• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Dog

Porksboy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2019
    I just had to put my Bassett Hound down.
    He puked in the house, went outside and laid down. Thought he had just eaten something that did not agree with him. He had free run of 5 fenced acres.
    My wife looked out and noticed he was just lying there, something did not feel right to her so she checked on him. Barely moving, breathing heavy and very lethargic.
    Bundled him into the car and took him to the vet. The sack around his heart was filling with fluid. Ruptured tumor.
    We had a wonderful 9 years with him and I already miss him.
    Tuesday is gonna really suck when I get home and he wont be here to greet me.
    1630719867543.jpeg

I'm very sorry to hear this, they really are man's best friend.

It’s never easy, but still worth it to share your life with em. Grieve, and when it’s time, get another one.

Sorry for your loss. It sucks losing part of the family.

I just had to put my Bassett Hound down.
    He puked in the house, went outside and laid down. Thought he had just eaten something that did not agree with him. He had free run of 5 fenced acres.
    My wife looked out and noticed he was just lying there, something did not feel right to her so she checked on him. Barely moving, breathing heavy and very lethargic.
    Bundled him into the car and took him to the vet. The sack around his heart was filling with fluid. Ruptured tumor.
    We had a wonderful 9 years with him and I already miss him.
    Tuesday is gonna really suck when I get home and he wont be here to greet me.
    View attachment 7696688
    Sorry Brother. The year anniversary of having to put down my pet of 16 years is coming up. It’s a tough month. I was devastated and two days later I went to the shelter and rescued a 3 month old. It really was the best thing. She saved me. So many animals need good homes......

Sorry for your loss.......RIP

Reactions: UKDslayer
    Very sorry to hear this. Been there myself a couple months ago.
    Its tough. Real tough. I've threatened to quit getting new ones.
    Nothing will replace them, but a new one will assuage the grief.
    My old man's baby sister. She was 2.5yrs when we put him down.
    If it wasn't for her...it'd be a lot more painful.
    20210123_150136_resize_64.jpg

Shit...got something in my eye.

Real sorry brother. They take a hunk out of us when they go.

Sorry to hear that. Dogs are the greatest creatures on earth. I’ll be lost when the time comes for my old boxer.

Very sorry to hear this. I'm just dreading the day that is coming for my little pug. She's the sweetest dog I've ever seen. She's 16 years old, and it's coming, not there quite yet, but any day it could happen. If you can, go get another pup, a rescue preferably. That's the best way to ease the pain.

Been there with our English springer, she had a brain tumor, so sad. Best therapy IMO is get another pup.

This is always rough and especially when it happens suddenly. Our Gunny was just walking along with the wife when he just dropped over dead. I wept for weeks, as he was 1st mutt. He would always tuck me in at night with his big nose, then sleep under the bed. God it was like losing a kid.

I sincerely hope that your heart will mend. For me, adopting another stray helped, but you never forget the great ones. Wishing you the best.

Sorry for your loss. Its been a rough year in all aspects for everyone. When you lose a dear friend, it makes it worse. Back in March, my old pup of 12 years had a 2 hour long seizure at 10pm. My whole household had covid at the time and there was nowhere I could take him. I couldn't watch him suffer anymore and had to put him down myself in the yard. I still hear his toe nails click on the hardwoods and hear his collar jingle around the house. My wife does too all the time. Makes us sad but also a little happy like he's still with us. I hope u and your family find peace, bud.

• Sad
    Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Again, my condolences. We all know what you're going through...had two pass in my arms myself...still brings a tear on occasion.
    If you don't mind, a little friendly advice Wait about a month...find a rescue dog, as always, let the dog choose you. There is always one that says "you're my human". It's like the don't give you a choice

Sorry for your loss. You will see him again someday.

I'm sorry you lost your best friend. I know what that's like and it takes a long time to even come to grips with it. I'm about 18 months out and I think I may be finally able to have another one. Just rips your heart right out.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
    It comes with the territory of owning dogs and you know from day one you'll have to face it, but it's never ever easy.

Brother I'm truly sorry.
    Having lost several I know the pain is very real.

I dont know if you have other dogs but if you dont wait awhile and consider adopting another.
    Wont replace the one you lost but does help fill the void.

Prayers..

unfortunately i can empathize. our almost 13 yo golden retriever was diagnosed with bone cancer just over a week ago. it progressed quickly and we had to put him down a few days ago. other than that he was in incredible shape, hiking 3-10 miles daily mostly with the wife.

I am sorry. It is truly tough. All they want to do is please you. Best thing to fill the pain is to get another.

Our condolences. "Rainbow Bridge"..... if you haven't seen it before, by-all-means google it.

We just got home from picking up the ashes of My Lady's "Fur-Baby" whom passed in our arms a week ago. Almost 16.5 years.... and she's still distraught that she says "never again...."

Sorry for the loss! It’s tough losing a dog!

Sorry for your loss.......loosing a pet is something that will take time.........remember the good times......you will always have that........someday you may find a another dog......not to take his place, but to start a new journey, with another friend.......

Sorry for your lose, went through the same thing a 2 months ago. I knew it was a matter of time and pre dug a grave a couple weeks before the trip to the vet. I still want to save table scrapes and left overs for him

Sorry for your loss. Their time with us is always too short.

We had to put our dog down in March, just now starting to look for another rescue. The house is empty without a dog in it.

Must be tough. Sorry for your loss man 9 years is a long time to forge a solid bond.

Losing a dog, in my experience, is among the most difficult experiences in life. They love unconditionally, and they bring joy to our lives. I’ve been through it several times and it’s always miserable but we find a way to honor their memory by loving a new pup. Sorry for your loss and hope you find peace knowing you gave your pup the best life imaginable.

Thank you all for your kind words.
    Buddy was a Rescue. My sister knew I was looking for a Bassett. A friend of a friend had a brother whos wife had just had a baby. They were afraid the dog would hurt the baby. He was headed to the pound when the brother stopped by. The dog took to me like a duck to water.
    I was working that day and he slept at my desk and bench at work. When we got home he was only about six months old. He was my Buddy and would follow me and greet me when I got home from work. So he was rechristened Buddy. He never met a stranger, never was sad, always wagged in greeting. Tried to talk to everyone in the family. We still have two others, a coon hound and a dog of unknown breeding. they are good dogs but not the huge personality of Buddy.
    He made me strive to be the person he thought I was.

We have lost 2 in the last 2 years. They were both 11 years old. They were with us when my wife and I started our lives together. They were a part of us.

They are buried beside each other in our back yard. It will get better with time, but i hope i can see them again some day.

Best wishes to you in this time of loss.

I made the decision today that I'll likely have my Shepard put down next week.
    I teared up just considering it, but her hindquarters don't work anymore, she's dragging herself around.
    She doesn't seem in pain, as it is neuropathy, but she has developed other issues.
    She is an awesome, loving dog.