• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MV and load relationship basically linear?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Plan on taking the boys for our first long range (over 200M) trip in a few weeks.

I'm gonna look for a deal on a chrony over Black Friday, but there's other more "impotent" stuff to fill the stockings for Xmas...

I've got all of our handloads tuned up. But for the first time I'm going to need to estimate MV so that I can develop some range cards for the varying distances.

Based on the data in the reloading manual, is the relationship between the amount of powder, and MV (in between the min and max loads) more or less linear for interpolation purposes?

I KNOW the published data is just "close" anyway, and there's no substitute for a chrony- but I just need to make the best edumacated guess I can...

Re: MV and load relationship basically linear?

No, it's not linear, but a linear approximation will work for your purposes.

Re: MV and load relationship basically linear?

If you are using a ballistics program, you can make a pretty good estimation of your MV by reverse engineering your impacts at distance relative to a 100 yd zero. You need to get out to at least 400-500 yds for it to be a good measure though.