• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 99% complete reloading room!

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
Well here are a few pics of the before and after basement reloading room. Started off by throwing away a truck load of junk. I use UGL Drylock paint on the block walls (the fumes will absolutely make you sick for a day), installed 1/2" styrofoam sheet insulation on the walls before studding. Ran all new electric and lights (7 can lights and (2) 4' flourescents above work areas) Treated bottom plate and standard wood studs. Installed rolled insulation and drywall. Primed and painted and rebuilt my old kitchen cabinets. Installed laminate snap together flooring and built double 3/4" countertops (18 feet long). I use Formica for the countertop and it turned out great for my first time!

grstart.jpg

grstuded.jpg

grinsulation.jpg

100_4142.jpg

100_4141.jpg

100_4139.jpg

100_4137.jpg

100_4136.jpg

Well the shelving was built heavy enough to park a small tank on and everything else turned out great. Plan on using an older computer for reloading data etc. I mounted the presses on a extra 1"+ piece of poplar stair tred and C clamped it to the bench. The funny thing is that I have never reloaded ammo. Got the stuff and time to learn. Once I get comfortable I will permanently mount everything. I do need a good electric case trimmer if you have any suggestion.
Please feel free to chime in on set up!

Re: My almost complete reloading room!

You forgot the stripper pole and glitter ball!

Good job, and I shouldn't worry too much about chemical spillages..
As far as reloading goes, I can't imagine any powder spillages damaging anything!
And I do all my reloading/gun cleaning in our kitchen,
And any spilt cleaning fluid etc has never done any harm (wiped up immediately of course)

smile.gif

A cot and a refrigerator and you would be set to live in there. Very nice.

Formica would be the best bet but inexpensive linoleum flooring glued on top would be good too.

If it's not too late and if feed and drain pipe access is practical it would be VERY good to add a small sink for washing hands, making coffee, etc.

Damn, You have some skills there.

It looks great.. keep the pictures coming!!!

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Well I spoke to soon. I just bought (2) 10'x30" pieces of Formica (pretty cool looking leaf pattern #7231-58)at Lowes for $100. The local countertop place said between $600-$700. It will be here in a week, and I will post some more pics. Im pretty green at reloading (Ive had the equipment but no time or place to use it) so if anyone has some input as to placement of presses etc, it would be appreciated. I have a Rock Chucker Supreme, RCBS Partner press and another older used RCBS press.
BTW the stripper pole is there, its just not painted gold yet!
Thanks for the compliments, jack of all trades master of none. The only thing I dont do is heat up electric. I wire everything and have it hanging by the panel then call my electrician buddy to do the hot work.

Good going so far! I would strongly recommend simply clamping your various presses etc. into place for a bit, and then decide where you want them before permanent mounting them. I never have unclamped my Forster, despite it being in the location I know it will remain in, just haven't ever decided to buy the bolts, drill the table and mount it that way....

I would definitely think about some under the cabinet lights, it is amazing what DOESN'T get illuminated with ceiling level lights....again, just get your setup going, and then see if you think you need some more light.

It sounded like you already got the formica, so I hope that works well, I would have recommended a plain white or beige color, little parts have a way of disappearing easily for me on patterned countertops, like the grey marbled pattern in my kitchen!!

I have clear sealed maple tops in my shop, which work well, I've used 1/4" finish grade or birch plywood as a top which also works well, but the Formica should be good to go for the purpose.

Some slat wall or bin storage is a good add on, and it's also worth considering some floor mats in areas you might be standing in a lot, hardwood floors are really HARD WOOD floors--ha...That looks like a great space, do you have heat/air in there? I may have missed that in your posts--I'll look forward to seeing it when it's totally tricked out--good on ya!

WOW, very jealous!
Looks great, I highly recommend going to Lowes or somewhere and getting a 12"x12" piece of 1/4" steel plate and mounting your press through that to the counter top. It distributes the forces very well, and eliminates any flex.

IMG_0187.jpg

can;t see it in the photo, but there is also a lag bolt through the front of the steel plate also to prevent flex. It's rock solid.

That room looks great though, wish we could have basements in the area I live in, high water tables suck.

madd0c

Dude you suck... I hate my reloading set up now!

