• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My First Build, with Range Report!

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
Well here is my first shot at building a rifle. I decided to use a savage for simplicity, and was able to find a .243 at a pawn shop. I bought the gun and sold off the barrel, and soon had it outfitted with a 26" Criterion in .260. I have had a great experience with the barrel so far. As of now, I have about 210 shots down the barrel, and I have a load that she definitely likes to shoot! Now that I have the Razor up on top, the build is basically done, although Im thinking that a paint job would be kind of nice. So heres a couple pictures of the gun and of some targets as well. The small group is from 100 yards, and the other set of targets was at 250 yards. I only took one shot at each black square and if they were all put together, it would be just at or under .75". Not bad for a home made gun at 250 yards. I have been shooting out to 600, and it has been great; If I do my part, it seems to be able to hold 1/2 minute accuracy.

20120807_161900.jpg

20120807_161811.jpg

0115121725a.jpg

20121001_205533.jpg

Re: My First Build, with Range Report!

Nice rig. Even more since you did it yourself. Congrats.

yep, no surprise there, 260 with H4350 shoots like a dream, congrats on a home build and good shooting too. that load will go past 1400yds easy.

Just another homebuilt Salvage with 260 CBI tube....<grin>

Nice rifle and good shooting; I may just have to load up a few of your recipe in RP brass to try in my Criterion 260 barrel.

FWIW, I've found 43.1gr H4350 in Lapua brass with 140gr A-Max at 2.90" OAL goes 2820fps and provides similar accuracy.

Thanks guys! It has been a joy so far. Only problem is that she gets a little heavy after a few miles of hiking! Seriously considering building a short barrel model this winter. We'll see what happens!