• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle jump - need help

.68Cal

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2012
Hallo,

i'm a proud owner of an Remington LTR for 4 month now, it's my first Rifle, but i have a muzzle jump problem while shooting from bench. Today i was testing my reloaded ammo, but sometimes i have muzzle jumps to the left and way off target. Do you have any idea what i do wrong or what i can do against it?

My setup:
Remington LTR
Mark 4 10x40 M1
Harris HBRMS
Rear Bag

This is one of my groups today at 109 yards and you can see the flyer that happened while i had one of these monster jumps.

168834_385795168135116_1201005675_n.jpg

Greetings from Germany,
Martin

Re: Muzzle jump - need help

Martin,

What caliber are you shooting? What you described is common and more pronounced with more powerful cartridges. If your barrel is threaded or you can get it threaded, try a muzzle brake. There are a lot of designs so I recommend doing some research. Any brake should help but there are some specifically made to counter the torque that throws the barrel to the left.

Viel Glück

Muzzle jumps up, that's because the center of resistance of your shoulder against the butt plate is below the centerline of the bore.

Left or right is determined by how squarely your shoulder weld is held against your shoulder.

If there is less resistance on the left side of the butt plate, then the rifle will naturally move to the left, and conversely to the right.

Draw some simple lines and vectors of force and you can pretty well figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Muzzle jumps up, that's because the center of resistance of your shoulder against the butt plate is below the centerline of the bore.

Left or right is determined by how squarely your shoulder weld is held against your shoulder.

If there is less resistance on the left side of the butt plate, then the rifle will naturally move to the left, and conversely to the right.

Draw some simple lines and vectors of force and you can pretty well figure it out.</div></div>

+1

This sounds like a body position issue. A rest eliminates the ability to determine a NPA (natural point of aim). The rifle jumps up naturally, but should return to the NPA. Try shooting off a bipod and rear bean bag. I find this is more comfortable than shooting off a bench and gives you practice in finding your NPA.
Best of Luck

Agreed - very helpful. I shot my rifle for the first time a few days ago and was noticing the exact same thing.

If you are behind the rifle properly you should be able to see your own impacts.
One thing to strive for is follow through that brings you back to the sight picture you had when the shot broke. NPA, alignment, proper pressure on the rifle all come into play.

Good question/comments.

I hear you on the lines and vectors but find it difficult to be completely relaxed behind the rifle (other advice I've seen given)and build a position out bone structure not muscle tension.

Maybe I do not understand how to correctly build a NPA.

mdesign,

If you really want to become a good shooter, you HAVE to accept the laws of physics and recoil. You have to accept that there is some degree of "discomfort" in the process of shooting.

You have to eliminate, in your mind, any effect of the shot after the trigger is pulled.

ALL OF YOUR CONCENTRATION IS TO BE ON SIGHT PICTURE, BREATHING, TRIGGER SQUEEZE, BREATHING, TRIGGER PULL, BREATHING, BREATHING, and follow through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question/comments.

I hear you on the lines and vectors but find it difficult to be completely relaxed behind the rifle (other advice I've seen given)and build a position out bone structure not muscle tension.

Maybe I do not understand how to correctly build a NPA.</div></div>

When you have good support you will be relaxed. I'd suspect you do not have good support. I'd also suspect you are steering the rifle to the target as you build the position. When on target it's difficult to adjust NPA, since it will require you to relax sight off of the target. Your brain does not want do do that.

First, build the position cognizant for the five factors of a steady position, but without consideration of the target. That's to say, do not look at the target as you shoulder the rifle and align the sights. Allow the rifle to point where ever it wants to point naturally, even if it seems this may be way off the target. Next, adjust NPA for the desired reticle/target relationship. Pull focus to reticle. Pull trigger smoothly and follow through with trigger remaining depressed until recoil has subsided. One more thing, when initially shouldering the rifle be sure to bring the stock to the head, which, no matter the position, should remain vertical and erect. Also, regardless of the sort of artificial support you are using, place the non firing hand on the forend and the elbow of the non firing hand as close to under the rifle as possible. Adjust NPA at belt buckle pivoting from the non firing hand elbow.

The responses are good, but I was helped a lot by loading the bipod too. Switching to an Atlas bipod was a good move on my part, lots of loading room and pretty eliminated muzzle jump for me. Along with a good muzzle brake
laugh.gif