• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 45* Magpul Bipod mod

Lawless

Pureblood
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2018
    NC
    It’s no secret I am a Magpul fanboi. I pretty much like everything they make. That said, the one problem with the Magpul Bipod that I have found was that it was too tall for great prone shooting and since the legs did not go 45* like the Atlas, it seemed it was destined to be imperfect in that respect.

I read an old post where a guy said he had taken his Magpul bipod legs off and made notches so that the legs would lock at 45* and also at 90*. I had no pictures but I decided it couldn’t be that difficult. So, being unafraid to tear into a problem, I took the one from my Kidd rifle and disassembled it.

Looking at the way it works, it seemed easy enough. It needed a notch cut between the up and 90* positions as well as a tiny back cut to allow the plunger to work properly. The place we’re making the notch it right where the ramp that allows the legs to come down without pressing the button is, so relieving this a little with the back cut allows the plunger to lock.

I did the notches in my ancient drill press and the little back cut with a die grinder. By using the drill press and drill vise, I was able to keep the notches the same on both legs.

It turned out great. The bipod seems plenty strong, even when pressing down on it. It now goes very low, with the legs set 3 notches out as shown below it is perfect for me in prone now. It still works perfectly in the 90* position but this mod does mean that when you pull them down from fully up that the first position they lock into is 45*. You have to press the button to go to 90*. I think this fixed the Magpul in my mind. It obviously isn’t as stone strong as an Atlas, but for up to medium weight rifles it’s seems so far to be fine. I probably wouldn’t use it on a super heavy, hard recoiling rifle but I plan to do it to the one on my 6.5C as well.

C9BC911B-5036-411B-A39C-E18F2A839C4D.jpeg
    846D5A07-D36C-46CB-903E-D5AEE25CE3E2.jpeg

Last edited:
    That you for posting this. I have a couple of the Magpul bi-pods that I really like except that they do not have a 45 degree position. I'll see if I can find someone locally that has a drill-press to do the same modification on mine.

Have any pics of relief cut on the back side? I'm a big magpul bitch too.
    The first pic shows it. It is just a little cut to thin out the leg where it is too thick for the plunger to come back and lock.

29810767-3A3B-422B-8178-BEC3621C21FF.jpeg

Oh gotcha. I haven't torn mine apart to really see how they work. Any idea what sized bit/end mill you used? I'm thinking an end mill would work best.

Reactions: Lawless
    Oh gotcha. I haven't torn mine apart to really see how they work. Any idea what sized bit/end mill you used? I'm thinking an end mill would work best.
    I don’t remember, I just tried a few till I found one that fit the existing notch well.

I still use them both some. No issues, both holding up fine.

I bought an Atlas Cal2 and it has my main bipod affection currently.

I like the modifications, maybe magpul will pay you for R&D

Did you do this for your 6.5C, and if so, how does it handle the higher recoil in 45 degree position?

That looks like it is cast so I wonder how long it will hold up before it breaks
    I’d almost guarantee the metal backbone to the leg that he modified is just machined bar stock. You can see the machining marks on it as well.