• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My father passed away.

onechance

Fleet Admiral
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
IN
My father passed away on the 4th. He was the type that always fought for the underdog and got along with all. I was not his biological son, but when my real father found that my mother was pregnant, he moved back to Scotland. After I was born, my mother ended up marrying Bill and he adopted me when I was an infant.

He was always hard on me, but I think it made me what I am today. My father (Bill) was a giant of a man standing 6'8" and weighing 345 lbs. During the Vietnam war, my father tried to join the Marine Corp and the Army and was refused by both due to his size.

When I graduated from high school, I decided to join the Navy. My father's persistance with me to be successful and strive for greater things, pushed me to go into SpecWar. After coming home as a disabled vet my dad a I grew closer. When he reached the age of 67, he found out that he had COPD and Cirrousis of the Liver. I slowly watched him decline in health. Over the last three years I watched him dwindle to a 6'5" 114 lb. man. He drew his last breath at 4:20 am.

I've typed more here than I placed in his obituary. I don't know why, but I think it's due to the comradery on this site. I'm not good at typing things like this, so it may read a little short and out of sequence. I needed Greg Langelius to word and type this, he has a gift for wording things.

I hope no one would ever have to experience, a loved one go through this process.

Dad, I love you! Thank you for all you've done for me.

Re: My father passed away.

Man, I am so sorry for your loss. As I'm sure you've heard, Time heals all wounds. It never gets easier, but you learn to live with the emptiness and find comfort in the memories you made together.

Although he is no longer alive, my hero was and still is, my grandpa. The memories of he and I fishing while standing on a pond bank together are still fresh in my mind. My parents divorced when I was at the young age of 10 years old and for the next 12 years of my life that followed, my grandpa stepped up and took on the role as my dad, my mentor, my hunting buddy, my fishing buddy, my best friend, and my grandpa all at the same time. He's been gone for 10 years and when he passed away, I lost all of those important characters in my life in just one single day. It always seemed as though no matter what was going wrong, he always knew what to say.... Even if what he had to say wasn't what I wanted to hear, I knew it was the right thing to hear. Just his simple words...they always seemed to make sense of the chaos, confusion, or heartache in my life at that particular time. If I can ever become just half the man he was, I'll have accomplished a great feat. He is greatly missed....

Sorry for your loss. My prayers for you and your family. Don't be concerned about your writing, you did your father proud by your eulogy. My father passed away about 15 years ago and I still think about him alot even though we didn't have the closest relationship. Be thankful for the memories, it will take time to heal. I have the utmost respect for a man that will take in someone else's son and raise him as his own. He had character.

I am sorry for your loss, I cant imagine what you are going through. Sounds like he was ONE HELL of a MAN!

3 years ago, I had to be the one to tell my father he had cancer, I sympathize with you.

It always brings tears to my eyes reading things like this. I'm prayin' for you bud.

I am lucky to have a great Father. I thank God every day for him.

Sorry for your loss; but he will ALWAYS be w/ you and right about now he would be very proud of you! Those of us who have felt that loss won't let you stand alone; we are by your side.

You have our condolences and Prayers. I lost my Mom to cancer November 13, 2003 at age 59. There is always a hole in my heart on April 26th and Mother's Day, and Easter since Easter was her favorite holiday.
We will always miss our parents but as I always say to my Pop and his friends,"I'll never be able to grow up until all you guys who call me 'kiddo' are gone, but I like being the kid so live long!" Pop always says, not past 74 kid, I don't want to be the old man in a bed pissing all over. Take me for a walk in the woods on a cold cold day then send me away in a small wood filled boat on fire into the Bodega Bay.

Think of all the great things every day, and all the good things and sooner or later all the bad things just disappear away.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad when I was 18, 30 years ago. It gets better with time, but you never stop missing them. Hang in there and keep remembering all the good times.
Mike

I hope someone here can help you chose the right words fitting for his obituary.
Prayers and sympathy sent. God Bless...

I never knew my father really, but I lost my grandfather to a 12 year battle with cancer. He was the closest thing I ever had to a father.

My condolences to yourself and to the rest of the family, and just try to remember that he would never want his death to weigh on you or bring you to sorrow. He spent his life trying to give and teach you all that was best in him, you know what he would want you to do with it.

