• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My daughter’s latest drawing.

Hi,

@Sgt. Hulka
If any of her school projects requires her to do some website art/marketing brouchure type projects then please let me know. I have a couple of those projects available, with payment to her of course ?

Sincerely,
Theis

Wow Theis, that's an awesome offer.
Thank you, and Allison says thank you.
PM sent.

That is amazing. Instead of hanging in a classroom it should hang in a high end gallery and bring her some bucks.
Does she sell her work? If not why? and I agree about the copyright thing. I would do that sooner than later.
I can see art like that paying a lot of collage/university costs.

Just when I get disillusioned about the current generation I come back to this...you and your partner have obviously taught her some principles of life for her to dedicate time to develop those skills. Proves that some things aren't bought with instant self gratification. Ie...gaming and internet bullying.

My daughter likes to draw, paint, really any kind of art. This is a drawing she just finished. Except for the base color of the water, which was done with water colors, the drawing is done entirely with color pencils. She’s a senior in high school and has always liked to draw. She’s taking three art classes along with Advanced Math, English 4, World History, Environmental Science, and Gymnastics. This is a project for one of her art classes. I just had to show it off.

View attachment 6947805

Hey, art is one of the main things I'm interested in. If I'd had a functional family I'd probably have stuck with it. Since I didn't, I'm only marginally better than I was then. I have my moments, but there's only so far you can go on your own and especially if you have to do "other" stuff. And yes, reflections and clear surfaces are harder than they appear (they're much easier if you know a few tricks though). She executed amazing work and that would sell in a gallery for decent money if exhibited right. I sold a painting of a Blue Jay for $1600 at her age in the 90's and bought my first car so she's onto something, that's a fact.

It's rare that someone has the skills worth taking to the next level. The art world is occupied mostly by those that have no technical skills and those that don't know what they are looking at (case in point, Hans Van Meegeren/Nazi fraud --that ugly monstrosity was confused to be a Vermeer by the "experts"). Or they have savant technical skills but nothing else.

She has the skills. If she decides she wants to do art, she should check into an atelier, there's a good one in Seattle run by Juliet Aristides. She also wrote some books she can check out regardless that I'm certain she'll like. I liked 'em enough to buy 'em, it's rare to come across useful information like that.

My wife is a high school art teacher, she said that is very good and the hardest part is the reflection. I'm easily impressed so I think it's mind blowing LOL.

I partly agree with what your wife said about the technical difficulty of the reflection, yet I feel that is a vast oversimplification of the quality of this work. I of course have no academic artistic qualifications but I am an amateur photographer and a skilled internet bigmouth.

To vastly oversimplify when a photographer shops for a lens he has two main concerns:

(1) The depth of field ie how sharp is the part of the image that is in focus
(2) The Bokeh, the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".

Particularly in lens bought to do portraits Photographers are willing to pay a huge premium for a lens that has a Bokeh that makes the subject background look just right. In the image in the opening post the water has a simply wonderful bokeh, with a dramatic contrast to the hyper-realistic weathered pier boards. This dramatic contrast is duplicated inside the reflection in the sunglasses. These contrasts keep my eye moving around the composition, this leads to an evocation of a relaxed emotional state.

I think that there is so much here that to reduce it to a single thing is an over-simplification. Yet taking that on and owning it, I would say that the most dramatic feature of Allison's work is that She in not telling you about her feelings but inviting you to understand your own.

You guys are awesome. I've been showing her your' posts, and she's just speechless. Thanks you guys for all the kind words. You have made my young lady feel very good about her work. Thank you.

Hey, art is one of the main things I'm interested in. If I'd had a functional family I'd probably have stuck with it. Since I didn't, I'm only marginally better than I was then. I have my moments, but there's only so far you can go on your own and especially if you have to do "other" stuff. And yes, reflections and clear surfaces are harder than they appear (they're much easier if you know a few tricks though). She executed amazing work and that would sell in a gallery for decent money if exhibited right. I sold a painting of a Blue Jay for $1600 at her age in the 90's and bought my first car so she's onto something, that's a fact.

