• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My buddy's first custom rifle build. pics

Re: My buddy's first custom rifle, range report

Good job.
Handloads should shrink them even more, hows she feel?

It is good. Felt recoil is nothing. I was able to see the dirt fly at 100 yards and that is even with the scope turned all the way up to 22 power. It is a fun rifle to shoot.

Not often that you hear .300 win mag, and fun to shoot in the same post. Looks amazing.

So here is the load and group I am going to work with.
75.7 grains of h1000 and 208 amax .020 jump.
Group measured .507 minus .308 equals .199 for 3 shots @ 100
Not quite as good as I hoped but I think We can Work with it.
wink.gif

The rifle now has 45 rounds through it, so I think that's a good sign of things to come.

2012-04-07_1404472.jpg

Very very good shooter there! I like the carbon fiber wrapped barrel, it looks great and definatly sheds some weight off!

I was able Chronograph this load. It is getting 2813fps. I shot a 3.5 inch group at 647 with it in less than ideal conditions. It now has 60 rounds through it. I am going to give it another good cleaning, then we are going to go shoot it out to 1400 yards and see what happens. We also might try the Berger 210 vlds. Can you believe my buddy still has not even touched this thing yet!!!!. Crazy right.

Final report. Jeff and I finally got to get together to give him his rifle. The load we settled on was 75.7 grains of h1000. We swaped the 208 amax for the 210 berger vld. Same powder charge. The velocity was 2836fps with an ES of 6 and a sd of 3.
He hasnt shot anything but a bow in years. He shot a 2.5 inch group at 650 yards. I think he is pretty happy.