• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my first .22, which savage to get?

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
like the title says i'm looking for a .22, something i can shoot all day, might even start competing(only if i am actually good, other wise just gonna tear up some paper). i've got it narrowed down to 3 just not sure which one

mk 2 f- $185 out the door
mk 2 fv- $195 out the door
mk 2 fss- $ not sure yet

it's my understanding that the fv and fss are basically the same except for blued and stainless barrell. both are heavy barrel if not mistaken

f is not heavy barrel, and had open sites, but can still add the scope

all have accu trigger

so unless i am missing something which would be a good choice, this will also be the first rifle i've ever purchased.

was also considering the vortex crossfire 6x24-50 from swfa for $99, but was also wondering if that would be to much, the local range is max 220 yards

Re: my first .22, which savage to get?

i think the FSS starts around $230 or $250, i can't remember. i actually have an TR-SR and the FSS. i bought the FSS b/c it had fiber optic iron sights and i like that. I like having a gun that i won't run optics on and just practice shooting w/ irons. the FSS is not bull barrel. i don't think any of the Savage bull barrels have iron sights. but they're all very accurate. and i enjoy shooting them. the FSS is much lighter than my TR-SR. if i had to do it again though, i'd just end up getting either the Stainless spiral fluted version, or the FV-SR, since it's 16" heavy barrel and threaded.

Of the three I would go with the FV as it is the only model with a heavy or varmint barrel. You may also want to look into a BV with the laminate stock. Unless you were already planning on changing out the FV synthetic stock with a Boyd's Tacticool stock.

The $99 Vortex Crossfire scope is not a horrible choice, but understand it is Vortex's budget line of scopes and is only a $99 scope. I picked one up last year and have been very pleased with it. It tracks well and glass is not bad for the price. It's a reasonable starter scope for a rimfire and 24x is NOT too much magnification.
wink.gif

Scope base look at a DIP 20MOA base and Burris rings are good quality at reasonable prices.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/products.aspx?CAT=3602

If your budget can afford it you might also consider a CZ452 varmint or American while they are still available.

thanks for the info guys. so the main difference with the bv over the fv is the wood laminate stock? if this is the case i'll stick with the fv because I found a wood laminate stock i'd like to get, just not sure how makes them, i've seen several actually. they are greyish in color, then have some green or some blue in them, very sharp looking if you ask me, probably little more expensive, but i'd rather save for one of those.

once again thanks guys for the info, this is all alot to take in, to many decisions

Go with the FV (heavy barrel) and then grab a stock from Boyds.

the more i look at this 22 setup the more i think i am really going to like it, especially since ammo is in my budget, means i can put few more upgrades into hardware. not sure if i'll ever been good enough to compete, but i have been looking at some of there rules, and might build to fight within those guidelines, it looks like lots of fun, and in the end, that's what it's all about

thanks guys for all the info,

heavy barrel defiantly on top of the list, at first i didn't understand why people changed so many things, but i think it get it now, i'll probably keep the stock factory for now, but i got some cool paint schemes in my head, then the more practice i get, i think i'll have a better idea what direction i want to go

Of what you listed, the FV. However, I'd look at a BV or BTV as well... better stock. Or just plan on catching a good deal from Boyds and replacing the plastic stock

Having had a few of the Savage 22's I would steer someone to spending a bit more at the start rather than trying to construct. The BV comes with a sturdy laminate stock, varmint weight barrel and weaver type mounts already screwed on. Accutrigger also.
This takes you to a pretty decient rig with shooting to be the business moving foreward.

so with the bv and having the varmint weight barrel, is that the same as a heavy barrel? i apologize if this is a silly question, but i'm new at this if you couldn't tell already, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so with the bv and having the varmint weight barrel, is that the same as a heavy barrel? i apologize if this is a silly question, but i'm new at this if you couldn't tell already, lol</div></div>

Yes

then i might just go that route to start, it's a few more bucks, and little different shade than i would idealy like, but i just googled a few and they are starting to grow on me, guess all i would need then is scope and scope mounts and i'd be good to go

ok just got back from checking on a bv and it's $325 out the door so the way i see it i got to options

1- get the bv and have it next week(shop has to order it) $325
2- get the fv with boyds stock, on back order 4 weeks $195(rifle)+ $100 ish(stock) for about $295 total

which would be the better route? i would like it now, but i don't mind waiting, and i relly like the pepper colored stock alot more than the stock colored stock(did i just answer my owon question?)

It is going to come down to what you want out of the rifle.

