• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my 243 wont chamber empty cases

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
i have a unfired tc venture. im using lee deluxe dies and once fired nosler brass.

ive full length sized my brass as far as i can. i have the die touching the shell holder. my case length is 2.03. my gun will not chamber the unloaded cases. is this a gun-die-cases problem

Re: my 243 wont chamber empty cases

What type of gun was the brass fired in?

Get some unfired brass, size and try to chamber.

Also try chambering a factory loaded round.

the brass was fired in a 243 prohunter. i neck sized it for that gun. then i bought this one so went back and full length sized it.

i dont have any factory ammo or unfired brass. i figured i would have some factory ammo somwhere areound here but i cant find any at all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... is this a gun-die-cases problem </div></div> You answered your own question.

i just tried it with factory ammo. it will chamber it but barley. this leads me to believe its a combonation of gun-and my cases.

now what

try unfired virgin brass, if that doesnt work its your gun. Your chamber is to tight, maybe dirty or has layer of flim. You could try another die, Redding dies are good for adjusting headspace. You could fit a feeler guage under your shellholder and run it threw the press, remove your decap pin or youll punch threw the feeler . You could even file down the shellholder to get closer contact with die, but be careful. You could even try lube on your rounds befor you chamber. Does that make sense?

i found a spur in the inside of the chamber. after i ran the action enought to wear it off my brass and factory brass works fine.

thanks for your advise. i dont know how anyone got anything reloading related figured out pre internet.