• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 700 is finished.

355sigfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2004
Alaska
This started out as a Remington 700 Tactical in .308. The rifle shot well (.56 moa with its best load average) but it had some issues. The trigger sucked as did the stock. It also would not feed when I was running the bolt.
I followed advice given to me on this form and got a used McMillan stock from Snipers hide and a Timney trigger. I also purchased a Surgeon bottom metal which takes AI mags. I had a friend install the trigger [/U]for me. (I purchased an older 700 trigger but could not get it to fit so I then purchased a Timney and had my friend install it) I sent the stock, rifle and bottom metal off to Collier Rifles and he installed a rear pillar in the stock (it already had a front pillar) and he glass bed it as well and installed the bottom metal. I also purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP scope in Mil Mil. I have not been able to shoot it since it arrived as its 5 below zero outside with a 20 mph wind. But I did cycle some rounds through the mags with the safety on to see if it would feed and it does. I am very happy with this rifle.
This is before.
Remington700.jpg

This is after.
Remington700PrecisonRifle.jpg

Remington 700 Tactical in .308 Rifle $600
Vortex Viper PST 4-16 Mil Mil FFP Scope $ 840
EGW 15 moa Base $36
Burris XTR Rings $30
Timney Trigger $120
Used McMillan Stock purchased on Snipers hide $190
I already had the bi pod and I share it on other rifles.
Total cost $1626

Re: My 700 is finished.

So far I have only tested 168 grain Sierra bullets with N140, Varget and H335. I picked up some 155 grain Lapua bullets to test as well.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep collier rifles. Super nice guy.
Pat

http://www.collierrifles.com/</div></div>

+1

Nice rifle!

Very nice, I am in the process of doing something very similar with a .223 sps tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep collier rifles. Super nice guy.
Pat

http://www.collierrifles.com/ </div></div>

wow, im in statesboro about 30 minutes from his shop..everyone around here raves about his work.. I had a barrel threaded by him and a thread protector machined..it came out flawless. I definitely will go back when i need work done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> got a used McMillan stock from Snipers hide </div></div>

Not to bust your balls, but a person NEVER sees a McMillan go for 190 bucks. Your stock certainly looks like an H-S Precision stock, which commonly goes for 175-250 bucks used. Either way, good looking rig, man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to bust your balls, but a person NEVER sees a McMillan go for 190 bucks. Your stock certainly looks like an H-S Precision stock, which commonly goes for 175-250 bucks used. Either way, good looking rig, man! </div></div>

Thats exactly what i was gonna say.

WhiteDingo sold it to me on this site. I had no reason not to doubt him. The reason it was cheaper was due to a poor inletting job done to the bottom metal area. But more material had to be removed for the Surgeon bottom metal so it was fine with me.
Pat

Oh well I paid 190 for it so it was about right. Thanks for the info.
Pat

Got to the range today. Its warmed up a lot but now its raining. I got a friend of mine to plow out the range and I tested out my Remington 700. The first group was 3 inches high. Bedding and removing the scope and putting it back on did that. I dialed it down and fired the next 4 groups with my good ammo and the average was .65. I then used my plinking stuff for the last group because I was out of the good stuff. Even with the two bad groups the overall average was .78. I am very happy with this gun and the Vortex scope. The mags fed and functioned fine in the Surgeon bottom metal.

Remington700rangereportfeb2012.jpg

Well it does not like 155 grain Sierra Parma match bullets at least not with N140. I will have to try a different powder. This was Sierra's recommended Accuracy load. It did better with 178 grain Amax and 168 gain Amax bullets. I need to get some 168 grain Sierra's again those did the best so far.
MaxloadwithSierra155.jpg

155grainSierrastartingloadnottrimmed.jpg

155grainsierrastartingchargetrimmedcases.jpg

168grainamaxmaxload.jpg

178grainamax39grainsofN140.jpg

178grainAmax40grainsofN140.jpg

178grainAmax41grainsofN140.jpg

Some of it is probably me as the best group is usually the last one I fired at each set of targets.
Temperature ws 30 degrees no wind. No excuses.
Pat

That is one good looking rifle. I just picked up a 700 Tactical myself last week. So far, I'm quite happy.

Oh, and hey guys, first poster here!

Hope you like yours too. Let me know one thing. Will your magazine feed. That was part of the reason I got the Surgeon bottom metal with detachable mags. The stock internal mag would not feed with more than 3 rounds loaded in the mag.
Pat

Awesome build. I'm working on something veeery similar. I ordered that scope a couple weeks ago (back order of course). Looks awesome. Can't wait to get mine running.

Did you do any group comparisons with the stocks? Just wondering how it shot before replacing the hogue with the mcmillan.

looks great man, I'm not a fan of the stock on my 700 sps tactical either. I'm just waiting to find a deal on a nice used mcmillan or AICS stock.

As to the stocks my groups are fired off the bench with the bag support near the magazine so this made the Hogue stock less of an issue. I am sure with the bi pod the new stock would shoot much better than the Hogue because its more rigid.
Pat