. The only time I got pissed at someone with a muzzle brake were when some tools purposely sat next to an elderly couple with a 50 cal. The gentleman was working on his rifle with his back turned to them and I could see what was about to happen so I went to warn him. Too late, the blast knocked off his hat and shook up his wife. I was five lanes away so I traded with the elderly couple. These guys had more money than brains and didn't know how to sight in their rifle. So I watched them as they couldn't figure out how to hit the 300 yard gong consistently. So I pulled out my iron sighted FAL and sat there nailing the 600 yard steel. After about ten minutes of giggling and saying "Open sights! Ping 600 yards, ping 600 yards!" they packed up and went home. Your situation wasn't anything like that. I'd say you were GTG and that couple needed to educated themselves and get better hearing protection.

I was recently at the range and shooting a rifle without a brake while the guys next to me wereshooting a 7 mag with brake, (father and son). Each shot almost blew my hat off. Not sayin anything, I was trying to time my shots while they were between shots. I switched rifles to one that had a brake (22 creed) and after a couple of rounds the Dad said some stuff to his son about how loud may rifle was and they packed up their gear and left the range. Under a tin roof even worse. Those guys directly behind the rifle were clueless to what they were doing to me, but offended when i shot a much less powerful rifle with brake..
Guess you should have switched rifles earlier.....lol

Man there are some really tough monkeys on this site! very scary indeed.
Well there are a lot of Karens out there. And I admit I'm not that tolerant of people anymore. Last week a guy came up to me while I was scanning the range for rats to shoot and said to me " did you find all of them?". He and his girlfriend were shooting High Power positions at 100 yards on the 800 yard range. They could of gone down two ranges and been all by themselves at a 200 yard range. But no they set up on the 100 yard range and wanted to call the range cold every 30 minutes or so to WALK downrange instead of driving down to put up new targets. They ate up a bunch of my shooting time. I took it as him being a bit of a wise ass so I said "Not yet." and went back to scanning. I let them go down range once he asked me if they could go set up targets. Maybe I could of been more diplomatic and educated them on using the 200 yard range. Kinda akin to old timers taking the time with me when I first started to learn how to fish. In my defense when i go shoot I'm pretty focused on shooting. I'm not there to screw around.

So I was at an outdoor range today zeroing a new scope... I have a 7RM 26" heavy barrel with an APA Little Bastard brake on it. The people on either side of me got quite upset and some guy's wife said "WHAT IS THAT???" in that super bitchy tone of voice. They complained to the RSO and asked if I was allowed to do that. Normally, I do try to sit on either end of the firing line, but being the weekend, the range was pretty full and that wasn't an option.

I generally try to be courteous when possible, but that lady almost made me say what I was actually thinking.

At any rate, the RSO told her she probably needs better earplugs and moved the people on either side of me somewhere else.

Is there an etiquette to this? I was just sighting in a new scope for god's sake (and a few rounds for load development).
Actually I had a very similar experience last year.

Went to the range with a 6.5CM, 24" barrel and the 3-ports HellFire brake. Next to me was one young woman that immediately left the firing line without saying a word after I made the first shots. A little while later, one old men with crappy earmuff whined next to me; didn't care and continued shooting.

The old gentlemen went after me in the range and said something like 'What you dumb fuck are you shooting, that's not possible'. I tried to stay calm, but yea I know these brakes are loud... I now have invested for a suppressor, I guess they won't complain anymore.

Well there are a lot of Karens out there. And I admit I'm not that tolerant of people anymore. Last week a guy came up to me while I was scanning the range for rats to shoot and said to me " did you find all of them?". He and his girlfriend were shooting High Power positions at 100 yards on the 800 yard range. They could of gone down two ranges and been all by themselves at a 200 yard range. But no they set up on the 100 yard range and wanted to call the range cold every 30 minutes or so to WALK downrange instead of driving down to put up new targets. They ate up a bunch of my shooting time. I took it as him being a bit of a wise ass so I said "Not yet." and went back to scanning. I let them go down range once he asked me if they could go set up targets. Maybe I could of been more diplomatic and educated them on using the 200 yard range. Kinda akin to old timers taking the time with me when I first started to learn how to fish. In my defense when i go shoot I'm pretty focused on shooting. I'm not there to screw around.
They probably weren't even aware of their transgression to be honest. I'm sure you've been around long enough to notice that certain people are just oblivious to certain things. If they were trying to be dicks, I'd snub them the same as you did with a quickness.

