• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Counterfeit MAGPUL Experience

HugoStiglitz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PHX AZ
Went to the SAR show in PHX last weekend, and was lucky to sell a few small items as a walk-in. Been wanting a set of MAGPUL MBUS sights, so I stopped at the first table I ecountered. Clean-cut, professional looking and talking guys starting a new brick & mortar store nearby. Figured their price ($70 for the set) was a "get-to-know-us" price. The light bulb came on when I went to mount the set and noted "issues" with both the front and rear sight that were clearly NOT acceptable on a military grade sight. Called MAGPUL and the lady confirmed them as fakes (not even PTS) so did other internet postings. The bottom of the box (in SMALL print) even says "WARNING: This Product is designed for Training and Simulation use only". Called the seller (he gave me a reciept) and asked if he was aware that he was selling fakes. Of course he was surprised, and offered a refund (if I can actually get to meet him). It got me thinking about other poor trusting SCHMUCKS like myself who will take them home and install on a rifle they will likely not shoot for a looong time to discover. The question is; as a retailer do you think he knew what they really were, or is he also a victim ???

Re: My Counterfeit MAGPUL Experience

I think since you are able to get a hold of him, and he has offered you a refund then he is legit. Pending your money back of course.

Get his side of the story, but I'm willing to bet that he is also a victim of a 'good deal'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think since you are able to get a hold of him, and he has offered you a refund then he is legit. Pending your money back of course.

Get his side of the story, but I'm willing to bet that he is also a victim of a 'good deal'. </div></div>

I believe he got scrooged too. I bet someone offered him a good deal on a box full of "magpull" sights so he took the bait.

Or he's just covering his tracks so he still sounds like a good guy and wants repeat business,

Good on you for taking action! I hate this BS as it usually involves an AMERICAN DESIGN being ripped off by someone with no skin in the game. A fellow shooter at the range proudly showed me his fake Leupold last week and was surprised at my reaction. Regards

They know who they are getting their product from.

i snagged a PTS AFG2 off egay for 19.50 shipped. upon inspection it looks like real stuff except the magpul words are backwards. box looked like real stuff and did say PTS and it fit the rail on my AR308. i just wanted to see if id like it on the rifle and didnt want to shell out $30+ to do it. it was a US seller, but the other dozen were straight from china

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i snagged a PTS AFG2 off egay for 19.50 shipped. upon inspection it looks like real stuff except the magpul words are backwards. box looked like real stuff and did say PTS and it fit the rail on my AR308. i just wanted to see if id like it on the rifle and didnt want to shell out $30+ to do it. it was a US seller, but the other dozen were straight from china </div></div>

It's not real. Just being a US seller doesn't mean it's legit and the fake stuff also comes in legit looking packaging and usually fits just as well as the real stuff too. Not all fakes have backwards words but ZERO real Magpul items will have backwards words.

That is terrible. Also be careful Airsoft stuff, especially scopes, that people sell as the real thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i snagged a PTS AFG2 off egay for 19.50 shipped. upon inspection it looks like real stuff except the magpul words are backwards. box looked like real stuff and did say PTS and it fit the rail on my AR308. i just wanted to see if id like it on the rifle and didnt want to shell out $30+ to do it. it was a US seller, but the other dozen were straight from china </div></div>

It's not real. Just being a US seller doesn't mean it's legit and the fake stuff also comes in legit looking packaging and usually fits just as well as the real stuff too. Not all fakes have backwards words but ZERO real Magpul items will have backwards words.</div></div>

I could be wrong, but I think axeman knew he was buying a non-magpul AFG. He ordered the cheaper PTS, to see if he liked it. That's how I read it anyway.

yup. i knew it was PTS too. didnt care and its nice enough i wonder how real could be any better. i just didnt want to pay full price and find out i didnt like the feel of it. the backward words did suprise me though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i snagged a PTS AFG2 off egay for 19.50 shipped. upon inspection it looks like real stuff except the magpul words are backwards. box looked like real stuff and did say PTS and it fit the rail on my AR308. i just wanted to see if id like it on the rifle and didnt want to shell out $30+ to do it. it was a US seller, but the other dozen were straight from china </div></div>

It's not real. Just being a US seller doesn't mean it's legit and the fake stuff also comes in legit looking packaging and usually fits just as well as the real stuff too. Not all fakes have backwards words but ZERO real Magpul items will have backwards words.</div></div>

I could be wrong, but I think axeman knew he was buying a non-magpul AFG. He ordered the cheaper PTS, to see if he liked it. That's how I read it anyway. </div></div>

You're probably right. I think I misread it. I've looked at most Magpul items side by side with their knockoff counterpart & the really good ones are nearly identical. To have backwards words is a dead giveaway.

you know its funny how they stop containers of fake purses and designer stuff at customs like its a major thing. i guess if thats your industry, it is a major thing. butthen they have straight knockoffs on ebay coming over one at a time and nothing is ever said about them. they have copies of everything on ebay and they sell 24/7 unfettered. i do like chinese batteries. 10 got 10 cr123v lithiums for 12.50 shipped. the flashlights and weapon lights dont mind

I don't see why the dealer would not know. He either bought them from Magpul or he didn't.