It's rare that someone has the skills worth taking to the next level. The art world is occupied mostly by those that have no technical skills and those that don't know what they are looking at (case in point, Hans Van Meegeren/Nazi fraud --that ugly monstrosity was confused to be a Vermeer by the "experts"). Or they have savant technical skills but nothing else.

She has the skills. If she decides she wants to do art, she should check into an atelier, there's a good one in Seattle run by Juliet Aristides. She also wrote some books she can check out regardless that I'm certain she'll like. I liked 'em enough to buy 'em, it's rare to come across useful information like that.

She's been asked to sell a couple of her painting before, but she just couldn't part with them. This drawing will end up on one of my walls somewhere.

Damn, didn't you just set a record for "likes"? 67 and counting!

It's funny you say that Strykervet, I was showing her yesterday the number of "Likes" she and her drawing received, and I told her that I didn't think I had ever seen that many likes on anything on this board. And now it's up to 71.

I partly agree with what your wife said about the technical difficulty of the reflection, yet I feel that is a vast oversimplification of the quality of this work. I of course have no academic artistic qualifications but I am an amateur photographer and a skilled internet bigmouth.

To vastly oversimplify when a photographer shops for a lens he has two main concerns:

(1) The depth of field ie how sharp is the part of the image that is in focus
(2) The Bokeh, the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".

Particularly in lens bought to do portraits Photographers are willing to pay a huge premium for a lens that has a Bokeh that makes the subject background look just right. In the image in the opening post the water has a simply wonderful bokeh, with a dramatic contrast to the hyper-realistic weathered pier boards. This dramatic contrast is duplicated inside the reflection in the sunglasses. These contrasts keep my eye moving around the composition, this leads to an evocation of a relaxed emotional state.

I think that there is so much here that to reduce it to a single thing is an over-simplification. Yet taking that on and owning it, I would say that the most dramatic feature of Allison's work is that She in not telling you about her feelings but inviting you to understand your own.

Thank you for saying that Diverdon. The background base color of the water is the only thing that's not pencil. She did that with water color. She penciled in the out of focus ripples. She was not very happy with the way the water turned out. I told her that I thought the it turned out very well. So, this morning, I showed her your post. She didn't know what to say. She was really impressed, and humbled, by your and Stykervet's, really everybody's, critique of her drawing. I don't know if she gets that kind of feedback from her teachers and peers at school.

Again, Thank You. You guys made a young lady's morning.

You guys are awesome. I've been showing her your' posts, and she's just speechless. Thanks you guys for all the kind words. You have made my young lady feel very good about her work. Thank you.

She's been asked to sell a couple of her painting before, but she just couldn't part with them. This drawing will end up on one of my walls somewhere.

It's funny you say that Strykervet, I was showing her yesterday the number of "Likes" she and her drawing received, and I told her that I didn't think I had ever seen that many likes on anything on this board. And now it's up to 71.

Thank you for saying that Diverdon. The background base color of the water is the only thing that's not pencil. She did that with water color. She penciled in the out of focus ripples. She was not very happy with the way the water turned out. I told her that I thought the it turned out very well. So, this morning, I showed her your post. She didn't know what to say. She was really impressed, and humbled, by your and Stykervet's, really everybody's, critique of her drawing. I don't know if she gets that kind of feedback from her teachers and peers at school.

Again, Thank You. You guys made a young lady's morning.

Hulk,

May I also suggest that you/she have a high res digital image taken of it, in case of degradation or damage to the original.

It is gorgeous and should be protected against the elements, damage or theft.

Hulk,

May I also suggest that you/she have a high res digital image taken of it, in case of degradation or damage to the original.

It is gorgeous and should be protected against the elements, damage or theft.

Thanks Threadcutter. Actually, that's one thing I'm planning on doing, is taking it to a shop that does that. I'm not sure who does it locally, but I can find out. Not only will it preserve it, if someone wanted a copy of it, or buy a copy of it, we will still have the original. We have a big arts festival, The Red River Revel, starting this weekend here in Shreveport. Artists come from all over the country to show and sell their artwork. I'm going to visit with several of the artists and find out the proper procedure for doing just that.
Thanks!

