• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My AX338MC won't shoot 100 yards

torrentuser

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
I have a brand new AX338MC 27 inch barrel with 30 moa top rail. I have a brand new Vortex Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27x56 mil EBR-2C. I have the scope sitting in a ERA-TAC 34 MM Adjustable INCLINATION, 37mm high Mount. The mount is set to 0 moa. The scope's elevation is turned all the way down to 0. The zero stop is untouched.

I shot at my 100 yard target, walked down to look at it and I didn't hit paper. Asked some guys at the range to watch and they told me I shot 3 feet over the target.

What am I going to do? I can't bring the scope down any more.

Bought the whole system from EuroOptic but they are closed for the holidays.

Advice? Was planning to shoot 1k tomorrow Labor day holiday but I can't even zero the rifle.

Advice appreciated,
Torrentuser

n.b. I am completely unfamiliar with the mount.
Can the mount be reversed front to back? If so, then turning it "up" would in fact be turning it down,which might get you on paper until you can figure out what is going on.

I live in Silicon Valley and only have access to 100 yard ranges for most of the time. Also 200 - 300 yards is not a lot of angle for 338. 3FT is a lot of deflection!

I'm not familiar with the Razor, but it sounds like you need to disengage the zero-stop and reset your elevation turret. It may have been set "higher" within the range of adjustment from the factory.

I think the zero stop is the only chance I have got. It is set to zero from factory. I don't know how many turns it has. I have to unlock 3 screws to adjust it.

Maybe you could check a ballistic program for your load. Look for the entry that is 36moa over a 100 yd. zero. That is your range that you are on at the present setting. I hafta hold a mil low to hit at 650 yds. with 338 LM/250 , scope bottomed out. Don't normally shoot that close though.

You can look up how much elevation travel that particular scope has and then compare it to how much travel you are able to dial in your current configuration. If you are not able to achieve the scopes potential, then reset the turret.

That scope has 33mils of elevation reset the turrets and zero at 100yds, send that rediculously over priced mount back and get a spuhr

OK Take a deep breath. If you mounted the scope your self I think it is not sitting straight in the rings. I would pull the scope out and remount it taking particular care to tighten each screw a little bit at a time and making sure that the ring gap on each side stayed about the same using feeler gauges (or playing cards).

Before you send any more of those five dollar rounds down range, remove the bolt and sight down the bore--center the target--then adjust the reticle so it is centered on the target. That should get you on paper.

I can't shoot until tomorrow but even then it is not on a bench or perfect precise ranges. I was able to turn the zero stop down... 18 mils down so there is some hope. I didn't mount the scope, pro did it, at this point I don't suspect it.

uploadfromtaptalk1409529274044.jpg I need to clean my bench.

If you were able to dial down an additional 18 mils then you should be fine. You can semi-confirm using the method stated above (looking down the bore). If you can sight out to roughly 100 yds. From the house see if you are able to align your reticle with sight picture thru the bore

Ya aint got time to waste cleaning yer bench you got work to do.

1) Get calipers (tape measure if you do not have calipers) measure the height from the center of your bolt to the center of your scope.

2) Put a piece of tape on the wall your rifle is pointed at.

3) put two large black dots on the tape the distance apart you measured in one

4) Take out bolt

5) Sight down Bore---align rifle to bottom dot

6) Twiddle turrets until reticle is on top dot

My bench is now clean, getting the calipers out. Gotta first clean the SCAR and then I will get some tape and try it out as you suggest.

When you get it zeroed at 100 (depending on your load) you should only need 8.1 mil to get to 1000 so leave that eratac thingy alone unless you are stretching it out past a mile.

You don't have to have a bore sight laser to bore sight a rifle.

Remove the bolt.
Look down the barrel at something around 100yds.
Lock down the rifle or don't bump it.
Adjust scope turrets so it's zero'd at the same thing your looking at through the bore. Keep double checking your barrel is pointed at the same thing as your scope.

Do you know how to zero the Razor? It works similar to USO EREK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Last edited:
Power stroke I think you are correct. I am just hoping that I the 18 mils I went down in the zero stop will be enough. I read the manual and there was no mention that the starting position of the zero stop would be high. I just didn't have the means to adjust the zero stop at the range and now I don't have 100 yards available. I think I don't need any more assistance, I will need to head to the range one more time to get my 100 yard zero or the bore sight. Whatever happens first.

You don't have to have access to 100 yds to atleast get it on paper. Bore sighting anything 70-150yds around your house should atleast get you on paper or very close at 100.

So you bought all of this high dollar stuff with no idea on how to use it, you can't set up the scope, think you need equipment to bore sight, and you want to go shooting at 1000 yards tomorrow:) not giving you a hard time, I just think you should slow your roll as the only thing you will accomplish tomorrow is wasted money throwing rounds down range with no firm idea on what is going on. I would guess you don't reload so at 5-6 bucks a round you will be in for a long and frustrating day. Bore sight it at 50 yards to find paper, then shoot at 100 to set up the scope and have someone with you as a spotter as you should have seen the rounds at 3 feet above the target hitting unless you are having recoil management issues. Then practice at shorter ranges and work your way out to 1k. JMHO

piece of mind is worth way more than $24 bucks, rock solid mount and no movement in anyway is the goal.....nobody I repeat nobody needs a scope mount with a god damn wheel on the side when your scope has 33mils of elevation

Holy shit, this thread is epic. 30 posts when it's quite obvious that the factory zero stop was engaged if the mount itself was set to 0MOA. That mount is completely unnecessary with that setup though...

piece of mind is worth way more than $24 bucks, rock solid mount and no movement in anyway is the goal.....nobody I repeat nobody needs a scope mount with a god damn wheel on the side when your scope has 33mils of elevation

Depends how far you want to shoot.