But yes, there are lots of Airsoft copies of gun parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see why the dealer would not know. He either bought them from Magpul or he didn't.
</div></div>

Well he obviously didn't buy them from magpul...

Let's say another gun shop selling these sights as MAGPUL sights went out of business for selling junk knockoffs. Then the op's dealer was able to somehow come in contact with the previous dealer and the previous dealer said hey I got a box (20) of magpul sights sights I'll sell you for 200 bucks they retail for 80 bucks a piece. The OPs dealer may not know magpul and jumps on the "deal".

But like KAZ says if you see the same dealer passing off these sights as Magpul sights then he's a crook.

Definitely have to watch out for counterfeit items. Especially on e-bay. I know that in the motorcycle industry there are tons counterfeit parts on e-bay. Guess it isn't any different with firearms stuff. Anything to make a buck for people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see why the dealer would not know. He either bought them from Magpul or he didn't.</div></div>

I would imagine that Magpul probably sells through distributors and not direct to every single dealer out there.

magpul doesn't sell to anyone but 3 other distributors as far as I know and any smaller stores that want to sell have to go through one of the 3. As far as selling fakes I would feel they would have to know. They probably picked up some cheap chicom stuff to make a nice profit and you will never hear from them again. Hopefully i am wrong. I purchased a Magpul UBR stock at a gunshow in PHX and it was a fake, magpul had set up a site with a # to call if you received one. i called and was told we are sorry you purchased a fake magpul marked stock and we will look into it. It took them about 5wks to call me back from the time I left the message. Thought maybe they would ask for the copy and send me a real one since it was marked and packaged as a magpul but no, and I guess I shouldn't have hoped for that as it is not there fault for the cheap knock offs invading the market. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery, just watch what you buy and only buy from established companies. JMHO

i have encountered Daniel Defense, Magpul, Eotech, Microtech, and Leupold knockoffs thus far--they used to be easy to spot because of plain cardboard boxes but now they copy the pkging down to the last detail--and the words are no longer spelled incorrectly or backwards

There are a bunch of MS2 slings floating around ebay right now for less than $20. I picked up a couple to use on beater rifles, and I must say, they seem pretty decently made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madpipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">magpul doesn't sell to anyone but 3 other distributors as far as I know and any smaller stores that want to sell have to go through one of the 3. As far as selling fakes I would feel they would have to know. They probably picked up some cheap chicom stuff to make a nice profit and you will never hear from them again. Hopefully i am wrong. I purchased a Magpul UBR stock at a gunshow in PHX and it was a fake, magpul had set up a site with a # to call if you received one. i called and was told we are sorry you purchased a fake magpul marked stock and we will look into it. It took them about 5wks to call me back from the time I left the message. Thought maybe they would ask for the copy and send me a real one since it was marked and packaged as a magpul but no, and I guess I shouldn't have hoped for that as it is not there fault for the cheap knock offs invading the market. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery, just watch what you buy and only buy from established companies. JMHO </div></div>

I'm glad I came across this post. I was considering the purchase of a PRS on Gunbroker. Now I am concerned about the authenticity of the item. I will have to get more info before pulling the trigger on that.

Hey Madpipe! I'm supposed to call the guy I got my sights from later today to meet up with him. Do you recall who you bought your stock from, might be good ammo in case my meet turns into a pissing contest. Joe

i had a fake PRS. it was actually pretty nice for a fake

everything is being faked today. imagine high end stuff like watches and jewelry. Chicom/Asia is using their counterfeit army to punk everyone, everywhere......... pretty sick! be careful out there.

I know that we are all trying to save our hard earned money in these tough times but every time someone buys an imitation item the legitimate manufacturer suffers; either in the loss of a sale or the loss of consumer confidence.

Just something to consider.

It's amazing how many products are out there that are knock offs - and sell themselves as who they are knocking off. I hesitate to buy anything on ebay, even gunbroker at times as the "deal" seems too good to be true. It leaves with pretty much tried and true vendors...gun shows? I always go in expecting more and leave disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i snagged a PTS AFG2 off egay for 19.50 shipped. upon inspection it looks like real stuff except the magpul words are backwards. box looked like real stuff and did say PTS and it fit the rail on my AR308. i just wanted to see if id like it on the rifle and didnt want to shell out $30+ to do it. it was a US seller, but the other dozen were straight from china </div></div>

i pretty much did the same thing, thought a deal was too good to pass up on ebay and 50 dollars later i got a new set of MBUS paperweights. they were legit magpul but PTS, with no PTS indicators on the actual ebay listing. last time i do that!

Damn Chinese when are they going to quit copying every damn thing! The last innovated thing to come out of china was the egg roll.