If they were just ignorant to the etiquette of where they were, I'd have gone with your fishing analogy and politely educated them. Maybe some day that guy/gal will get hooked and become an ELR or PRS shooter for a lifetime of enjoyment.

Who knows?

Reactions: lash and xsn10s
Actually I had a very similar experience last year.

Went to the range with a 6.5CM, 24" barrel and the 3-ports HellFire brake. Next to me was one young woman that immediately left the firing line without saying a word after I made the first shots. A little while later, one old men with crappy earmuff whined next to me; didn't care and continued shooting.

The old gentlemen went after me in the range and said something like 'What you dumb fuck are you shooting, that's not possible'. I tried to stay calm, but yea I know these brakes are loud... I now have invested for a suppressor, I guess they won't complain anymore.
I will not run a suppressor. Not going to happen. I'll try to accommodate others to the best of my ability while at the range, but I'm not going to make my rifle an extra 7-9" long with an already long barrel.

After many great suggestions and responses in this thread, I bring extra ear protection for others and tell shooters next to me that I'm operating a brake. I am in the process of trying a new one that is more friendly to others and allegedly does a great job with recoil and barrel jump. It's coming today and I'm testing it Sunday.

If it doesn't operate reasonably close to my current brake with recoil and barrel jump, I won't be using it and will sell it.

Reactions: lash and DubfromGA
They probably weren't even aware of their transgression to be honest. I'm sure you've been around long enough to notice that certain people are just oblivious to certain things. If they were trying to be dicks, I'd snub them the same as you did with a quickness.

If they were just ignorant to the etiquette of where they were, I'd have gone with your fishing analogy and politely educated them. Maybe some day that guy/gal will get hooked and become an ELR or PRS shooter for a lifetime of enjoyment.

Who knows?
That's part of the problem when you get to my age. Things that were common etiquette while I was growing up are no longer common or fashionable. Which irks me to no end. I have issue with some High Power shooter also. They come to the range with their jackets, spotting scopes, shooting mats, range bags, ete and they can't hurry up to change their targets? Do you really need all that to shoot 100 yards? I guess it goes back to when I competed. You didn't go down range to BS and look at your targets. Get down there and pull the targets, get your partner to help put up targets, and get back to the firing line. Thoughts from a grumpy old man lol. I guess I could be more diplomatic. Tomorrow is another day to try and improve on my performance.

That's part of the problem when you get to my age. Things that were common etiquette while I was growing up are no longer common or fashionable. Which irks me to no end. I have issue with some High Power shooter also. They come to the range with their jackets, spotting scopes, shooting mats, range bags, ete and they can't hurry up to change their targets? Do you really need all that to shoot 100 yards? I guess it goes back to when I competed. You didn't go down range to BS and look at your targets. Get down there and pull the targets, get your partner to help put up targets, and get back to the firing line. Thoughts from a grumpy old man lol. I guess I could be more diplomatic. Tomorrow is another day to try and improve on my performance.
You are speaking to a fellow grumpy old man sir. My tolerance for nonsense and bullshit is definitely way below the waterline. But I am working on it.

When I show up to the range, I possess very few things. My rifle in a bag, a box containing my ammo, targets, a roll of tape and hearing protection. My spotting scope is the one that's on my rifle. I do have a Garmin Xero chronograph which fits in the above mentioned box and plops down next to my rifle on the ground or the bench if I'm doing load development. That's it. I'm set up in 5 minutes or less.

A lot of shooters are gadget people. If they sell it somewhere, they'll but it. I am not one of those people. I am older and I don't need any of that shit. LOL

I showed up to the Sporting Clay area of my range one day with a CZ side by side coach gun with external hammers you have to cock back. The people there were in golf carts, wearing shooting vests with a leather shoulder patch, aprons, and differentially choked shotguns that cost God knows what and all kinds of other shit. You can imagine the looks I got and how well I fit in there.

