• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle device recommendation for Grendel

Chaos_23

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Texas
Well, it's been a while since I started my AR build, and in the mean time I got married and had to put it on hold for a while. I finally got back on track and ordered the rest of the parts I needed to finish her up. The only thing I'm missing is a muzzle device.

I settled on 6.5 Grendel for the caliber and bought a Black Hole barrel. My barrel is threaded 5/8x24, and this will be primarily a hunting rifle. I'd eventually like to buy a suppressor but I don't know for sure which one or when that will be.

I'm looking for recommendations on a flash hider/comp to use on this rifle. Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Muzzle device recommendation for Grendel

The Primary Weapons PRC (Precision Rifle Compensator) will serve you well. It has very little ground signature, reduces recoil very well, and doesn't have a lot of muzzle flash.

Depending on what suppressor, maybe a flash hider/QD suppressor mount from yhm or aac or the like.

I recently switched to a thread protector on my Grendel. The noise from flash hiders and brakes was too much for hunting, and it doesn't really recoil that much.

If you're thinking of a suppressor in the future but are undecided now, maybe just a thread protector, with a QD or brake mount in the future once you decide on a can?

If you were interested in a SAS suppressor, their TOMB is very effective at recoil reduction. I have them on a 308 AR, a 5.56 AR, and a 260 bolt action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're thinking of a suppressor in the future but are undecided now, maybe just a thread protector, with a QD or brake mount in the future once you decide on a can? </div></div>

I had been considering this as probably the most logical plan of action, but you know how it gets when you start ordering goodies! But it is sound advice, and that's what I went with for now. All I have to do now is wait and assemble!

Based on my experiences with muzzle devices I have tried both sides of the spectrum.

I once had a gun with the JP recoil eliminator (panzer style brake) and let me tell ya, it only takes once to fire it without remembering to put in your ear plugs to cure you of that style.

Then I fooled with some of the intermediaries, vortex , PWS, others. These were good but at times when I am shooting in a line (range or hunt and stalk) the person next to you is getting their bell rung pretty good. Also after a few hundred rounds in a session I start to get a headache as well.

I am now into the foward blast style muzzle brakes and I have got to say, I am impressed all the way around.

Here is an upper I recently put together with the Noveske KX3 in 5/8 x 24.

Its great, the guys on the line don't suffer from the side blast and I can put a ton of rounds down range with no fatigue (audible).

I would recommend this style.

DSC_1084Custom.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

Thx,

BB

I'm in the same boat, building a Grendel and undecided about muzzle device. Iowa doesn't allow suppressors but I think if I plan ahead hoping the law changes, I will go with a thread protector for now. I can always decide later.

I have a PWS on my 20 incher and it works great but is obnoxious to the poor bastards next to me, sucks to be them.

Take a look at the Black River tactical linear brake, its 6.5 with the 5/8-24 thread pattern, been using one for a couple of years, works for me.

MJH, that looks interesting, but it doesn't look like they sell it on their website. Any idea where I could buy one?

Chaos, pretty sure I bought mine from AR15performance, but give Black River a call and ask them, looks like they are selling their other products. Also the price isn't bad and you can see on the videos how decently it works.

Ok thanks. And just to clarify, is there a specific 6.5mm one or does the 6.8 do double duty?

6.8 does double duty, in fact I have used a 308 brake on a 243 barrel with no negative effects on accuracy.

BB

Chaos, I would have to check the receipt, pretty sure it was billed 6.5, but as mentioned above 6.8 will work just as well. Call the guys and ask, by the way I ended up picking the BRT because their wasn't that many options for 5/8-24 threads, it was a BHW barrel that it went on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on my experiences with muzzle devices I have tried both sides of the spectrum.

I once had a gun with the JP recoil eliminator (panzer style brake) and let me tell ya, it only takes once to fire it without remembering to put in your ear plugs to cure you of that style.

Then I fooled with some of the intermediaries, vortex , PWS, others. These were good but at times when I am shooting in a line (range or hunt and stalk) the person next to you is getting their bell rung pretty good. Also after a few hundred rounds in a session I start to get a headache as well.

I am now into the foward blast style muzzle brakes and I have got to say, I am impressed all the way around.

Here is an upper I recently put together with the Noveske KX3 in 5/8 x 24.

Its great, the guys on the line don't suffer from the side blast and I can put a ton of rounds down range with no fatigue (audible).

I would recommend this style.

DSC_1084Custom.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

Thx,

BB </div></div>

Trying to understand how this funtions as a "brake"...
I looked on Noveske's site, they classify at is a flash hider, and that's what it looks like to me...

In order to function as a true brake, not a compensator, not a flash hider, it has to re-direct the combustion gases to the side/rear to offset recoil forces. This does not do that...

But the OP said he was looking for a flash hider, and not a brake, so this sure fits the bill.

Am I missing something here?

I dunno, I cant explain the design of it.

All I can say is that it works in directing the sound where i want it AND for reasons I cant explain it seems to keep the muzzle from flipping up as with an A2 style device.

BB

I had Dark metal design make one for me in 6.5 Grendel...I love it.

$(KGrHqMOKpgE4k0NkP-4BOOw)OSgcQ~~0_3.JPG