Simply Amazing!
Your Daughter must Have Eyes of a Eagle!.... To get the fine detail in the drawing , Only she could see her imperfections, and the rest of us are Like WOW!!!
Talent Yep! and then Some....

I had a thing years ago where a friend and I wrote up "Dummy, Sign Board 101." about how to set up a flashing sign board that you see along the road all of the time for CDOT. Colorado.
We worked hard on it for a few hours a day, when we had time.
The goal was to write up instructions that any "dummy" could follow and be able to set the sign and program it as the instructions that came with the sign were really complex and complicated. Nothing clear.
We got it done and tested it with our most confused worker until even he could do it and sent it off to the "office." to be sent to other areas so it could work for them too.
Our Jr. Foreman took it to the next level as he passed it along and claimed all of our work for himself.
He got kudos and cash for our thoughts and writing and a few months later a "New" instruction book came out from the builders of the sign.
It was word for word as to what we wrote except for 2 words that were changed but meant the same thing.
That prick cashed in on our work and never touched it yet got all of the credit as well as the bonuses and I have no idea what the sign company gave him.
To make a long story shot, "Trust Nobody." They will fuck you.
Get those Copyrights before you go down the path that followed me.

FM, I wish I had your way with words.

He's beating around the bush. What do you think he's trying to say?
bellylaf.gif

Thanks FM. I was trying to figure out the process today at work. (don't tell my boss.)

I had a thing years ago where a friend and I wrote up "Dummy, Sign Board 101." about how to set up a flashing sign board that you see along the road all of the time for CDOT. Colorado.
The goal was to write up instructions that any "dummy" could follow and be able to set the sign and program it as the instructions that came with the sign were really complex and complicated. Nothing clear.
We got it done and tested it with our most confused worker until even he could do it and sent it off to the "office." to be sent to other areas so it could work for them too.
Our Jr. Foreman took it to the next level as he passed it along and claimed all of our work for himself.
He got kudos and cash for our thoughts and writing and a few months later a "New" instruction book came out from the builders of the sign.
It was word for word as to what we wrote except for 2 words that were changed but meant the same thing.
That prick cashed in on our work and never touched it yet got all of the credit as well as the bonuses and I have no idea what the sign company gave him.

Copyrights are a funny thing. The creator has copyright of the creation. Now if you created those instructions as a part of your job then most people sign an agreement to assign copyright and patent's to the employer as a condition of employment. But if you never signed such an agreement then that is your (and the co-creators) property. I'm not saying that you should go after it, the most you could get is what someone should be paid to write such instructions and it might not be worth the trouble it might cause for different people you work with.

But if you want to make an issue of it gather up any evidence you have and get ready to have some fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Ya it's sick.
Why in the fuck do all these people call me Foul Mike? I take a bath everyday.
DDon, you know the words, you just have to not give a fuck who hears them.

Copyrights are a funny thing. The creator has copyright of the creation. Now if you created those instructions as a part of your job then most people sign an agreement to assign copyright and patent's to the employer as a condition of employment. But if you never signed such an agreement then that is your (and the co-creators) property. I'm not saying that you should go after it, the most you could get is what someone should be paid to write such instructions and it might not be worth the trouble it might cause for different people you work with.

But if you want to make an issue of it gather up any evidence you have and get ready to have some fun.
It was the same way in school as an engineering student. If you designed something as, say, part of your senior project, and got it patented, the patent and the design would belong to the school.

It was the same way in school as an engineering student. If you designed something as, say, part of your senior project, and got it patented, the patent and the design would belong to the school.

It's a scam all the big educational agencies play to enrich themselves....
Steal all the work of their students and tell them.... You get the credit.... but we get all the money.
At least that's one thing Europe has going for it, your school or your job can't easily steal your patents, unlike here.
Corporations in the USA are even worse..

