• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzlebrake: Tikka,PVA,419 or APA

Hogg0494

Old hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Upstate new york
Just picked up a tikka tac a1 in 6.5. Came with a brake but was wondering if it was any good compared to the other options.looking at a PVA,hellfire 419 or little bastard.any input on the factory brake or the other 3 appreciated.gun will be shot a majority of time off a bench

I had that TAC A1 muzzle brake on my CTR.
It is not bad, but quite heavy, but it does bite the recoil well.
Peole are saying that the APA little b is very good, but i dont think that Area 419 brake is bad either, would love to test those brakes.
One good and not bad priced is MDT Elite brake, i have it, but i do not shoot much with the brake, got all ready some hearing problems.
Mostly i use suppressors, but a shooting session like PRS, brake is best.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
this is a couple years old but a nice comparison of various muzzle devices.

I have a couple of Little Bastards on 260’s (gen 1 and gen 2), and I wouldn’t change a thing. Great reduction in felt recoil and great customer service from APA. Everyone seems to have their favorite flavor, but you likely won’t go wrong with any of the brakes you listed.

I have a PVA Jet Blast on my Tikka T3 and it is by far my favorite muzzle brake. A friend of mine has a Tikka TAC and it is massive and heavy. He didn’t use it and just bought a PVA Jet Blast.

Lots of great choices. I'm another fan of the Area 419 Hellfire on my 6.5 CM. Super finish, easy to clean, easy to time.

VooDoo

Haven't owned a PVA, so I can't speak for that particular brake. I have however owned all the others, and IMO the Heathen is best overall.

I’ve owned the Gen2 APALB and the Area 419 brakes... both are awesome at what they’re made for?? Right now I have a Seekins ATC brake on my 6.5CM Tikka. While it doesn’t tame the recoil quite as much as the others, it still works great and fits the profile of my barrel better.

I switched from an APA Little Bastard to a 419 Hellfire and couldn't be happier. I could actually tell a small but noticable difference in muzzle climb with the Hellfire.

I like my APA, but I get the impression most of the available ones right now are solid.

67103843-57DF-42C1-B940-6D1265165C0D.gif

From a recoil reducing stand point, all the top end self-timing brakes do a very comparable job.

It's the other smaller functional details which separate the brakes, IMO.

I don’t shoot comps, so going from shooting mainly an unbraked 7RM in Arizona, to a braked 308 in Arkansas and Oklahoma, everything feels like magic now.

If I was shooting comps, it wouldn’t be a question, I’d buy one from each of the leading makers and test them myself.

Reactions: Tokay444
If self timing is what you want, 419. If you will go a different route Thunderbeast are extremely light weight. Small affordable and work extremely well.

I think one thing folks leave out is the consideration of running suppressed. The 419 will need an adapter for your suppressor. The LB will not. (just went through this dilemma)

Just got a Heathen with the interchangeable diameter inserts, but haven't shot it yet. So far, it looks quite good. Trigger time will tell...

I think one thing folks leave out is the consideration of running suppressed. The 419 will need an adapter for your suppressor. The LB will not. (just went through this dilemma)

Just got a Heathen with the interchangeable diameter inserts, but haven't shot it yet. So far, it looks quite good. Trigger time will tell...

Lol
I just put on a Heathen last night
I’ll try it out today.

I have and use
Fat bastard
Lil bastard
Hellfire

All work great, I will say people on the sides of wont like the bastards as much. But I dont put brakes on for the people next to me.

You can always remove the 419 adapter to run a direct thread can without an adapter, too.

Another vote for the Insite Arms Heathen Hybrid (Multi Caliber) Brake.

You can always remove the 419 adapter to run a direct thread can without an adapter, too.
True, but instructions suggest blue thread locker for the adapter (hence the suppressor adapters they are now starting to roll out).

Just did some load development with the Insight heathen.
Fairly mild noise at shooter.
Decent recoil mitigation.
Rock solid sight picture during recoil.
Absolutely no harmonics felt just a gentle push back.

Havent shot with it yet. But I just got the area 419 and love it. also got the suppressor adaptor so I can easily and quickly install my suppressor when I want.

I had a TAC A1 in 6.5CM with the stock Tikka brake, which appears to be the "common" brake for all the TAC A1 calibers (e.g., 6.5 / .260 / .308). Brake was ok. I have an APA Little B*rd on my current Stiller-based 6.5CM, specific to .264-caliber bullets. Subjectively, it's more effective in recoil reduction; downside is blast is also more pronounced. I should also note that the Stiller rifle is about 4 pounds heavier than the Tikka, which of course also affects recoil.

It is mandatory on a 6.5. If not, keep a roll of toilet paper and Preparation-H in your drag bag.

Reactions: Steel head