• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle break noise level

Natator

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Australia
I'm awaiting delivery of my Savage 10 FCP-K .308

This is the first rifle I have owned with a muzzle break. I know that the muzzle break increases the "perceived noise" to the shooter.

My question though is ....

Does it increase the noise overall, or more specifically in front of the rifle? Or is there in effect the same amount of noise, redirected backward, so there may even be less in front?

The reason I am interested in knowing is that I'll be using the rifle for hunting, so don't really want a massive BANG! out front.

Cheers
smile.gif

Re: Muzzle break noise level

A muzzle brake does not increase noise, it simply redirects the muzzle blast in a way that offsets the recoil impulse. The redirected gas is often vented to the sides and sometime rearward towards the shooter or his buddies so the perceived noise is much louder.

In the following photo you can see muzzle blast diverted between the symmetric left and right ports.

BigMuzzleBrake.jpg

The blast (noise) wave propagates from each baffle port as if the weapon is discharging 90 degrees from the projo line of travel -- making it <span style="font-style: italic">seem</span> louder.

The second photo shows a weapon without a brake showing un-braked blast propagation:

NoIdea.jpg

More in the 1996 edition of Brassey's Essential Guide to Military Small Arms

For your purposes the difference is probably going to be negligible. Any shot is going to be heard downrange. If you are concerned about your "signature" so to speak you should be looking at suppressors, not brakes. But I would still say that any suppressed rifle of a hunting caliber is going to spook any game in the area.

That's what I thought, thanks guys
smile.gif
Great pics as well sinister.

Unfortunately, here in Australia we aren't allowed suppressors (semi-auto, auto ... etc etc etc).