• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My first LRR - Savage 10FP or FN SPR-A1?

avking

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2011
Boise, ID
I am looking to get into some long range shooting matches and need a good first rifle. I am pretty good with a carbine, pistol and hunting rifle, but by no means an expert in any. My total budget for rifle and glass is $2k give or take a couple hundred, but the less I can spend the better. Also, I will be shooting factory ammo for the first year or so.

I am looking at a Savage 10FP HS Precision for $909 new at Sportsmans Warehouse or a FN SPR-A1 for $1,600. With either model, I will need to add a cheek riser, due to a broken neck. The FN has the 20moa scope rail already, so I guess that saves a little.

Is the FN really worth the extra $700?

I will be going with a Vortex Crossfire if I get the FN, but can afford a Viper or Bushnell Elite 6500 Pro if I go with the Savage.

I was also hoping to be able to use the rifle off hand as well as bench, so I am looking at these two models because they are light enough and available.

Last question, they both have DBM's of 4 rounds. Can I get 8 or 9 round mags for either, without a lot of modifications?

Re: My first LRR - Savage 10FP or FN SPR-A1?

For me a no brainer the FN is the way to go.That said if you need to get a crossfire I'd get the savage and decent glass.Or get a PSS and decent glass better yet.

The crossfire may be ok for a 22 but for a tactical scope I would'nt waste the time mounting it.

Score one of the closeout bushnell 3-12 4200s for around $600 and a used PSS or FN here the come up for sale all the time.You will have a very good setup.

$909 seems like a lot of markup for just getting a stock.

Look at the Savage Long Range Hunter (LRH) Model 11. Great caliber selections (260, my personal fav), muzzle break (for reducing recoil to that broken neck), AND an adjustable cheekpiece. I can get one for $709.

i asked basicley the same question a few weeks ago and the FN was the favorite.

Asked it on THIS forum?

Well, can hardly argue with conventional wisdom. That's why I ask questions here.

I love my Savages but IMO if you need extended magazines, just drink the koolaid get a Remington. They have tons of aftermarket support where Savage is very limited in options (check the Savage DBM thread) and frustrating to get even when you find what you want (see any thread about SSS).

The LRH is a nice rifle if you never want to change the stock. I have no issue with the acuracy of my accustock (you will hear different stories from others) but I don't like the ergonomics and the difference in the bolt release limits the options (that being said I'm thrilled to have an XLR on the way
grin.gif
)

I would more look at the Savage 10 FCP McMillan as apples to apples. The 10 FCP McMillan goes for about $1200. You can get the EGW 20MOA base for $40 or less. That would get you in about $400 less that you could put into better glass.

The FN is a very nice package as well though. No matter what way you go.. I'd make the optics the most important decision over the rifle. Both rifles will only shoot as good as the optics that are on them. Personally, I'd reather have a $600 rifle with a $2000 scope than a $2000 rifle with a $600 optic that would not allow me to take advantage of the rifles capabilities.

Do yourself a favor and read up on bedding. Buy some Devcon from ENCO for $35 and some Johnson's paste wax ($5) at your local store and bed your action no matter which one you go with. Might as well bed your scope base too while at it.

If you need uber accuracy.. you are talking a whole different story and $2K total for the package isn't going to get you there... probably. Do it right the first time and you don't have to think about it again and you can get familar with your "perfect" setup and that is where matches are won/lost.

Good luck brother,
Hawk

FN, yes it is.

Ditch the Crossfire idea, between my Dad and a shooting buddy I've seen 3 of them fail. They both had them mounted on .243's. On a lighter note Vortex customer service is top notch.

I have a few Savages, one of which is a build, and they both shoot quite well, the build being dynamite, however, I would go with the FN. it is as close to a custom build as you can get without going custom. A Vortex Crossfire might last a dozen shots before it goes tits up though. so put some $$$ into an optic. I would suggest a NF F1. its FFP and MIL/MIL, then buy the rifle

Go with the SPR...top her off with a Super Sniper 10X...then shoot it...ALOT!!!

I have had each of them. I have the Savage 10PC at this time. Awesome rifle... Savage all the way!!

Also, I make 10rd mag kits for it too. Just PM me if you go Savage.

DK

Savage 10 with SS glass is a very budget set up and it shoots with the the big dogs out to 1000 with the right loads.

I have no experience with FN, so my comments go only for Savage.

Savages can be built for OUTSTANDING ACCURACY in a garage with basic (but special) tools.

I have a bone stock 10 FCP HS-precision and it shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards regularly, under 3" at 300 and just under 5" at 500 all the time. I have it topped with a Warne 20 moa base, Warne rings, and a Sightron SII Big Sky 6.5-20x50. I have around $1600 in the rifle and scope. The bases and rings I won (in a different sport), and I finished it off with a TAB sling and Caldwell pivot bi-pod. All told, I know I have less than $2000 in the rifle and associated equipment.

Next up is my wifes .243 youth model 16. Shoots 1.5" at 200 yards with factory Remington loads (100 gr core-lokt). It is a shooter, and she uses it on deer and varmint.

If you have issues with neck, I would look at the Savage 10 FPSR (I think that is the model). Has a 24" barrel, drop magazine, and threaded barrel. Find a good compensator (better ask, I don't know what is good or bad). That should save wear and tear on your body. No reason to hurt yourself for the sake of shooting. Depending on how far you truly want to shoot, maybe look into a .243 or a .223 and drop a decent comp on it.

