• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MV for .338 Federal out of 11" bbl?

sb_pete

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Had a conversation today and was wondering if anyone knows the MV for .338 Fed out of short bbl rifles (say 9"-13") (say 180gr bullets, but any info would be fine).

On a similar note, are there any other short action cartridges that would provide better short barrel performance.

Essentially, the gist of the conversation was that perhaps something like .338 Fed would provide better short barrel performance than .308 since the extra bbl dia. would allow for a fuller powder burn, less wasted powder, less muzzle flash and noise, better suppressor performance, etc.

In any case, thanks in advance.
-Pete

Re: MV for .338 Federal out of 11" bbl?

I'm with you in your thinking...look at Hornadys new 338 RCM.

I just built a 300 RCM.with a 22" bbl and got 3050fps with factory 165gr SST's.

The powder they use isn't available to us common folk yet...lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sb_pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...are there any other short action cartridges that would provide better short barrel performance.</div></div>

The 6.5 and heavier members of the Whisper/Fireball and TCU families come to mind. Must always consider feed rail, magazine-COAL, etc., issues. Thompson/Center forums have long lists of wonderful cartridges that won't ever find their way into an AR upper...

True on the Whisper series stuff, but .300 and .338 #1 whisper are .223 size action and the .338 #2 would make a nice suppressed subsonic load, but is really only putting out magnum pistol energy levels. .510 whisper is .338LM based and thus too big. Subsonic is cool, but I was thinking more like a 2000-2500fps 180-200gr projectile in .30-.35 out of a ~10" bbl.

Really I was thinking it would be nice to have something approaching .308 energy levels out of really short bbls for something like an AR10 or FAL. .308 loses so much energy and wastes so much powder going down to super short bbls though. Just a lot of flash, noise, carbon, wasted energy, etc.

I figure you'd need larger dia to burn the powder, but lighter bullets of that caliber so less BC and less long range performance, but for a thumper it could be cool. I have shot a .50 Beowulf and .458 Socom, but those really start dropping like rocks after 150yds or so. By going to a .308 size cartridge in a FAL or AR10 (or other), I figure you could get serious power all the way out to 500 or 600 yds if there is a cartridge that can efficiently burn its powder in a shorter bbl while launching a decently slippery .338 or similar projectile.

Thoughts?

Perhaps a higher rate of burning powder if youre into reloading. It would give that faster burn. I am unfamiliar with the .338 federal to know what barrels it normally has as well as normal speeds so maybe Im just spitting childish suggestions; but faster powder is where I'd start. Beware of chamber pressures though. I know something of reloading from surfing the Hide's forums; and am fair at physics; though I've never touched a reloading press yet. Its one of my next purchases.

Quickload suggests a 338 Fed could start a 250 Scenar at 1975 fps from an 11" bbl, at 60K pressure via W748 powder. 14K lbs-psi muzzle pressure.

That would make 600 yards with about 1450 fps/1150 ft-lbs. About 25 moa correction from a 100 yard zero.

ruger m77 338 federal, 16" barrel, reloader 10x 42.5 grains, cci 200, speer 200 hot core, 2500 fps.