• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

muzzle break for a 308 gas, how efficent?

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
How much reduction in recoil would be gained from a break on a .308 gas gun. Mine is 16in. I have breaks on bigger stuff. There really isnt that much recoil but there is alot of bounce. Hard to spot impacts. A can is out of my pay grade for now. Would it be of any benifit to install one. I am already threaded. It really isnt a question of pain or discomfort. Just want to be able to run it faster. Does anyone have a before and after story?
Thanks,
T

Re: muzzle break for a 308 gas, how efficent?

For recoil reduction, you don't want a brake. You need a compensator. Take a look at this one; Primary Weapons Systems FSC30. I put one on my own .308 and it worked wonders!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdX5I2e6L7Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdX5I2e6L7Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I just had a Miculek installed, as well as a 20" Krieger barrel in one of my .308's. I had never shot a rifle with a compensator and I will tell you it was a significant difference! There is no way to gauge this other than "feel", but the recoil was just slightly more than my 16" .223.... I shot my DPMS 16" without a comp afterwords and was shocked!
Now the other thing everyone says is that they are loud... listen to everybody!! It is very loud! It's hard to explain but maybe the percussion is more as well... I cant explain it well but be prepared!

Edited to add this: I have only shot the compensator once, but I truly believe follow up shots could be faster if that is what you are wanting. I was not trying rapid follow up shots but I was back on target immediately.

I've heard of BABC but the price is stupid expensive when there are others that are less than half the price which will probably work every bit as good, if not better.

I have an FSC30 coming for my new rifle, I should have it all together by saturday *fingers crossed*

It will be 16" 308 so I am guessing LOUD...

Yeah, it's certainly louder than anything I've used and it's pretty intimidating for those around you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There really isnt that much recoil but there is alot of bounce. Hard to spot impacts. </div></div>

Not picking on you, but a technique improvement is a lot cheaper than a compensator.

I ran my AR10 with no comp while I was waiting for the proper shim kit to come in. No problem with any bounce when proper technique is employed. In all truth I do run a brake on it, but it's because that rifle's sole purpose in life is to go to competitions where I know I will be shooting from funky positions (thus harder to run a bolt) where I can't use correct body positioning.

I went from an Smith Vortex to a PWS FSC30 on my LMT MWS and it did make a difference. It is not as light as my 5.56's, it feels like a quicker but softer recoil. The blast can be felt in your face, slightly, the noise to the side is greater.

I really do like the PWS and recommend you get one. I do not think it will get the .308 to a .223/5.56 though.

This rifles sole purpose was purchased to shoot comps as well. Hence the want for less bounce in funky positions where proper technique sometime is awkward to achieve. On a square range this is less of a problem. Load development is done, so this rifle is not really shooting any groups. My question was more to the physics involved of the actual reduction in recoil achieved by adding a break. Some setups are more condusive to recoil reduction as they are higher pressures, over bore ect. The 308 is about as balanced as you get for powder vs the actual bore that it comes out of. The read is that the % of reduction my not be as great and pronounced in certain calber/setups as others. I was specifically looking for someone who has a 16 barreled gas gun in .308 that added a break after the fact to see what there thoughts were/are before I dropped the money. I probably do lack technique to really be much of a shooter but maybe this would help the situation a little. Or maybe not?
T

I ran the PWS on a 6.8 and the guys behind me had to watch out! Not bad for the shooter, tho. But about your bounce issue, perhaps a device with holes on top like the PRI QC...if you don't want to pay over $200 for the BABC. Cheers--

have run breaks on a lot of different rifles. I ran a JP recoil eliminator on a 300 win mag 700 remington sendero and could watch mt hits thru the scope at 200. It was the most effective brake I have ever used but it was brutally loud and obnoxious to be around.

I have run many mickulecks on ar15s with good results. It will flatten and soften the recoil impulse allowing you to do doubles and tripples on relatively close targets with one sight picture. I also run one on a 20" nm an am able to see my hits thru my scope very easily and get super fast follow up shots even at longer ranges (600+). Being able to spot your splash at longger ranges is a huge advantage that allows you to correct and get a hit quickly if you miss.

The Mickulecks are also loud. my friends sometimes throw things at me over the noise.

I am also running a surefire MB762SSAL/RE on an 18" larue obr and have been having good luck with it. You can see your hits if you are doing your job on the rifle and the concussion is less than im used to when behind the rifle.

Hope some of that helps.

Rusty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it's certainly louder than anything I've used and it's pretty intimidating for those around you. </div></div>

Subliminal effect of Muzzle breaks: They help your shooting (score) by blowing leaves, grass and debris on shooters near you, while the blast leaves them cross-eye when it is their turn to shoot. Can you tell I don't have (or like) muzzle breaks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it's certainly louder than anything I've used and it's pretty intimidating for those around you. </div></div>

Subliminal effect of Muzzle breaks: They help your shooting (score) by blowing leaves, grass and debris on shooters near you, while the blast leaves them cross-eye when it is their turn to shoot. Can you tell I don't have (or like) muzzle breaks.</div></div>

Good for you! Do you have anything worth mentioning to add to this topic, or did you merely post to say "I don't have (or like) muzzle brakes"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it's certainly louder than anything I've used and it's pretty intimidating for those around you. </div></div>

Subliminal effect of Muzzle breaks: They help your shooting (score) by blowing leaves, grass and debris on shooters near you, while the blast leaves them cross-eye when it is their turn to shoot. Can you tell I don't have (or like) muzzle breaks.</div></div>

Good for you! Do you have anything worth mentioning to add to this topic, or did you merely post to say "I don't have (or like) muzzle brakes"?</div></div>

Jerry has valid points which should be brought up and thought about before adding a brake. They are loud and blow shit every where and you will not have many friends after shooting next to people. I hate shooting next to people with brakes at matches.

Rob01,

I can understand that without a doubt. I don't shoot matches and therefore I'm not at risk of losing any friends. LoL I can certainly attest to the fact that they are loud and depending on the brand/model, they can kick up quite a shot storm of dirt and debris.

Jerry,

Please accept my apology if I came across as being an asshole. It truly wasntmy intent.

My Surefire braked 16" LMT MWS isn't going to make me any friends this weekend...between the blast, sound, and hot brass flying nobody will be safe within 15' of me.

that being said...recoil is minimal and follow up shots are much faster.

Respectfully,

--KJ