• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Bullets get stuck in my Redding Die

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
I have a brand new Type S Redding Competition Seater. Trying to seat .260 REM to a COAL of 2.820. Got three bullets done (all were pretty inconsistent in length) and then the bullets started getting stuck in the die. Any ideas?

Re: My Bullets get stuck in my Redding Die

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a brand new Type S Redding Competition Seater. Trying to seat .260 REM to a COAL of 2.820. Got three bullets done (all were pretty inconsistent in length) and then the bullets started getting stuck in the die. Any ideas? </div></div>

Strip and clean the seater plug, there could be dirt or dried rust preventative oil in it, in worst case there is a chip of metal or similar in it.

Perhaps you have already done this, if so them I have no ideas.

Best regards Chris

New die? Could have the wrong plug installed.

Did you take it apart and clean it when you first got it? Both of the ones I have purchased are so full of snot when I first used then that I HAD to clean them.

Its a brand new die. It seated 3 bullets successfully then it all went to shit.

Im building loads and tried a load of 45.5 Grains of 4831 SC on a 139 Lapua Scenar. Its a compressed load (little bit of a crunch). I took the die apart and cleaned the seating stem. I called redding said that the "die is not made to do compressed loads". Thats also near lower side of my load development regimen. Was planning on taking it up to 47.0 grains. Im not buying the compressed load bit since Im running the same loads as a few other guys I shoot with and they are all using the same Redding Type-S Competition die and they dont seem to have issues. Maybe I need a bit more neck tension....?

Maybe- are you neck sizing? If you can, get a measure on the brass neck before seating and after seating, and post that measurement. There still should not be that much "grip" on the bullet when seating it.

Pretty sure that I read there was an issue with some Scenar bullets and the Redding competition seater.
Something about the shape of the bullet being so close to the same shape of the die that a suction effect was created.

The symptoms were very similar to what you described.
It doesn't happen with all of the bullets because some are different enough to not create a seal.

I will try to find the reference when I get a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a brand new Type S Redding Competition Seater. Trying to seat .260 REM to a COAL of 2.820. Got three bullets done (all were pretty inconsistent in length) and then the bullets started getting stuck in the die. Any ideas? </div></div>

Operator error.....
laugh.gif
... Nah, but seriously Jason, 45.5 works in my dies. Thats crazy that they are sticking in yours...

Found the reference:

Link from other Forum

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: From other Forum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, here's a problem I had when I first started using it, and Redding's suggested solution, promptly emailed, which works well:

PROBLEM:

I've been having problems with the .308 competition seating die - 155 gr Lapua Scenar (not moly) have been sticking as I try to load them to a 2.775 and 2.80 OAL over 45.5 gr of Varget in once-fired, neck sized Lapua cases, to the point that I have to take a small pair of forceps and remove the bullets manually (scratching them in the process).

I've tried dripping some case lube down the die, but that doesn't seem to work. I only recently purchased the die, and have loaded maybe 10 rounds before (into virgin brass), and those didn't present a problem. Any thoughts ?

REDDING'S ANSWER:

Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment. Remove the micrometer assembly from the top of the die and pick the seat stem out of the top of the sliding sleeve. Apply a light coating of case lube to the interior of the seat stem with a Q-tip. The bullets are sticking because the shape of the bullet is a very close match for the shape of the interior of the seat stem.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I called redding said that the "die is not made to do compressed loads".
</div></div>

I run compressed loads with my Redding Competition die seater--thousands of them, quite compressed.

What you should do, is to start seating the bullet, and when you encounter the resistance of the powder slow the stroke so tht it takes a full second to finish seating the bullet in the cartrige--just ease the ram up slowly. This minimizes the expansion force on the seater plug--and eliminates (or minimizes) splitting of the plug.

Are you neck sizing your cases? I only had that problem with my Redding comp seater die and 155gr Scenars because I did not have enough neck tension. The Scenars were literally dropping through the case neck. I reduced the bushing neck sizer by .002" and solved the problem.

When my Redding .308 comp seating die was new it had the same problem with Lapua 155's. I took the die apart and cleaned it, used some 000 steel wool to debur the inside of the stem. After reassembling the die the sticking went away after seating 15 or so bullets. BTW, these are compressed loads with .002-.003 neck tension.

Glad I found this. I had the same issue tonight with Lapua brass, 155 Scenars and 45.4gr of Varget. It's definitely a compressed load. I tried all of the above and I ended up using my Lee seating die.

I had full length resized these cases without the expander ball, so there was a lot of neck tension. I think that may be the issue as I had no problems with this load with the Scenars before.

With the competiton seater they say you can flare the seating stem with compressed loads and bind it in the die, keeping it from floating.

Try taking a bullet and lapping the inside of the stem. The sharp edge may be grabbing the jacket when you seat

Switch to H4350.
Or think about using a different seating die.
I use competition seater for my 223 loads and they are compressed with an 80gr SMK or Nosler CC. I have never had a problem but in your case it could be the bullet shape, degree of compression, neck tension, any number of factors. I am sure the plug is binding and in that case maybe look at some other options is all I am saying. Have you tried any SMKs?

I have no problem with 175 SMKs with the brass prepped the same way. It's just the 155 Scenars. What I think I should have done is run the brass through an expander die first, then I think it would have been a non-issue. I had done this load before with .002 neck tension, but this time I am sure I had a lot more than that.

That looks like something to turn a Standard seating die into a micrometer seating die. I have the 55155 Competition seating die already. Maybe I should call Redding.

Get the stem specifically for VLD bullets, Sinclair has them. I had the same issue loading my 260 with the 139 Scenar bullets, it worked for the first 30 then they started hanging up and getting yanked out of the case every time have to take the seater apart to remove the bullet.

Here's something else to consider. Depending on how much & type powder you are trying to get into the case you will find,as I did, that using a long drop tube with the same amount of powder will turn many (not all) compressed loads into non compressed loads.

I got the BR Seat Plug 30 Cal Long today. Redding recommended the VLD Comp Long Seater Stem, so I ordered one of those too. I believe the 1st one will work, will try it tonight.

I got one of the VLD seater plugs recently because I'm working up loads for a new GAP .308 and wanted to try some Bergers and Scenars myself. I haven't used it yet but I planned on giving it a try this weekend. Glad I saw this post so I can watch out for problems.

BTW, the pictures on the Sinclair site don't help at all. Here's what you get when you order the seater plug (this is a close up shot of the plug which is only about 1 inch long):

141029019.jpg