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Okay, I'm on board and just took the count of likes to seventy three "others" on the first post. If you decide to frame this, have it conservation framed and pick a wall that does not get direct sunlight. A good fame shop, which are often good galleries who do their own framing, will be happy to explain what you need to do because it is more expensive and makes them a buck. If she is uncomfortable with the hues of the water, done in water color, it is because water color is very hard to work in. Generally working in water colors is considered be easier that oils or acrylics. Every medium has it's intricacies, the problem with watercolors is the artist generally has to work quickly and making changes are quite difficult.

The still lifes posted earlier are an exact rendition and require refined technique, lets call it photo-realism. When you look at it your not amazed by the subject matter or the composition. You are amazed by the precision of the technique and that precision is no small accomplishment. Conversely, when you look at Allison's work you are amazed by precision that's actually not there. Your eye is first drawn to the center of the of the image and then to the reflection in the lenses. You fixate on the lenses and the distortion of the image caused by the curvature and then your eye wanders but returns to the image in the lenses. The edges are not refined as in photo-realism but they create the impression. It is wonderfully done. If this is an excersie created by her teacher than she is fortunate to have the teacher. Whatever the case, she is unquestionably talented and that is in a world where the rest of us can not read our own signature.

And nobody beat his ass...........

Holy shit. That's incredible. This is what my son draws. I'm not sure If I'm pushing him out of some kind of swing or if I'm using a chainsaw on him. Regardless, check out those 3 sweet beard hairs.

She willing to do a commission?? Repro an oil painting???

Sirhr

Boy, she wishes she could. She’d have a line of people waiting for a work from her. She just doesn’t have time. Plus, she said she can’t do oil. She does do acrylic though. This is a tiger she did in acrylic. She started earlier this year, but hasn’t finished.

D8262574-EC27-4D90-9BB1-23A0A1E19499.jpeg

Reactions: Barneybdb
Holy shit. That's incredible. This is what my son draws. I'm not sure If I'm pushing him out of some kind of swing or if I'm using a chainsaw on him. Regardless, check out those 3 sweet beard hairs.

I have my share of treasured pictures like that. One is on my wall at work.

From personal experience with other young artists, I'd suggest that one of the hardest things for the gifted ones to do is to figure out how to efficiently monetize their work & be willing to do so.

W54, Damn good point and very true.
Maybe that is where Dad helps out?
I know for sure I would buy some of her work. I would like to see some of that work at an auction.
I would bid high and bid often.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
If she will let you be her business manager and will do as you say.
Specifically finishing stuff & not endlessly changing it around or waiting for an idea to finish it.
Then doing things in a timely manner
Also being willing to make things for clients
Sticking with a specific piece and seeing it all the way through promptly.

Then she could go far and make a good living out of it.

For just 2 examples that I know.
One buckled down, went to art school and studied commercial art & advertising and now makes good money at a job as well as freelancing and doing creative stuff on the side.
The other who had even more talent, wound up working at target stocking shelves.

There are great careers to be had in commissions and commercial art... very lucrative.

Don't forget... all those paintings hanging in museums were not painted by starving-angst-ridden snowflakes living in cold attics in Vienna. They were painted by working artists who took Commissions from their patrons. "Paint my (fill in blank)" Castle, dogs, fruit basket, daughter, estate, garden...

The best artists would then get a measure of freedom/latitude from their patrons to pursue more artistic paintings and sculpture. And many, once famous, opened 'schools' where aspirin painters/sculptures would work under the master. Often staying on after the master died.... accepting commissions for generations from the same patrons/families.

Today, there seems to be some prejudice that if work can be monetized, it is somehow not art. And the artist is not 'pure.' MULE FRITTERS!!!! Talent costs money. Your daughter has it. Remind her that history is on the side of the artists who became successful through their commissions and patrons. Not because they had talent alone. It's their paintings that hang in the great museums of the world.

Without the Medici's and Rothschilds and the Heuygens and the Royal families of Europe... and countless other wealthy patrons. Those guys would have been fish packers.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Yep, she’s got some talent! The reflection in the glasses is awesome.