Nice reloading room! I will have to go with Fish 301 about more under cabinet lighting, can't have enough light for looking at case stamps, inside of shell cases, looking down into rifle actions, checking out rifling on your barrels when your cleaning. Looks like you got the other stuff covered like plenty of outlets and storage. Enjoy your reloading room!

Yup, it has heat and a/c. I thought about under cabinet lights and figured my main cleaning/work area would be under the 4' flourescents, so I left them out. I hope I wont be kick n myself for not hard wiring some in. I can always use an outlet I suppose. If I get real serious, there is still 2 blank walls I can add benches to. Im going to add an older entertainment center that has been sitting around as well, so I will have some TV/stereo entertainment for break time and the mini fridge my migrate from my shop to the reloading room. GOTTA KEEP MY CROWN ROYAL CHILLED!!

Very clean set-up. Nice work. You will enjoy this, and your reloads will turn out better with an organized, dedicated space to work. Keep the pics coming.

Mine is in the garage....hate it when it's freezing cold in the winter or blazing hot in the summer. I was entertaining the idea of setting up something indoors...but that's NOT going to fly with the other half.

I have 60 different cartridges and 9 presses in a 10'x12' room with 110 linear feet of 16" deep shelving on the walls.

That is a compressed load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 60 different cartridges and 9 presses in a 10'x12' room with 110 linear feet of 16" deep shelving on the walls.

That is a compressed load. </div></div>

60 Different cartridges!

Fark!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 60 different cartridges and 9 presses in a 10'x12' room with 110 linear feet of 16" deep shelving on the walls.

That is a compressed load.</div></div>

That is insanity. I don't think I could track the dope on 60 different cartridges, let alone seating depths, headspace, charge weight, etc, etc, etc.

I am sure you have an accuracy load for every range imaginable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That is insanity. .. 60 different cartridges, ..
I am sure you have an accuracy load for every range imaginable. </div></div>

More than half my guns I have never fired, but I have ok range reports on; 19 Badger,.222, .223, 22-250, 6mmBR, .243, 25acp, 25/35, 250/3000, 257 Robert Ackley Improved, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav, 7.62x39mm, 308, 7.5Swiss, 30-06, 300WM, 303Brit,7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw 10mm, 10.4mm, 401 power mag, 44mag, 45acp, 45Colt, .410, 45/70, and 12 ga.

Some stuff, like 32 H&R, 327 Federal, 338L, 357 max, 45 Win Mag, 460 Rowland, 454 Casull, 458 Lott, and 50 Rem is just some brass, some bullets, some dies, a reamer, a barrel, and a bunch of other parts lying around waiting to go the range.

There are ~ 90 file folder boxes. Some cartridges can fit 5 to a box, like 32sw, 32-20, 32 S&W long, 32 H&R, and 32acp. Some cartridges, like 223 or 308, take more than 5 boxes per cartridge.

This organizational structure came out of not wanting to kit and unkit for reloading at the shooting site. Just pull the right boxes and go. Bring the boxes back and slide them on a shelf.

Nice reloading room. I'm jealous as I've been working on a plan for an upgrade to mine.

As for your question, a friend of mine uses a Corian countertop. I was thinking the Corian would be fairly cheap, clean up well, and not absorb lubes and other liquids. Might be perfect for you.

Man Clark! I'm retired Air Force and I seen CONEX boxes bigger than your reloading shop. Least you don't have to go far for your components then back to the press your working with. LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man Clark! I'm retired Air Force and I seen CONEX boxes bigger than your reloading shop. Least you don't have to go far for your components then back to the press your working with. LOL! </div></div>

The OP, MOOSEKNUCKLE's, reloading room looks so luxuriously big, he could set up a band and allow dancing.

I have to take the chair out of my reloading room so I can vacuum.

Thats fantastic.

I've lately been trying to get a cabinet/countertop setup like that. Those premade countertops are like $45 at home depot for a 6-8 foot long piece.

The expensive part is the actual cabinets that sit the floor but you can get the unfinished ones for fairly cheap as well.

I really need a new relaoding setup, seeing as my current setup consists of a 25 year old folding table from my parents, which doubles as a computer desk.

Sigh.