• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzle Brakes

Bonestorm

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
Madison, WI
Is there such a thing as a no gunsmith required muzzle brake? If there is I seem to be having a problem finding it...

The barrel is already threaded so that shouldn't be an issue.

Re: Muzzle Brakes

careful......some barrels although threaded CAN be not plumb...consult a professional

and complete you fuckin profile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonestorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just looked on badger's site and they say that it "Must be fit by a competent gunsmith" </div></div>
Because they don't want the liability of some dumb nut messing up and going after them for it.
If you have to ask this question then you should hire someone else to do it.

So you're telling me that Remington is going to thread a factory barrel and not have it aligned with the bore?

Seems like they are just asking for trouble with that thought process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonestorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're telling me that Remington is going to thread a factory barrel and not have it aligned with the bore?

Seems like they are just asking for trouble with that thought process.</div></div>

dude take my fuckin lead here....all things are possible, and there are those that have the institutional memory HERE that got some real horror stories....to include chopsawed actions and out-of-round chamber jobs,,,,,just to mention a few....

so have you ever been around a rifle that has blown the fuck up or sent a suppressor down range or.....just plane-ole never made paper???

so.... shut the fuck up and listen to what some here tell you of their own personal first hand experience

and complete your profile, your beginning to piss me off

Primary weapons systems in boise Id. has a PRC brake in 5/8x24 that comes with a shim set.

@BOLTRIPPER please refer to http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2733988#Post2733988

Not really sure what your problem is, just asking a simple question that I searched for and couldn't find an answer.

As for my profile, it is as complete as it is going to get. I'm not really sure why it's required for you to look at my profile.

Now as for the information pertaining to my question. I am taking everyone's response into consideration. I really would prefer not to have the rifle have a misfire while I or anyone else is operating it. That is why I am trying to figure out why a manufacturer would thread a barrel from the factory if gunsmithing is still required.

I believe this is a reasonable question and if you feel otherwise just keep it to yourself.

I'm no expert when it comes to muzzle brakes as i dont have any rifles with them equipped but you may find that some types of screw on brakes need to be "timed" so that the openings are in the correct position to have maximum effect.

Yeah it seems like that is the case with the primary weapon systems PRC but it comes with the shims to correct the orientation. In the reviews on the site there is someone with the same rifle and it sounds like he installed it himself... It looks like a really good option so far.

If I do wind up getting one and doing a self install, what would be the correct way to verify that the brake is aligned with the bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh......ok sorry did not know you had sand in your vagina </div></div>

Where's the popcorn emoticon when you need it?

shouldn't this thread be in the gunsmithing section? bonestorm, might get more constructive feedback if you moved this thread there.

I do a lot of work on my rifles but for something like that it would definitely go to the smith. For what he would charge for that (not much) at least I'd know the bullet would clear the holes instead of me shooting it to find out. Just my opinion.

Yeah I guess the problem that I'm having really is that there are not very many gunsmiths (or at least highly rated gunsmiths) around here. Unless someone would recommend Gander Mountain... I'm sure their prices are through the roof though.

Edit: This probably should have gone in the gunsmithing section, I honestly didn't think of it. Hindsight being 20-20.

What BoltRipper is trying to tell you in his own dysfunctional way is that shit can be out of spec from the factory (factory threads), I have dealt with lots of out of spec machined parts and was USUALLY able to catch them at installation. Your odds of getting factory threads so far out of spec to cause a baffle strike on a brake are pretty slim but if you do get that one the consequences can be painful and or expensive. My brother showed up at a local range just in time to hear a cry for help and found a guy that had an equipment malfunction, he almost bled out in my brothers cruiser on the way to the hospital. My point is that shit probably won't go wrong but if it does it can go seriously wrong and paying a reputable smith to single point cut your threads is way cheaper than your copay at the ER.

As for your profile, if you want to sell something then fill it out otherwise the profile nazi can pound sand.

And don't tell me that I typed all of this so you can put a brake on a 260 or 308... If so MTFU and learn some recoil management technique (SH Online Training).

This isn't even funny. Sandy Vagina Syndrome is an epidemic here. Just the other day, my friend came down with it. I'm pretty sure he was on his period too, so I had no choice but to force feed him some vodka and cranberry juice. Luckily, he pulled through after taking a light nap while wrapped around my toilet.

On muzzle brake alignment, google fu turned up this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=410586

If you can determine the center of the bore and of the brake and they're aligned, then you're good. But, it'd probably be best to have a gunsmith check it and test it out. It'd be cheaper than a medical bill or the tools needed.

I just screwed mine on and shot it. Best thing about that break is it blasts anyone near u lol my buddy hates it and yes it's on a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger FTE. </div></div>

This

As has been said mate, if you have to ask the question, you probably need someone to do it for you.

Remember, someone might say that it was a simple 'home install', however alot of people on the hide have some fairly sophisticated gear in their back shed, and a ton of experience. Hence, their ability to install and check the brake themselves is probably alot greater than yours or mine.

I'd suggest having a smith fit it, lest you want it to accidentally fly downrange.

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's.

Buy a piece of 1/4" aluminum or steel rod.

Roll it around on a flat surface to make sure it's straight.

Screw your brake onto your muzzle.

Insert purchased rod into the muzzle brake/barrell with the bulk of the rod in the barrell of the rifle. Leave a couple of inches extending from the face of the muzzle.

Somehow rotate the rifle about the axis of the barrell.

Verify that the rod does not touch the inside surfaces of the brake in any position.

Also verify that the surface of the rod is, for the most part, equi-distant from the inside diameter of the muzzle brake as you rotate it.

If you have clearance in all phases of this examination, you're good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonestorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're telling me that Remington is going to thread a factory barrel and not have it aligned with the bore?

Seems like they are just asking for trouble with that thought process. </div></div>

Remington hoses up the drill and tapping on base screw holes on the receiver, and when sent back for repair, hosed it worse than the first time. This is not the first time this has happened nor was I the only one during this time - MANY exact same reports.

I wouldn't trust any threading on a factory rifle, especially for a brake or suppressor. Have a competent gunsmith verify and/or recut the threads and crown and time the brake for you.

The FTE brake is good. However, a gunsmith is required because they come with a bore of 6mm, and will need to be bored out for any larger caliber, as well as the barrel being turned down slightly.

The R&D brake is also good, but doesn't need extra meat turned off of the barrel, and has a tensioning screw so timing isn't quite as critical, alignment always is.

My latest tests are with the Muscle Brake. It seems to be the most effective for me to date. You can order them from Benchmark Barrels.

All of these brakes need to be installed by a competent gunsmith, this is not something that is worth the risk of being a tight ass with your time, money or health.