For the OP, just reset your zero. I would go to 0 unscrew the turret, turn it to 5mils or more if need be (depending on how high you're shooting).. screw the turrets back on and see where you're hitting at. I have the same mount on my SB with my PSR (also has a 30moa rail) and I actually have the mount canted at 20moa as well.

Last edited:
You're right, I was a little hungry n tired and I turn into Cobracutter when I don't have a snickers, Op I hope you get it dialed in and have a good day out shooting.... oh and nice set up

Its there if you need it, you do not have to use it. And the mount is much smaller and compact than the Spuhr. and you can mount an rmr/red dot etc onto it as well. Do you personally own an era-tac mount? How would you know if its not "rock solid" or "no movement", or just talking shit because of the price?
When the fuck are you ever going to need 90 MOA of cant? Especially with a 338LM!

And! When are you going to put a red dot on a 338LM?

Posted Via Glade Plug In.

When the fuck are you ever going to need 90 MOA of cant? Especially with a 338LM!

And! When are you going to put a red dot on a 338LM?

You can Adjust the can't of the mount... ERA-TAC Adjustable Inclination mount. Key word "adjustable" from 0-70moa. And before you get all keyboard commando, I highly suggest you read it clearly and thoroughly!! and do some research! We were talking about mounts (ERA-TAC & Spuhr) they both can add accessories if need be. So come back to me when you have it all figured out.

You can Adjust the can't of the mount... ERA-TAC Adjustable Inclination mount. Key word "adjustable" from 0-70moa. And before you get all keyboard commando, I highly suggest you read it clearly and thoroughly!! and do some research! We were talking about mounts (ERA-TAC & Spuhr) they both can add accessories if need be. So come back to me when you have it all figured out.
Blow me first?

Adjustable means "more shit to go wrong".

Go polish your guns.

Blow me first?

Adjustable means "more shit to go wrong".

Go polish your guns.

Aww so feisty aren't you..... Polish bahahaha. I've been to Afghan. No need to run my shit dirty to make it look "salty" for others

Last edited:
Bore sight?

Laser bore sight?

Both would be a good way of at least getting on the paper.

Removing my usable post to subtract myself from this garbage

Last edited:
Another epic thread

The mention of being able to put a red dot sight on a 338 is the part that got me lol

The OP is back! I am pleased to announce that my AX will shoot! All my equipment is running well and I am very pleased. Bottoming out the zero stop solved the problem. I went out to BLM today and was able to easily hit a three hundred yard target by actually adding some clicks up on the scope. I still want to get a 100 YARD zero since it is the range that is most available to me. I understand that shooting 100 yards is pretty silly with this gun. Someone on page three figured that I don't reload, well I do. I reload 9mm and 357 / 38 / 223 on my Dillon 650 and hand load my 308 & some 223 with my Forster Coax. Now I have recently purchased all the dies for 338. My advice, don't get into 338 unless you are a mint and can print money. The equipment alone is ridiculous. I am estimating that my cost is $4 a pop or basically a gallon of gas. I am not reloading for cost but accuracy. I would like to shoot out to a mile accurately and I have made my investment in the AI chassis. I am eagerly awaiting when the small action conversion kit comes out so I can start shooting at $1 a pop. Next step is to get the 100 yard zero and build a ladder which I think only makes sense to conduct @ 200 yards. Unfortunately for me, I have to wait for the 4th Sunday of every month to have access at the Metcalf range near my house. One last thing. I didn't waste a ton of ammunition today getting frustrated. Total shots down the tube is 7 or $28. Keep the epic thread alive.
Also I hate having to post using my Android phone, but everyone, (Google & Checkpoint) have blocked the site for malware. Sure hope that gets cleared up quick.

Keep on keeping on.

The OP is back! I am pleased to announce that my AX will shoot! All my equipment is running well and I am very pleased. Bottoming out the zero stop solved the problem. I went out to BLM today and was able to easily hit a three hundred yard target by actually adding some clicks up on the scope. I still want to get a 100 YARD zero since it is the range that is most available to me. I understand that shooting 100 yards is pretty silly with this gun. Someone on page three figured that I don't reload, well I do. I reload 9mm and 357 / 38 / 223 on my Dillon 650 and hand load my 308 & some 223 with my Forster Coax. Now I have recently purchased all the dies for 338. My advice, don't get into 338 unless you are a mint and can print money. The equipment alone is ridiculous. I am estimating that my cost is $4 a pop or basically a gallon of gas. I am not reloading for cost but accuracy. I would like to shoot out to a mile accurately and I have made my investment in the AI chassis. I am eagerly awaiting when the small action conversion kit comes out so I can start shooting at $1 a pop. Next step is to get the 100 yard zero and build a ladder which I think only makes sense to conduct @ 200 yards. Unfortunately for me, I have to wait for the 4th Sunday of every month to have access at the Metcalf range near my house. One last thing. I didn't waste a ton of ammunition today getting frustrated. Total shots down the tube is 7 or $28. Keep the epic thread alive.
Also I hate having to post using my Android phone, but everyone, (Google & Checkpoint) have blocked the site for malware. Sure hope that gets cleared up quick.

Would love to see some pics!!!