• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My crazyy Scope to Rifle matching problem(good one to have)

LCatGA

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
I have quite a few of precision and hunting rifles I accumulated over 15 years. Can't tell exact number now but probably close to a 90. Had some scoped gas guns which now have been moved to PA where I'm buying property to get away from crazy NY anti-gun laws.

My problem is because collection grew over year and in spurts(trades, good vs bad Christmas bonuses, etc) and many times I would buy something if I had free money and found really good deal I have a very poor rifle to scope matching.
some of my better rifles might have a simple Leupold Vr-3 on them and some of the lesser rifles might have a higher end IOR or Bushnell HDMRs on them

I know it's not really important - I can choose 5-10 rifles I use most(like one bolt 22LR, one semi 22 LR, 2 hunting rifles, 1 varminting rifle, few precision rifles set up for different distances, etc) and just make sure what they topped with best glass I have for intended purpose. But my obsessive compulsive nature kicks in and I realized what I need to go and re-match all the scopes I have to rifles. I also need to make sure what I will mate them with proper rings. - For example a fancy looking nice wood gun might get a lesser rings because I'm not taking it in to the deep woods were I can bang it up. Light guns with heavy recoil will get best possible rings bases - I learned a hard way why Christensen Arms recommends a Tally Single piece rings then my 6.5 lbs Cristensen 338LM chewed up a pair of Leupold QD rings and Larue SPR base literally in a few shots each.

Since I have too many rifles in different weights, calibers, purposes, etc. and too many different scopes (from simple Leupolds V2/SightronII/Burris FF all the way to USOs and few good germans) I need to come up with a matching system or I will drive myself crazy.

One approach is to unmounts all the scopes and sort all of my guns from best to worst and start matching scopes to the best gun, then move to next. Would work great if you have less than 20 guns.

Another is to come up with quantifiable matching parameters and do a spreadsheet.
For example - purpose of gun and quantifiers
1)Blaser Double Rifle in 470 Nitro - purpose short distance extreme fast target acquisition: reticle - fastest possible, reliability - ultimate, magnification 1X on the bottom mandatory no more than 4X needed on the top, Adjustment range - irrelevant, weight requirements - do not matter rifle is 14 lbs, light gathering - moderately important, glass quality - less important . Best scope is Trijicone TRG-24 1-4x with Post reticle. (which I took off from my AR upper)
2)Benchrest 22LR - propose - 200 yard maximum extremely precise. Reticle - finest crosshair, reliability - least important, tracking very important, magnification - top magnification of 20X minimum, adjustment range reasonably important, weight - irrelevant, focus - does not have to be a side focus, light gathering - irrelevant(controlled environment), glass resolution - very important - winner - really old IOR form 90s 25x magnification, with huge AO and really fine turrets.(because it's not very usable for other guns)
3) Rem 700 custom build on LSS light chassis 308 with 22" barrel - purpose - SHTF gun, effective range out to 900M - requirements - Reticle - faster ranging reticle, Illumination - highly preferred, should be well controlled(if you have bright illuminated reticle it's useless), Magnification - low on bottom and reasonably high on top, reliability - ultimate, Adjustment range - high(308 to 900 yards), turrets - tactical exposed with ZS, focus adjustment - side adjustment, weight - lighter the better, light gathering - very important, resolution - important
Winner is Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 illuminated with Horus reticle)
And so forth.
You get a drift.
What do you guys think. What am I missing in this system ? What parameters I should also thin about. Some of scopes for example are in silver and will only be mated to the guns with silver barrels. In few cases some of my custom hunting guns have a unique scope mounting systems and require 1" scopes.

Any advices are appreciated - I feel overwhelmed by this task.

I would categorize rifles and scopes into Target - Hunting - Tactical - Rimfire. Adjust categories more or less depending on your personal OCD. Once you have categorized thusly, sorting a category probably won't seem so daunting as 100 firearms.

Sort your categories from 'best' to 'worst' then match scopes to rifles.

I can see snags developing if you have scopes or rifles that are dual purpose - target/tactical for instance. In this case I personally would just make a decision as to which is the primary role and run with it. You might prefer to have more detailed categories to accomodate this.

My two cents. I wish I had your problem!

Last edited:
Yeah that must suck I would just find the ones that you shoot the most put the best scopes on these and then upgrade as you can.

I can not imagine having to remount and rezero 100 rifles. I would choose the rifles that I use the most frequently in various categories and swap the glass and rings on those and leave the rest as is. As others have said "it is a nice problem to have".

Sounds like you get frequent spurts of expendable income. I have gone down this road, but luckily been able to stop myself before going mad.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, in choosing a few rifles that you will actually shoot and then scoping them the best that you can. No need to sell off the old scopes, but instead of buying 5 mid level scopes, pick up one or two high end scopes for your "shooters"

You mentioned the Nitro, that is a very nice rifle, Will you be going on Safari this year? If not put that back in the safe and choose a rifle you plan on shooting more than once a week, or month..Year?

The 22lr BR, sounds like a good one to start with. A NF Benchrest scope, and go have fun. Once that one is set up, then move to your Rem700 truck gun, yes the MK6 will be a great choice. Done, then work on a hunting rifle etc.

Some of the others can just be put together for the fun of it, teach family members to shoot, donate or volunteer with Appleseed and so on.

HunterOneNine - best advise I think it will work great especially if I will increase number of categories - i.e. - medium range tactical rifle, long range tactical rifle, bench rest rifle. lightweight (on foot) hunting rifle, etc
I will also combine it with other people advise by rescoping my best/most used rifles first and categorizing everything else
As far as rifles used - those were only an examples to illustrate width and depth of the problem. I'm not looking to get rid of scopes or to buy a new scopes - I have enough of good scopes to cover rifles which are important and I can always move scopes between rifles.

Yes rescoping/rezeroing 100 rifles is a big task but it will give me an opportunity to take them all out and shoot them. Maybe it will move me to get rid of some rifles(hopefully). And it would defenetly give me something to do in the long winter evenings. :)

Blaser Double will go to Africa with me in June and might go with me on Buffalo hunt before that(I know it's overkill as I killed buffalo in preserves with 308) but it would be fun shooting animal with 470 Nitro. Scoping Blaser was not a problem - it was mentioned only to illustrate problems I have. :)

Thanks