The point is, I was having a ball and hitting the vast majority of those birds with a Beverly Hillbillies granny gun and a few boxes of shells.
I wasn't there to compete. LOL

You are speaking to a fellow grumpy old man sir. My tolerance for nonsense and bullshit is definitely way below the waterline. But I am working on it.

When I show up to the range, I possess very few things. My rifle in a bag, a box containing my ammo, targets, a roll of tape and hearing protection. My spotting scope is the one that's on my rifle. I do have a Garmin Xero chronograph which fits in the above mentioned box and plops down next to my rifle on the ground or the bench if I'm doing load development. That's it. I'm set up in 5 minutes or less.

A lot of shooters are gadget people. If they sell it somewhere, they'll but it. I am not one of those people. I am older and I don't need any of that shit. LOL

I showed up to the Sporting Clay area of my range one day with a CZ side by side coach gun with external hammers you have to cock back. The people there were in golf carts, wearing shooting vests with a leather shoulder patch, aprons, and differentially choked shotguns that cost God knows what and all kinds of other shit. You can imagine the looks I got and how well I fit in there.

The point is, I was having a ball and hitting the vast majority of those birds with a Beverly Hillbillies granny gun and a few boxes of shells.
I wasn't there to compete. LOL
I guess my point is does the equipment help make you better? Or are you just being a poser. It's fine if people want to have all the gadgets. That's their business and what they do on their time is their business. But the range is for everyone, so when you waste time down range that's my time. And if you can't deal with the noise then find the equipment needed to be able to handle it. My days at the range will be limited now. Hunting season will be over in a few days and the coyotes will be in my reticle. I spotted two at 1420 yards this past weekend. But the Garmin gave me false readings on velocity so I held off on taking any shots at them. About the only time I'll spend at the range from here on out will be on pistol competitions if I decide to do that again. A whole new topic to bitch about.

Last edited:
About the only time I'll spend at the range from here on out will be on pistol competitions if I decide to do that again. A whole new topic to bitch about.
I'd love to hear all your bitching

I'd love to hear all your bitching
Well first off all the people thinking that pistol competitions are "tactical" or real life. Not much of either in them. And that's coming from having won the Western Regional Championships IDPA. At least IDPA has some realism. Like shooting on the move and use of cover/ concealment. The others not so much. That's why the likes of Jeff Cooper pretty much distanced themselves from it.

We also have our share of High Power shooters here with their shinny vests. They make fun of me because I shot 'field-type' with/without tripod, barricade, bags you name it. They spend their time whining about:
- Noise level
- Wind
- Sun Glare
- Bad shooting mat
- High capacity magazines (for them it's when it exceed 5 rds).
- Bipods (only cuck uses bipod to them)
- Shadow on targets
- Wind (I already said Wind) ?
- Smell from other shooter
- Lack of soap at the cantina

I guess my point is does the equipment help make you better? Or are you just being a poser. It's fine if people want to have all the gadgets. That's their business and what they do on their time is their business. But the range is for everyone, so when you waste time down range that's my time. And if you can't deal with the noise then fine the equipment needed to be able to handle it. My days at the range will be limited now. Hunting season will be over in a few days and the coyotes will be in my reticle. I spotted two at 1420 yards this past weekend. But the Garmin gave me false readings on velocity so I held off on taking any shots at them. About the only time I'll spend at the range from here on out will be on pistol competitions if I decide to do that again. A whole new topic to bitch about.
I hear ya brother. In less than a year, my ass will be back in Kentucky. My property will be my gun range and the only other people there will be my friends.

We also have our share of High Power shooters here with their shinny vests. They make fun of me because I shot 'field-type' with/without tripod, barricade, bags you name it. They spend their time whining about:
- Noise level
- Wind
- Sun Glare
- Bad shooting mat
- Shadow on targets
We must be uncivilized.