My dad passed last year after a short horrible battle with cancer. I've heard that time heals all wounds but I'm here to say that almost a year later it still sucks. I always find some consulation knowing that he's with his father and mother and that he's no longer in pain. Sucks brother, I'm sorry.

Sorry to hear baout the loss of your Dad. I lost my Dad in January and it's still tough. His birthday was last week and he was all I could think about all day. I still have him in my cell phone and for some strange reason can't take him out of it. They say it get's easier and that may be true but it still hurts. I've found that when I get sad I turn my thoughts to a good memory of us and it eases the situation. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

The last lesson I learned from my father was that the only thing that really matters was that his children attended his funeral and not the other way around, the next few months will be hard, God. Bless.

MY condolences on your loss,I had a great stepfather as well,WW2 82nd airborne Vet/30 yr NYC Police and a great father,Korean combat vet 24th infantry,both are gone now.each one that passed made my world just a bit colder,gone but not foregotten.I challenge myself every day to live up to their expectations thru my words/actions.Both were big hearted tough men.You will do the same.

There is a special place in heaven for adoptive parents, God bless him.

I am very sorry for your loss. I will add your father and your family to my prayers.

Also sorry for your loss.

My Mom and Dad just left after spending a week visiting my wife and girls as well as my brother's family. I very much enjoyed seeing them and was sorry to see them leave.

Life is too short as it is; no need for living it filled with regrets for the things you didn't do for the people you care about. Or the sentiments and respect you didn't offer to them.

Your words for your father are sincere and well said.

My condolences for your loss.

Best wishes for your recovery from this loss. From what U descrived, I wish I had met him. RIP

Very sorry for your loss. I was in a tore op when pop died but afte a while you learn to live with it. That was 8 yrs ago an to this date i sometimes pick up the phone to ask him a question and relize he isn't home with mom. prayers sent your way. crow hop

Condolences.

When my dad passed away (three years ago), a friend told me his dad had been gone 20 years and he still thought about him every day. I think about my dad everyday.

Very sorry for your loss. He may not have been your biological father, but it sounds like he was truely your DAD. Prayers sent to you and yours.

You and your family are in my prayers.

I lost my Dad when I was 19. I have lived each and every day with him in my heart. If he were still alive now he would be 88 years old. But I still have my Mom. And at 85 I do all her shopping and bill paying.

What you are going through is one of the toughest things in life, to loose a loved one. I have learned to live with the loss. But I still think of him every day. With time the hurt you feel will get better. It won't go away. But it will get better.

God bless.

I'm sorry you lost your father. It's good to hear you remember him in those ways. Always remember him like that.

When I think of my grandmother I lost a few years ago the first thing that pops into my head is how she looked just before her long battle with cancer ended. The medicine had taken so much out of her by that point. Then I remember her as the wonderful woman she was for so many years of my life and I feel much better about it.

Thanks for all the kind words,support and prayers. He was laid to rest yesterday, I feel he's finally at piece and so am I.

Very sorry to hear that- Lost my Mother on March 10th of this year; 10 months since I got home from my last tour. Irony to this is, 3 weeks after I got home from a tour in 05 my Grandmother (mother's mother) passed away. The date was March 9th. My Mother was laid to rest exactly six years to the day after her Mother. This did not occur to us until my father pulled a memorial service booklet out of his pocket from the last time he wore his coat the day of my Mother's funeral. It was the booklet of my Grandmother.

My Mother has been 50% of my support system through my tours. Given how close I am with my parents (no wife or kids) and the amount I lean on them durring difficult times, I fully empathize with your pain. Every day I wish I could talk to her just one more time.

Sorry to hear that you lost your Dad. Sounds like a hell of a guy. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your entire family.

I lost my Dad in June 2009. I think about him every day. You will think about yours too, but your good memories will get you through the hard times.

onechance, Sorry to hear. As has been said thoughts an prayers are with you. Almost lost mine recently but due to excellent care I have him for a while longer.
Considering what I see at times through work an other observations it puts things into perspective. A good loving parent has more value than some realize. Obviously made an impression which will no doubt be carried on. The world would be an absolutely amazingly better place if all parents were to the standard of the excellence provided by some.
Take care, God Bless and NEVER GIVE UP!