For glass, I would look at a Sightron SII Big Sky or even SIII. My dad just bought a 3.5-10x56 SIII on ebay for $600. Illuminated reticle, 30mm tube, excellent adjustments. Last years model, discontinued, but only because they did not sell super well (per Sightron). I am told that the Super Sniper is also a fantastic scope, I just don't have any experience with one.

Read up on reloading also. You will save some $$$ down the road if you reload a lot. If you are only shooting a couple hundred rounds a year, you may not break even. In that case, Federal Match ammo is supposed to be the hot ticket, maybe look at Black Hills (although, mine does not like it...YMMV).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had each of them. I have the Savage 10PC at this time. Awesome rifle... Savage all the way!!

Also, I make 10rd mag kits for it too. Just PM me if you go Savage.

DK </div></div>
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I want I WANT!

(Edited to answer original question.)

Well, I'm a lowly newb but if you want my opinion go with a basic Savage 10FP and look into a B&C stock. You'll still come out cheaper than $900. I my not be well responded to after saying this, but I've played with a few FN's before, mainly the A3G's and I wasn't overly impressed. Now, before I get drawn and quartered for that comment I'm just saying the ones I've shot didn't perform up to their cost. Maybe someone had played with them prior and didn't take proper care of it. With that said, maybe my Savage is a factory freak, but I have no qualms about sitting down beside someone with more pricey rifle. It's all in good fun, anyways.

When I had my FN-SPR, I shot the best 5-shot group of my life... up until that time anyway, of .467. I got a Savage 10FPLE and blasted a 5-shot group that measured .343.

So needless to say, I had $1200 in my entire Savage setup, which was less than what I paid for the FN-SPR alone.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JES629</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I'm a lowly newb but if you want my opinion go with a basic Savage 10FP and look into a B&C stock. You'll still come out cheaper than $900. I my not be well responded to after saying this, but I've played with a few FN's before, mainly the A3G's and I wasn't overly impressed. Now, before I get drawn and quartered for that comment I'm just saying the ones I've shot didn't perform up to their cost. Maybe someone had played with them prior and didn't take proper care of it. With that said, maybe my Savage is a factory freak, but I have no qualms about sitting down beside someone with more pricey rifle. It's all in good fun, anyways. </div></div>

If the A3gs you shot were not half minute or less they should go back they are guaranteed to perform as such.

I have a savage and fn, and you can't go wrong with either. Have fun deciding!!

Can't tell you about the FN but... I have a savage and am very happy with it. I love the trigger (Accutrigger) Gun is very accurate. I don't buy the lack of options/accessories I have no prob finding needed or wanted items.
That said buy what is going to make you happy.
T

I agree with the above poster, go for the savage.
I started with a Savage 10 Precision Carbine and recently bought a 10 HS Precision, I've been very happy so far.

Put more money into a better scope. You will be happier in the long run.

I got an excellent deal on mine, I will PM you details.

I could build you a custom Savage/Stevens for 1400.00 with optic included that would match my build specs in my sig. Could do it in your choice of caliber and that would include your choice of 10x, 16x or 20x SS glass. Or 1100.00 without and optic. Promise you it will shoot with or outshoot either of those stock rifles. I can give you a shopping list and you can do it yourself or I can help you with it. Use the rest of your money for a Lee reloading kit and unlock your weapon's potential. PM me if you want some help.

Good luck,
Merritt

I have a Savage 10 FCP-K that shoot really good with berger 185 vlds. It is my first attempt at the long range game and I love it. I bought it a year ago for the same price as an 10 fp hs. I dont think that you could ever go wrong with a Savage. I have a Vortex PST FFP that wont be here till April. Can't wait.

I went with the Savage 10 HA Precision. Was able to negotiate a 5% discount. This will leave me just shy of $1,000 budget for a scope. If I had gone with the FN, my scope budget would have been less than $300, so I did not make sense. We have limited opportunities to shoot beyond 500 out here, so I can probably only shoot 6 matches a year if I am lucky and practice is limited to 500 yards most of the time.

I am just going to add a cheek riser and limbsaver pad to the savage. I am shooting .308 FYI. Sometime in the future, I will find a local smith and have it threaded and a brake installed. I already have about 500 rounds of Federal Match and 600 rounds of Hornday Match ammo, so I can shoot for a while, before I need to worry about reloading. Once I run out of ammo, I will get the dies and other needed stuff and reload on my Dillon 550.

I am not a experienced long range shooter, so I am not worried about the gun holding back my groups. It will be some time before that is the case. I went to the range yesterday with my 18" JP AR-15 and the best 5 shot 200 yard group I could do was about 3.5" to 4" with Hornday Match 75gr, so I have a lot of practice to do.

It would have left you in the same position as the FN, but for anyone else with the same questions you can get a Savage 10 BA in 308 for about the same price - $1600 - $1700. And it comes with adjustable stock, muzzle brake, and 10 shot clip as well.

I have a savage 10 bas and I love it,savage makes great rifles for the price. Only experience with a fn is an a3g test target was 3moa have seen this gun shoot .224 moa at 100 yards but not buy me. I think savage is a great starter rifle mine shoots .57 all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TX_M10BA_Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would have left you in the same position as the FN, but for anyone else with the same questions you can get a Savage 10 BA in 308 for about the same price - $1600 - $1700. And it comes with adjustable stock, muzzle brake, and 10 shot clip as well. </div></div>

But the 10BA is really heavy and not practical for offhand shooting. I was able to check one out at Cabelas with a scope and bipod already installed and there is no way I could shoot it offhand.

You can shoot out to 800 pretty easily at the Parma Rod and Gun Club . As far as Optics go you might check with Dan at Hawktech Arms in Meridian and see about getting a Vortex PST in 4-16 or 6-24 .