• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first long range stick

DieTrying310

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I have a few other toys in my safe, but this is the first one I got to get me into long range shooting.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Specs:
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 26"
B&C A5
Talley Base
TPS TSR Rings
Leupold 4.5-14x50 M5 FFP
Knob by AZ Precision
Harris 6-9" Swivel

I haven't had it trued or bedded or anything special right now, but probably will in the future. I pretty much only got to zero it when I was home from the desert for a few weeks. I was shooting average 1.5" groups, but I knew the gun was more accurate than that and they were my fault. I could routinely get two rounds to touch then have a flyer due to my mistakes. Plus I was using cheaper American Eagle ammo, so that was working against me also. Just have to practice and continue to work the fundamentals, maybe get some good match ammo too. I'll start reloading one of these days.

Re: My first long range stick

Excellent looking rig. I've got the exact same gun, but far from all the accessories, you have. It's still in the factory mode right know. Looking to do your setup. Are you shooting factory loads, or hand loads? Once again looks awesome.

I would imagine that with a bedding job,trigger job,and some better ammo those groups would shrink dramatically

You are set up just fine. Now learn this gun inside and out, and get lots of time behind it. Lots of people here will advise more and more work for the gun. Just go shoot. Concentrate on the basics of marksmanship, learn wind calls, and shoot until you have memorized your dope. Shoot.

Nice setup!That stock looks very comfortable.Keep burning powder!

After seeing this I'm thinking of doing the same to my 700 Varmin in .243

Nice rig mate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats nice man your good to go. What bottom metal is that. </div></div>

It's made by Wyatt. Proprietary mags is the only real downside. Everything is a bit stiff with it, but it's smoothing out nicely with more and more mag changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom027</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After seeing this I'm thinking of doing the same to my 700 Varmin in .243</div></div>

Do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Chief</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
10rnd mags from wyatt outdoors are a bit big. need to get me some 5rnd'ers</div></div>

The 10 rounders were just too long for me. The 5 rounders are the perfect size.

Thats a nice looking rifle. How do you like that Bell and Carlson stock? Just curious cause I was thinking of getting one for a future build.

B4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B3B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a nice looking rifle. How do you like that Bell and Carlson stock? Just curious cause I was thinking of getting one for a future build.</div></div>

I don't have anything to really compare it to since I'm new to this, so keep that in mind. It's a bit heavy, but it's solid and very comfortable for me. The palm swell is great for large hands and the reach to the trigger feels natural. It's not a McMillam or Manners, but I'm happy with it.

Nice blaster! Your groups will shrink considerably with match grade ammunition. When I got my first LR rifle, I fed it with surplus and soft nose hunting loads from wallyworld, and wondered why I was getting 1 and 2 inch groups! I was pretty disappointed till I tried some Federal Match. Just grit your teeth and spend the extra money, and it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Welcome to the world of LR shooting!

Carefule what you put through your rifle ... treat it well and it will treat you well. Some of the surplus stuff that is cheap will eat your barrel alive. Southwestern Ammuntion is pretty good and well priced. On there website there is a video that I believe was shot by the Hide.
http://www.southwestammunition.com/308winchester.htm

Good luck

both very nice guns, I have just gotten into long range systems myself, that stock looks up to par and I would also think that with Bedding and match ammo will do wonders and kill that flier! lol, maybe a real light trigger? otherwise trigger time will make you more confedent and that is also important.