Reactions: Grim's Reapers
- Noise level
- Wind
- Sun Glare
- Bad shooting mat
- Shadow on targets
I think a lot of us who laugh at that nonsense probably honed our skills while growing up. Out in the woods, shooting tin cans, hunting, etc... We shot what we had and made it work. When we were able to afford something better later on in life, we treasured it. But the core skills we developed from necessity are still valid and worth way more than a bunch of fancy kit.

Well first off all the people thinking that pistol competitions are "tactical" or real life. Not much of either in them. And that's coming from having won the Western Regional Championships IDPA. At least IDPA has some realism. Like shooting on the move and use of cover/ concealment. The others not so much. That's why the likes of Jeff Cooper pretty much distanced themselves from it.

LOL if you think IDPA has any similarity to real life LOLOLOLOLOL. The use of "cover" in IDPA is retarded. I'm no door kicker but what little I know about using cover comes from people who do and did it for a living.

As far as shooting on the move.....bitch please. IDPA is the absolute worse for that.

LOL if you think IDPA has any similarity to real life LOLOLOLOLOL. The use of "cover" in IDPA is retarded. I'm no door kicker but what little I know about using cover comes from people who do and did it for a living.

As far as shooting on the move.....bitch please. IDPA is the absolute worse for that.
Well I did it for a living in the Army and trained LE after that. I saw one of your videos shooting a stage. You best stay a keyboard warrior.

This thread reminds me that I need to install that T6 brake on my .408
Get your game up son. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: lash
He's never see it coming with the glare from those clown shoes.

Yep.

When I first saw the video.....the shoes made me wonder if he was trolling for dick.

Then I noticed how quick he drilled that target and said fuck it....anyone that can shoot 'em up that fast can wear the rainbow shoes and get a pass. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
So my ATS muzzle brake arrived. It's huge compared to my APA Little Bastard.
Hopefully it is significantly less concussive to other shooters as the manufacturer claims and offers at least comparable recoil reduction to my APA.

I can already tell you that people are going to think I'm a jerk running an obnoxious brake because of the way it looks "brake bias". LOL
I'll let you all know the results if I can get out to the range today.
APA-ATS.jpg

Hopefully it is significantly less concussive to other shooters as the manufacturer claims and offers at least comparable recoil reduction to my APA.

I can already tell you that people are going to think I'm a jerk running an obnoxious brake because of the way it looks "brake bias". LOL
I'll let you all know the results if I can get out to the range today.View attachment 8362639
What load are you running with your rifle? How much does your set up weigh? My 7mm RM is on the heavy side, 700 ADL in a KRG. I'm shooting a 180 gr ELDM at 2800 fps until the barrel breaks in.

What load are you running with your rifle? How much does your set up weigh? My 7mm RM is on the heavy side, 700 ADL in a KRG. I'm shooting a 180 gr ELDM at 2800 fps until the barrel breaks in.
I'm running 69 grains of H1000 with the 180 gr ELDM as well. It's at 2900 fps out of my 26" Douglas barrel. My rig is heavy at 16.2 pounds, but it's an ELR shooter and I don't take it hunting.

I'm running 69 grains of H1000 with the 180 gr ELDM as well. It's at 2900 fps out of my 26" Douglas barrel. My rig is heavy at 16.2 pounds, but it's an ELR shooter and I don't take it hunting.
I'm running 63.5 gr RL22 for the first 50 rounds, 32 rounds down the barrel so far. That load is sub 0.5" at 100 yards. New Remarms in KRG Bravo around 10 lbs. That'll be my LR elk rifle. I've taken it out to 800 yards steel. Now that elk season is over I'll try it on LR coyotes. So far seems super accurate and consistent. You're lucky to have some H1000. I'll be out of RL22 and will try some Staball HD next.

I'm running 63.5 gr RL22 for the first 50 rounds, 32 rounds down the barrel so far. That load is sub 0.5" at 100 yards. New Remarms in KRG Bravo around 10 lbs. That'll be my LR elk rifle. I've taken it out to 800 yards steel. Now that elk season is over I'll try it on LR coyotes. So far seems super accurate and consistent. You're lucky to have some H1000. I'll be out of RL22 and will try some Staball HD next.
Man that 7RM of yours would do a number on a coyote. LOL

Not for several years now. Too many lawyer/gamer types got involved.

