• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My el-cheap-o 1200-1400 yard target

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
So I am planning on doing some 1200-1400 yard shooting with my .243.
I think I have a spot were I can get out to that range.

Well I wanted a nice steel target to shoot out. I looked at some of the online companies selling steel targets and while the targets themselves are decently priced...the shipping adds a whole bunch more to the price. Then if you add their target stands your looking at a few hundred dollars.

So...I called up a few of the local steel companies in town and found a 14" x 23" piece of 1/4" AR500 for $30.00.

Next stopped by a sign shop and picked up a A-frame stand that totally dissembles into a pretty compact size (see pics) for around $40.00.

Anyways...just thought I would share my quick and easy portable target setup.

Take care, Stan

Re: My el-cheap-o 1200-1400 yard target

I made something like that with AR400 1/4" plate steel in 10" pieces for around $10 each. Then used pre-cut plumbing pipe from Home Depot and some plumbing T's and right angle joining pieces. They've lasted for years now. Great for handguns, my .308 dings and dents it up a bit though. Need a little thicker piece for that.

Stan,what size is the circle on the plate.Painted orange.Couldnt make it out but what fasteners did you use?

Would the impact of a larger caliber knock it over by chance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 26120mjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Stan,what size is the circle on the plate.Painted orange.Couldnt make it out but what fasteners did you use? </div></div>

I expect to see one of these Thursday. Get busy!!
smile.gif

Circle is about 6"...might make it bigger once I get it out at 1200+ yards. I will see what it look like through the scope.

Used 1/4" SS bolts and cheap kids swing type chain. I will bring some extra along in case I hit it and it breaks from a bullet.

I don't thing it will tip over from impacts...I kicked it a few times, and it seem pretty solid. You have remember it will be being hit with a 107gr 6mm bullet. And at that range (1200-1400 yards) it has less then 500 ft. lbs. of energy. In fact at 1400 yards it is about 320 ft. lbs. according to JBM. So I think it will be fine. If not...I will know pretty fast!

Take care,Stan

I wish I could find a place to shoot even up to 600yds. Lucky to have the space. Good looking target. Shouldn't tip at that range. If for some reason it does, a couple rocks around the legs should fix that right up!

Stan

If you have access to a welding machine, or know someone who does, I would suggest putting two 1"-1.5" tubes on each side of the back. Get some rebars and pound it to the ground. Pick a good berm. It will give you good feedback on your misses.

The hanging frame is good, but I assure you at some point, you may not be able to dissemble it because it's been welded by bullets. Ask me how I know. LOL.

Thanks for the tips HK. Yep...the back stop/berm will be an issue as the area I am shooting in is covered with bunch grass,etc. (up in the high dessert)...so I guess I just can't miss! Oh well...just ads to the fun.

I was hoping to get out tomorrow, but we have a storm blowing it so I have to postpone it till after the bad weather.

Take care,Stan

I made a similar sized target for 1400 once. I wish I had double it's size. We had trouble spotting a vapor trail, and it's pretty easy to miss a 1.5 moa size target at that range until you get dialed in. I imagine at some point you'll have a bullet impact the legs or the chains, which will put a stop to your shooting. I'd look at nylon webbing to hold the target up. It will last a lot longer. My friends always manage to hit the bolts, chains (before I swtiched to straps), and 2" schedule 80 pipe.

I shoot a 20x20 target at 1400. You shouldn't have any trouble seeing that even with a 15x NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made a similar sized target for 1400 once. I wish I had double it's size. We had trouble spotting a vapor trail, and it's pretty easy to miss a 1.5 moa size target at that range until you get dialed in. I imagine at some point you'll have a bullet impact the legs or the chains, which will put a stop to your shooting. I'd look at nylon webbing to hold the target up. It will last a lot longer. My friends always manage to hit the bolts, chains (before I swtiched to straps), and 2" schedule 80 pipe. </div></div>

Rubber conveyor belts and fire hose also works great for hanging steel but watch out of jacket frags stuck in the material after a day of shooting.

1/4 might not last very long against rifles! But a nice design for barely any money, no complaints here.

your target will be fine with 6mm, we have shot our 6x47 a fair amount at steel at that distance and it doesn't have much poop left, honestly you could probably use lighter steel. just don't let your buddies with 7wsm, 300wm and 338's take a crack at it. almost guarenteed they will knock it over or ruin the stand with the splash from impacts.