Are you wanting it to be strictly a training rifle or will it be something you hunt rabbit and squirrel with also?

I just ordered a Mark 2 BTV. Thumbhole stock with blued heavy barrel. I wanted something that is cheaper to train myself on to shoot, but at the same time, i wanted to be able to hunt with it also. Plus it is a very nice looking gun that I will be pleased to pass on to my children when they start learning to shoot.

probably mostly training, and maybe get into competitions, i really don't see myself hunting with a 22, now my hoyt on the other hand is another story

after looking at several of the bv model i am really growing fond of it, the natural wood look is growing on me

is a bipod really all that important or necassirary, i see most have them but i just don't know that i would want to do that to a brand new rifle, might sound silly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
is a bipod really all that important or necassirary, i see most have them but i just don't know that i would want to do that to a brand new rifle, might sound silly </div></div>

Most bipods mount to the sling stud so you won't have to worry about modifying your new rifle in any way.

A Savage .22 is my next purchase as well.

Most bipods mount to the sling stud so you won't have to worry about modifying your new rifle in any way.

I just realized this after doing a little searing and looked at one closer at walmart, so i think i will be ordering this tomorrow, very excited

so since the bipod issue was brought, what might be a good one to go with? i hear alot about harris, those are a little pricey for me right now, i know only get what you want the first time and save money, but i am not even sure i will like the bipod so i was thinking of getting the winchester one from walmart $40 and go from there, can always put it on ebay later

I love my CZs I have a 452 and a 455. They are both shooters. I know you asked about savages but I really like CZs.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok just got back from checking on a bv and it's $325 out the door so the way i see it i got to options

1- get the bv and have it next week(shop has to order it) $325
2- get the fv with boyds stock, on back order 4 weeks $195(rifle)+ $100 ish(stock) for about $295 total

which would be the better route? i would like it now, but i don't mind waiting, and i relly like the pepper colored stock alot more than the stock colored stock(did i just answer my owon question?) </div></div>You said yourself you weren't too fond of the BV stocks. I would go FV and order the one you like from boyds. Mine was also on backorder when I bought it, it shipped out a week earlier than estimated.

NOW ...just so you know. If you plan on replacing with the boyds stock you are gonna need to add in the cost of a new trigger guard, and a new bottom metal. The original ones do not work with the new stocks. Boyds has these parts for purchase as well as some others like DIP.
Factor in about $30-50 more.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SAVAGE-93-E-MKII-22LR-TRIGGER-GUARD-FLOOR-PLATE-p/100-654.htm

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=323657&CAT=3602

You have made a much better choice with the BV. bought one for a friend 2 weeks ago 311.00 otd. However for the scope on a budget go to Amazon and get a tasco 10x40x50 target for 131.00 to your door. I have used 3 of these scopes in the last year on 22s and for the money they are hard to beat. As far as being over powered, You will probaly very shortly have this scope set on 32 power. The above setup should have you shooting 1/2in. groups at 50 yards with match ammo in short order. Hope this helps.

thanks guys for the info, you all have been very helpful to this new guy, hopefully someone else can also benefit from this thread as well.

i think i the bv stocks have grown on me enough to go ahead and get one, i also did not think of having to replace the other parts if going with the boyds stock, so for now i'll go the bv route, and get a scope and head to the range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i was thinking of getting the winchester one from walmart $40 and go from there, can always put it on ebay later </div></div>

Not sure about the quality of the Winchester bipods, but I have a Caldwell XLA and it works very well. You can pick one up on Amazon for about the same price as the Winchester one.

I would suggest the fv-sr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like the title says i'm looking for a .22, something i can shoot all day, might even start competing(only if i am actually good, other wise just gonna tear up some paper). i've got it narrowed down to 3 just not sure which one

mk 2 f- $185 out the door
mk 2 fv- $195 out the door
mk 2 fss- $ not sure yet

it's my understanding that the fv and fss are basically the same except for blued and stainless barrell. both are heavy barrel if not mistaken

f is not heavy barrel, and had open sites, but can still add the scope

all have accu trigger

so unless i am missing something which would be a good choice, this will also be the first rifle i've ever purchased.

was also considering the vortex crossfire 6x24-50 from swfa for $99, but was also wondering if that would be to much, the local range is max 220 yards </div></div>

murtaugh - where are you finding these rifles? I am looking into one also. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBR97</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the FV (heavy barrel) and then grab a stock from Boyds.</div></div>

This is good advice. I still have mine in the original stock, and I love it. I put a big scope on top to mimic my long range rig sometimes.