• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*My first issue with a new Rem 700** is fixed*

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I just bought a new Rem 700 Compact Tactical. I wanted to see how the bolt cycled so I loaded a few rounds into the well. I first noticed that the 2nd one in would not stay down so I had to hold it down with 1 finger and start the 3rd one in and it holds the others down. I have to hold the 3 in the well down while I start closing the bolt on the 4th round so It doesn't try to push 2 in at the same time no big deal I get that part. OK simulated fire. I start to cylce the bolt with relative force, just enough to throw out the simulated spent shell and then begin to send the bolt fwd on a new round no problem. Then repeat the cycle except as I manipulate to the rear to spit out the old the third shell slips up out of the well causing the simulated spent 2nd shell to hang up. I pull the spent out with my finger and then push the bolt fwd again. I don't like having to do that obviously because in a fast cycling situation for instance a followup shot this would really mess things up. I checked into the Badger M5 bottom metal and detachable mag and can't really afford $400 right now to replace the current setup. I am sure the badger upgrade would fix this problem but I can't justify the money. Any advice?

Re: *My first issue with a new Rem 700*

It has a sheet metal box in the stock. (or should have I think) You are going to have
to bend it slightly, or, send it back to Remington it is really their problem. They may
send you a new one just by asking. If you remove the stock make sure the box is
in properly before bolting the stock on. They can sit out of place in the front pretty
easily. Maybe that is all that is wrong with yours now.

Ok, I open the floorplate and got to looking. I noticed that the sheet metal box you mentioned was not seated correctly in the housing and the bottom metal assy. I loosened the bottom metal housing and adjusted the box and retightened and appeared to fit better. I did the same cycle test that I was having the problem with and it is fixed. Thats all it was, was a simple adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It has a sheet metal box in the stock. (or should have I think) You are going to have
to bend it slightly, or, send it back to Remington it is really their problem. They may
send you a new one just by asking. If you remove the stock make sure the box is
in properly before bolting the stock on. They can sit out of place in the front pretty
easily. Maybe that is all that is wrong with yours now.</div></div>

"Fixed" would be scrapping the factory bottom metal all together and getting something from one of the aftermarket guys
wink.gif

In due time my friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Fixed" would be scrapping the factory bottom metal all together and getting something from one of the aftermarket guys
wink.gif
</div></div>