I'll let you all know the results if I can get out to the range today.View attachment 8362639
Well Grim`s, LOL, with a monstrosity like that thing on the end of your barrel, you may find it difficult to actually test it insofar as its concussion/noise mitigation capabilities are concerned because the range will have cleared out at the mere sight of it! .....I`m kidding ( but only a little! ). To be honest, I`d certainly be giving you a wide berth!

Well Grim`s, LOL, with a monstrosity like that thing on the end of your barrel, you may find it difficult to actually test it insofar as its concussion/noise mitigation capabilities are concerned because the range will have cleared out at the mere sight of it! .....I`m kidding ( but only a little! ). To be honest, I`d certainly be giving you a wide berth!
Yup see that would of been the polite thing to do. Or taken turns shooting. Or just dealt with it because it's a shooting range and loud noises happen there. I'm going to snag some extra foam plugs from work. I'd gladly give them to someone if it makes their shooting experience better.

• Haha
I try really hard not to pre-draw conclusions about things. But when I opened the box from ATS, I immediately thought there is NO WAY this monstrosity is going to be a friendly brake to others. The damned thing is huge with the ports pointed right at a shooter next to me from what I can tell from monkey fingering it.

I'll give it a chance, but man I can't help but be skeptical. I truly hope it does what they say it does so I'm not pounding others. But I can already tell that people will perceive it as louder because of how it looks. Our brains have a remarkable capacity to do that.

Admittedly, I am already doing the same damned thing myself. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: lash and DubfromGA
Pro soccer players that head the ball often seem to have measurable cognitive decline vs. the general population as well as more brain problems later in life.

“Astronauts during rocket launch may experience a few g’s of acceleration,” said Lyndia Wu, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at the University of British Columbia who led the study. “A car traveling at 35 mph running into a wall could experience about 30g of acceleration.”​
In Wu’s study, heading often resulted in impacts of 22g or more, with some of the impacts surpassing 30g.​
Heading also led to high rotational velocity or forces whipping the head sideways, she and her colleagues found.​

This is totally not surprising to me as I played soccer when I was young. I always thought heading the ball was the epitome of idiocy. I’d do it and see some stars and my brain hurt.

I can’t even imagine sticking my head in front of a 65-80 mph ball coming off a male pro soccer player’s foot. And 131 mph is the fastest in a recorded match! (Ronny Heberson of Brazil’s Sport Club do Recife in 2006)

Heading is fricking stooooopid.

Coincidentally… my left ear problem started while I was shooting a very hard kicking gun with no recoil pad.
Not sure if it stuck but several years ago many youth leagues were outlawing heading the ball for that reason.

Eager to read your review on the comparison of these two.

I'd say you were fine. I wear plugs and muffs at the range and I suggest that to everyone. The only time I got pissed at someone with a muzzle brake were when some tools purposely sat next to an elderly couple with a 50 cal. The gentleman was working on his rifle with his back turned to them and I could see what was about to happen so I went to warn him. Too late, the blast knocked off his hat and shook up his wife. I was five lanes away so I traded with the elderly couple. These guys had more money than brains and didn't know how to sight in their rifle. So I watched them as they couldn't figure out how to hit the 300 yard gong consistently. So I pulled out my iron sighted FAL and sat there nailing the 600 yard steel. After about ten minutes of giggling and saying "Open sights! Ping 600 yards, ping 600 yards!" they packed up and went home. Your situation wasn't anything like that. I'd say you were GTG and that couple needed to educated themselves and get better hearing protection.
FAL-600 yards-open sights = gong the size of a school bus lol

SASS trial rifles were 1.5-2 moa

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
FAL-600 yards-open sights = gong the size of a school bus lol

SASS trial rifles were 1.5-2 moa
Mine shot as good as my Armalite AR10, about 3/4 moa with my 168gr SMK handloads. The gong wasn't that big maybe 2-3 moa, you couldn't drive up to it at that time. Mine is an Imbel receiver built with a STG-58 kit that I picked out from hundreds of kits at Federal Ordinance. They gave me free reign to go through kits back then. That was 30 plus years ago now.