• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Device for hunting .308/7.62 AR. Brake too loud.

wareagle700

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
I have a Badger Ordnance Micro FTE currently and have been very pleased with its performance. However, its loud. I can't imagine touching one off without ear pro.
I hunt with this rifle and would like to try a different type of attachment (other than a thread protector) that will not enhance noise to the shooter. I always try and wear ear pro but sometimes you don't have tome to fumble with it on quick shots. What is out there that isn't too loud? Would a AAC Blackout add excess noise compared to a standard crown?

Thanks.

Knurled thread protector and something like this that you can wear around your neck and quickly put in your ears...

Moldex-Jazz-Band-Banded-Ear-Plugs-10-Pack-6506.jpeg

I have never seen anybody out hunting wearing ear plugs or muffs. It's one shot, but I have heard & seen it turn in a war zone..........

Maybe one of those Flaming Pigs? I can never remember how to spell it, Noveske? I've heard that golf ball launchers do about the same for a lot cheaper, but can't say from direct experience.

Those electronic ear plugs ain't cheap, but neither are hearing aids. Electronic earmuffs are cheaper, but may interfere with your cheekweld.

Last edited:
Pretty much any and all muzzle brakes are going to be noisier than plain old flash hiders. Some brakes are quieter than others but they're all still loud. Ear pro when hunting...if yer hunting in a blind over a feeder this is probably possible. Other wise not.

I've never noticed a difference with one flash hider being noisier than another, so yes, pulling your brake off and putting on a flash hider is def going to cut noise and concussion. But I've never actually compared a rifle with an FH side by side to one with just a crowned barrel. It never made an impression on me either way though, whereas brakes are all goddamn loud and concussive.

The KX-3 (Noveske pig) defs cuts noise compared to all other muzzle devices, or rather it just re-directs it downrange. It's a bit quieter for the shooter than a regular flash hider. But it adds 7 ounces to the very end of yer rifle and you'll probably notice the handling difference. In the 5.56 it increases gas pressure a bit, not sure if it does that in 7.62 as well. If you're running a bolt gun this is not relevant.

A suppressor is the best choice except it adds a lot of weight to the muzzle, and length, and that's just if they're legal to use in your state for hunting (in TX, they are). My Thunderbeast weighs about a pound. It is very goddam noticeable. Plus the year wait.

Best option is any kind of flashhider over a brake, the KX-3 might be something to play with, it should be slightly quieter than just a plain muzzle, followed by suppressor.

I don't feel the need to prove my manliness by damaging my hearing.
Im not looking for sound suppressors or linear comps. I mainly want to know if flash suppressors like the Vortex, A2, and AAC Blackout are noticeably louder than a plain crown.

Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

Last edited:
why would you need a flash hider for hunting or anything in civi use, muzzle brakes are used to control recoil.

I see it was attached as an amendment to HB 60 and cleared the state Senate, but it still has to go through the House. Hopefully it will pass as I have been looking at leasing some land in S. Ga. to hunt.

Correction to my last post, I saw it was passed and headed to the gov. for his sig. Time to start looking for a lease in south ga. It would also be a good time to find a class 3 dealer close that can do e-file for class 3 for the OP. I believe the turn around time on e-file is around 3-4 months.

I remember an 18 year old shooting a hog with a 7-08 no ear pro gill break blew his left ear drum 1 shot.

Electronic muffs! A2 or less aggressive. A troy claymore projects away from you. No idea if that ones in 7.62

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable